Is Islam Makhachev the most well-rounded fighter in MMA history?

By the qualifications given I'd actually say Usman would be up there, he was very well rounded as champion, probably better than Islam in all areas other than maybe wrestling, but he was very effective there too.

I don't see how you put Islam Makhachev over GSP or Jon Jones.

Let's keep Islam's record in perspective: He has zero title defenses against 155ers. Now, I have no doubt he will be Poirier with his wrestling. But does he beat Gaethje? Arman? I'm not convinced.

Butterbean might argue with that!

Butterbean is for sure in the conversation, but I think he is a little taller, so his height to width ratio would prolly put him at #2

Otherwise they might be virtually identical :)

lol

Islam had a handful of ranked fights and people wanna talk about 'best in history', for fucks sake
He has the potential to climb imaginary rankings, yes. His mentor also had such potential but quit too soon. Lets see how his protege will do.

20rpesn_medium_medium.gif
show me the gif of islam avenging his loss.
Different circumstances, it's not Makhachevs fault Adriano Martins ended up being a bust, cut from the UFC and is regulated to fighting in some amateur orgs. What's Makhachev going to do? Chase Martins in some no name org and smash him, which everyone even the haters know Makhachev would do, just to prove some fans wrong? Makhachev ended up being a champion, it's not his fault Martins couldn't reach the pinnacle of MMA other than being able to say he beat Makhachev one time.

Fedor who is considered "GOAT" by many never avenged his loses to Werdum, Henderson or Silva, but people still put him on pedestal.

Looking at the guy's skillset, he really has zero weaknesses. Statistically least hit fighter in MMA history, elite wrestler, elite ground game, KO'd one of the best strikers.

All the GOATs had weaknesses, but not this guy

- GSP: finishing ability
- Jones: boxing
- DJ: undersized, takedown defense
- Fedor: loopy punches, lower body takedowns
- Silva: takedown defense, can't lead

If only he fought more he'd already be a top 5 GOAT
Fedors only downside was father time I guess he couldn't adapt with his age

Islam is very underrated he has great wrestling his striking is very underrated he's koing guys that should be smoking him.

Weather that's due to fear of a take down is irrelevant because that is his style he can clinch grapple and strike well but he's greatest weapon is his grappling and to beat him you need to keep it on the feat and keep him from being able to get a take down and also be able to out land him..

Nobody at 155 has really tested him with wrestling changing it up.

Except for volk who has the best tdd and good grappling but Islam could out strike him

Who has he fought though, he has fought a few top guys, he needs to have a very long title run and reign for many years and beat all the number 1 contenders in LW and keep winning. Come back to me in 6 years and I can go over it again if he is to be mentioned.

I don't think we can really have this conversation about Islam now, it's way too early. While he does have a very well rounded skill set and elite grappling, it's more the application and actually seeing it applied vs top comp fight after fight that shows how good a fighter really is. We've seen in vs Olivera and a FW in Volk. Compared to someone like GSP, DJ or Jones, there are 10-15 title fights vs top fighters that show their skill set.

We've seen very technical highly skilled and well rounded fighters reach the top, but then not do much. Piotr Yan is an example. Fighters need to show it over long periods of time.

Back