Is it just me or were the 90s an especially creative era for action movies?

Well I believe that it is quite common to refer to the original trilogy simply as Rambo I-III. Who the fuck wants to type out First Blood: Part II every type they reference the movie?

Separates those of us who were there at the time and savvy vs. those who weren't. If you wanna call FB 2 Rambo 2 then whatever. But calling First Blood Rambo 1 is inexcusable. That movie is fucking great and any honorable cinephile would have the courtesy to refer to it properly. Well, unless maybe if they're some wet-behind-the-ears Johnny-come-lately who developed an ignorant habit early.

Come at me bro.

giphy.webp

Separates those of us who were there at the time and savvy vs. those who weren't. If you wanna call FB 2 Rambo 2 then whatever. But calling First Blood Rambo 1 is inexcusable. That movie is fucking great and any honorable cinephile would have the courtesy to refer to it properly. Well, unless maybe if they're some wet-behind-the-ears Johnny-come-lately who developed an ignorant habit early.

Come at me bro.

giphy.webp

Let me blow your mind. . .

Why is Rambo III called Rambo III if we weren't mean to refer to FB and FB: Pt. 2 as Rambo I and II?

Checkmate, motherfucker!

It's very strange to watch the first Rambo movie after you know the character. He's so much different than what he became. And as being a 90s kid(born in 86) I def knew the name Rambo as hardcore action star then I watched the first movie and he regretfully kills like 2 cops.

For sure. That's why @shadow_priest_x is right when saying that calling First Blood an action film is debatable. It was an anti-war film centered around a man who was lost and broken from the experience. But then some hicks bit off more than they could chew. The ending of that film with Richard Crenna is great acting by Sly.

The sequel was balls to the wall action, by contrast. Saw that on theatrical run and people loved it. Still one of the movies I've seen where the theater was most filled with cheers. If not #1. So much fun.

Rambo 3 sucked.

Rambo 2008 was back to being fucking awesome. Less superhero BS, and more of the intensity and grittiness of First Blood. The .50BMG action was brutal. And Stallone was back to trying to avoid violence. Well, more or less. :cool:

Why is Rambo III called Rambo III if we weren't mean to refer to FB and FB: Pt. 2 as Rambo I and II?

Checkmate, motherfucker!

Clearly based on that and the shittiness of the film they were full-on pandering to morons at that point.

That's probably why they went back to Rambo:blah blah with the 2008 film. They were hoping to shake off the stink that Rambo IV would have attracted.

Checkmate, motherfucker!
but then why is Rambo IV just titled Rambo???

I'm saying that the 90s is the best decade that we've had so far, not the best decade that it's possible for us to have. The hope is that writers will make more of an effort toward developing creative and clever plots in the future. I'm issuing a call to arms.

Do you think that in 2090 they'll still be looking back a hundred years to the 1980s and 90s as the peak of action films? I hope not.

I sincerely do think that..... it's a prediction, so take it with a pinch of salt.

I suggested that, in response to your future hopes, Hollywood will not interested in true creative minds, just profit makers.

Of course, in that many years time there could be a cinematic/creative revolution, fighting back against the profit driven, creatively redundant Hollywood, but I'll never see that time so I pay it no mind really.

Alas, as I stated, I sincerely think the creative peak has been reached; in 60 years they may think they're coming up with original new works, but you'll clearly be able to look back and see it's been done before, and better, by the classics of OUR time.

Here's my gold standard for Hollywood action from the 80s/90s:

Aliens
T2
Die Hard
Predator

I really can't see these being topped.... ever (hyperbolic statement, I grant you that), but that's my prediction.

The first Rambo I'm not even sure I'd call an action film and Rambo II and III actually aren't that good.

Let's look at our 90s lineup:

Terminator 2
The Matrix
Total Recall
True Lies
Demolition Man
Die Hard 2
Independence Day
Blade
The Rock
The Long Kiss Goodnight
Robocop 2
Desperado
The Crow
Face/Off
Double Impact
Under Siege
Speed

This is only including movies that I think are very-good-to-great. I could go on with films like Cliffhanger, Executive Decision, Rapid Fire, Showdown in Little Tokyo, and The Big Hit.

And this is also without going overseas and fucking with what John Woo and Jackie Chan were doing at the time.

The 80s were great and produced a lot of great films in the genre--some of the greatest, in fact--but if you told me I could only keep the action movies from ONE decade, it would be the 90s. Hands down.

First Blood is not action??? That’s crazy, he goes into the woods and kills dozens of policeman, jumps off a cliff, stitches his own wounds, and introduces us to the survival knife. All action. And your list isn’t bad but is filled with sequels from better movies in the 80s.

To my original list, I add:
Tango and Cash
The Running Man
Bloodsport
Top Gun
Escape from New York
Red Dawn
Lone Wolf Mquade
The Untouchables
They Live

Bam,,,,,this debate is alive and well!!!

Back