Is America ready for Lethwei?

JustBleed

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I think Lethwei could be massive here in the U.S and UK. - Given the surge of Bare Knuckle Boxing lately (I mean, 2 billion social impressions and 2.5 million fight downloads? Crazy!), this might have huge potential.

Lethwei is like taking the best bits of Bareknuckle Boxing, Greco-Roman throws, Muay Thai, then sprinkling in some headbutt action. It's intense, edgy, and totally fresh.

Lethwei might just be what we've been waiting for! It's filled with history, packed with technique, and the unique addition of headbutts? Total game changer. You've gotta check out these brutal moments from Lethwei bouts:

1. The video demonstrates a Lethwei move, "Htoe Gowl Tite", where the fighter delivers a swift rushing headbutt followed immediately by a high headkick, showcasing the unpredictability and power of the technique.
gVgxqbP.gif

2. The "Gowl yite" is a side headbutt in Lethwei. Fighters retreat to bait opponents into advancing. As the opponent moves forward, the fighter uses the side of their head, targeting the opponent's face or temple, capitalizing on their momentum for a powerful counter-strike.
qOl8KuE.gif

3. The intense Choke Gowl Yite - a clinching headbutt in Lethwei.
PNLcOWo.gif

4. A brutal KO delivered via a masterfully executed Htoe Gowl Tite, all before the incoming elbow strike even had a chance. It's a testament to the sheer potency of headbutts, arguably the single most powerful strike a human can muster in close quarters combat."

D9cQUaR.gif

5. You know those epic 5-point throws in Greco-Roman? Lethwei's got that same kind of excitement with its takedowns, but without the drag It's like the best parts of wrestling,
fMj5zPq.gif

Imagine Lethwei backed by a budget like ONE or UFC, with a media machine powering it. This sport could skyrocket.

I think that Lethwei in UK could, for sure but I think it would equally be a shitshow.

There is a solid and deep Muay Thai culture in Blighty which could translate at least fairly well, esp given int. exposure with One and Muay Thai in 4oz.

I do appreciate there are some fundamental differences*

That said, I think it would attract some crappy promoters because some of the UK Thai Nak Muay are also purists. A lot of them won't entertain kickboxing, let alone Lethwei but I hope I'd be wrong.

I'd hate it to end up as purely a spectacle, rather than a spectactularly skilled show. We have enough solid fighters on these shores.

* for the purists

One Championship was gonna do Lethwei at one time, but now One is walking carefully with Thailand. BKFC also said they would do Lethwei in the future. I will wait and see.
Just seen your post.
Would BKFC be good to Lethwei, or just sign over the hill MMA fighters willing to get bloody?

I'd love to see the skill levels up high.

Just seen your post.
Would BKFC be good to Lethwei, or just sign over the hill MMA fighters willing to get bloody?

I'd love to see the skill levels up high.
BKFC was making moves in Thailand, but know they wont get good gate money there and time differences and bets wont work so well when you doing fights far from USA. Doubt will continue to do many shows there thus Lethwei plans doubtful.

What do you mean?

I only see "sanctioned" via a sanctioned body and as it stands, Lethwei does not seem to be sanctioned by any regulated body.
The TS is asking if it could be big in the United States and if a company like the UFC/TKO could push it. It would be difficult because those fights are not sanctioned in any state other than Wyoming. The UFC can't even have fights with knees to downed opponents or even 12-6 elbows, I can't imagine them being able to promote fights with headbutts and a count that doesn't really stop the fight.

An established company likely would not want to be connected to it. Could be possible for a big Lethwei org in East Asia or Oceania I think, but the States is a long way to go.

Last edited:
The TS is asking if it could be big in the United States and if a company like the UFC/TKO could push it. It would be difficult because those fights are not sanctioned in any state other than Wyoming. The UFC can't even have fights with knees to downed opponents or even 12-6 elbows, I can't imagine them being able to promote fights with headbutts and a count that doesn't really stop the fight.

An established company likely would not want to be connected to it. Could be possible for a big Lethwei org in East Asia or Oceania I think, but the States is a long way to go.
Would the promotion have to set up their own sport specific sanctioning body?

Would the promotion have to set up their own sport specific sanctioning body?

I think in the United States they likely would have to use their own refs, judges, etc. Still, with an unsanctioned sport it will be hard to find strong platforms to show it or quality ads to generate revenue.

It would have to be a very grassroot project that goes viral on the internet for it to have any chance of a future.

I think that Lethwei in UK could, for sure but I think it would equally be a shitshow.

There is a solid and deep Muay Thai culture in Blighty which could translate at least fairly well, esp given int. exposure with One and Muay Thai in 4oz.

That said, I think it would attract some crappy promoters because some of the UK Thai Nak Muay are also purists. A lot of them won't entertain kickboxing, let alone Lethwei but I hope I'd be wrong.
I love that the UK fighters are like that. You can really see how much it pays off in the ring.

One Championship was gonna do Lethwei at one time, but now One is walking carefully with Thailand. BKFC also said they would do Lethwei in the future. I will wait and see.

Bkfc has that bare knuckle Muay that fight in November. I think they’re on their way to lethwei

I do appreciate there are some fundamental differences*

I'd hate it to end up as purely a spectacle, rather than a spectactularly skilled show. We have enough solid fighters on these shores.

* for the purists

LOL okay that's why UK guys spar like this?

The real question is can you get to a pay grade that would attract fighters willing to take the level of damage that comes with all that?

Didn't their most prominent champion die from something brain related recently? Too too?

I have no idea what your post implies

Looks to me UK would have no problem with lethwei with a gym culture like that.

And on topic, wasn't WLC signing UFC vets for lethwei? That died pretty quick whether due to covid or not. That leduc clown probably didn't help it's image either. My only problem with lethwei is the fighters technique are all terrible and they just brawl with 0 skill.

Looks to me UK would have no problem with lethwei with a gym culture like that.

And on topic, wasn't WLC signing UFC vets for lethwei? That died pretty quick whether due to covid or not. That leduc clown probably didn't help it's image either. My only problem with lethwei is the fighters technique are all terrible and they just brawl with 0 skill.
Your video reply to my comments don't mean a thing.

Lethwei can look a lot scruffier because of the nature of the fight. There is no opportunity to backfoot and outpoint your opponent. It's balls to the wall fighting but I've seen some incredibly well skilled Lethwei bouts. You need to look harder dude.

The real question is can you get to a pay grade that would attract fighters willing to take the level of damage that comes with all that?

Didn't their most prominent champion die from something brain related recently? Too too?
Too Too was likely wrecked in captivity. Had nothing to do with Lethwei.

Back