Is it fair to say Alex Pereira is the best striker in MMA history?

K-1 is a different sport, though, and it's been proven many times that K-1 success didn't always follow fighters into MMA. That's like saying someone is the best MMA wrestler ever because of their credentials in the Olympics, D1, etc.

Maybe it's just GSP as the best wrestler and Anderson as the best striker in MMA if you'd look at it like that. Pretty fair point.

Reactions: mkt
Perhaps his resume still needs some work to catch the likes of Silva etc.

However it's hard to say there's a better p4p striker than him in MMA history. Has the credentials, the technique, the power, and the belts.

1. Pereira
2. A. Silva
3. Dillashaw
4. Ngannou
5. Volkanovski
Alex, Mirko, Overeem, Hunt, Saki, Shilt, LeBanner, Izzy...

notable mentions
Dekkers, Mercer, Toney

+Art Jimmerson

After the Chito fight, please put Sean O'malley up there too... I don't like the Kid, but I cannot deny how great of a striker he is.

Alex only knocked out one person?
Nope, but he was flatlined two fights ago. You can't be the greatest striker ever and be knocked out to fights ago. Just like Max Holloway isn't the greatest boxer in the UFC if he loses the volk three times in a fucking row. The majority of MMA fans are reactionary irrational and fucking stupid.

The "GOAT" MMA striker being a guy whose style disregards most ideas on technique and acquired the majority of his credentials in another sport is fitting. Pereira for MMA striking GOAT

Im between Silva and Alex. Id consider them equal in terms of precision, timing, speed, killer instinct.

Silva had better reflexes and was more unpredictable.
Alex doesnt fool around and has more power.

Prime x Prime, man..................... Alex has a better chance at sleeping Andy than the opposite. It looks weird writing this up but I guess it is what it is.

Im between Silva and Alex. Id consider them equal in terms of precision, timing, speed, killer instinct.

Silva had better reflexes and was more unpredictable.
Alex doesnt fool around and has more power.

Prime x Prime, man..................... Alex has a better chance at sleeping Andy than the opposite. It looks weird writing this up but I guess it is what it is.
I agree with you. I think Anderson could do more voodoo and he KOd people with elbows, knees, front kicks. But Perreira just bides his time, figures things out and then knocks you out cold.

The only knock on Perreira is that aside from Izzy he hasn't really faced any great strikers (Strickland is good, but one dimensional). I think he starches them, but it would have been fun to see him vs. Prime Whittaker, Yoel, Rockhold, Jones, Till, Vitor, Anderson, Moussasi etc. Dude isn't young so those fights could have happened if he started MMA sooner.

Probably James Toney, or Semmy Schilt were the best strikers in MMA history, but neither was very good at MMA.

Maybe it's just GSP as the best wrestler and Anderson as the best striker in MMA if you'd look at it like that. Pretty fair point.
Yep. Jon Jones is one of the best wrestlers as well, and he only wrestled at the junior college level. Yet he outwrestled like 5 or 6 D1 guys (similar to GSP) and an Olympian in Cormier.

Also, Overeem could use the larger gloves an his huge, juiced arms to protect his face in K-1 with zero threat of a TD. The striking style has to be modified for MMA, just like wrestlers have to be considered about being punched/kicked/kneed/submitted/etc. in MMA.

he seems to be the most successful in mma iirc, Izzy aside are the closer maybe CroCop with the OWGP and Overeem as Strikeforce champion?

I agree with you. I think Anderson could do more voodoo and he KOd people with elbows, knees, front kicks. But Perreira just bides his time, figures things out and then knocks you out cold.

The only knock on Perreira is that aside from Izzy he hasn't really faced any great strikers (Strickland is good, but one dimensional). I think he starches them, but it would have been fun to see him vs. Prime Whittaker, Yoel, Rockhold, Jones, Till, Vitor, Anderson, Moussasi etc. Dude isn't young so those fights could have happened if he started MMA sooner.
It's also worth noting that while Silva didn't face too many high-level strikers, he KO'd Belfort and outstruck/stunned prime Hendo. He also destroyed prime Rich Franklin twice. I don't remember anyone else outstriking Rich except Machida (very early pre-UFC fight). Franklin beat and outstruck Wand twice, and was winning the standup with Hendo, who had to resort to LnP to win a close SD. Oh wait...TRT Belfort also KO'd Rich, along with Bisping, Rockhold and everyone else he fought in that era besides Silva and Jones.

Silva overall. Alex lacks defense which is not something to gloss over. Anderson hardly ever got hit in his prime, and before that matrix era he had a great high guard. There is a reason that he had never had a single drop of blood spilled in a fight before the age of 40.

On top of that he had one of the best pound for pound chins. Could tank bombs. Pereira as cro magnon as he looks in the skull, can get hurt and put to sleep. The low guard and lack of head movement doesn't help.

Anderson also excelled in pretty much everything standing. Boxing, muay thai, TKD spinning kicks, flying knees, hybrid moves like all the crazy elbows and the front kick to the face. A deadly thai clinch. High guard blocks, checked almost every leg kick thrown at him, could dodge everything like Ali and Roy Jones jr. He's the one.

Reactions: mkt
Nope, but he was flatlined two fights ago. You can't be the greatest striker ever and be knocked out to fights ago. Just like Max Holloway isn't the greatest boxer in the UFC if he loses the volk three times in a fucking row. The majority of MMA fans are reactionary irrational and fucking stupid.
You just changed what you said earlier. Is it because he lost or is it because he has only ko'd one person? Pick your best MMA striker then. all the great mma strikers have either been outstruck at one point or got KOd

Perhaps his resume still needs some work to catch the likes of Silva etc.

However it's hard to say there's a better p4p striker than him in MMA history. Has the credentials, the technique, the power, and the belts.

1. Pereira
2. A. Silva
3. Dillashaw
4. Ngannou
5. Volkanovski

Hey guys. I found TJ's sherdog account. <lol>

Top 20ish maybe.

8 fights in the UFC while having a hilarious size advantage for most of them, and getting badly KOd, isn't screaming "greatest of all time." Honestly, top 20 is probably even a stretch at this point.
Anderson got slept by a non striker and we still call him the goat

Back