Is it possible to cook a steak in an oven that actually tastes good?

Yes, bro. Sear the sides quick to lock in the goodness and then toss it in the oven. Actually surprisingly good.

You needs to make sure its in a castiron skillet. Then make a sauce with the drippings, butter red wine and bang a great french dish

And "bang a great French bitch"

Okay, corrected. I'm in.

I dated a french canadian in undergrad and there is nothing better in life than hearin g".... how to say .... suck your cock time?".

I always broil my steaks. They turn out perfect like 95%+ of the time.

Alright dingleberries of the 'berry, here's a great reverse sear method to make the best steaks.

- Season steaks how you like. I prefer S/P, sometimes G/O too or if I'm feeling frisky will buy a premade rub. Season liberally.
- Turn oven to 250*.
- Put steaks on a cooling rack over a foil lined cookie sheet.
- slow bake steaks until about 5* below desired temperature (i.e. med rare highest temp is 135*, go to 130*). remove from oven to rest for a min
- Get pan high heat hot, add 2 tbsp butter, and immediately add steak to the pan. Let the butter simmer under the steak for 1-2 mins or so (more if wanting greater than med rare)
- Add 2 tbsp more butter, flip steak, add aromatics. Baste steak with melted butter using a spoon to keep even browning. Once 2 mins up, remove from pan and set on cutting board. Let rest 5 mins, slice against the grain, serve.

None of "sear in the juices and bake" nonsense. For the sous vide folks, you can do the same, just really make sure your piece of meat is super dry on the outside after removing it from the bag. Yesterday I did SV tri-tip, and wrapped it in paper towels to fully dry it out before searing on the grill.

This is the way.

508a31478921c8852be00c608c242bc05f1e2a2d.jpg

I know grilling is better, but is cooking a steak in a conventional oven any good? The lazy person in me wants to just throw it in the oven instead of pan searing or grilling because it’s less time consuming.
Cooking a steak in an oven....
Is it just me or does that sound super gay?
No homo btw

But be a man and grill or fry that sumbitch

Yup, done it with a tri tip and it came out good.

Cooking a steak in an oven....
Is it just me or does that sound super gay?
No homo btw

But be a man and grill or fry that sumbitch

The method I laid out will give you the best steak you've ever had. Oven to cook for even temps, sear at the end. Delicioso.

For fucks sake, some of you make shit harder than it has to be. Learn how to cook a steak and you don't have to worry about reverse sear or God forbid souse vide. Once you learn how to feel a steak for doneness, it should never take more than 5-6 minutes for a perfectly cooked steak. The exception may be if you're using the broiler and can't get your steak close enough to the fire.

For fucks sake, some of you make shit harder than it has to be. Learn how to cook a steak and you don't have to worry about reverse sear or God forbid souse vide. Once you learn how to feel a steak for doneness, it should never take more than 5-6 minutes for a perfectly cooked steak. The exception may be if you're using the broiler and can't get your steak close enough to the fire.

Or, there are better methods than just toss on the grill and flip. Especially if the steaks are more than 1" thick.

Of course you can. I know it's been said but all you have to do is cook at very high temp either before or after you cook it in the oven. I simply sear it in a hot as fuk pan then bake it till it's medium rare

Reverse sear in the oven, yes. Slow bake at 250 until about 5 degrees below internal target temp. Remove from oven. Turn oven on broil, broil 30 seconds per side to brown, done.

Searing first doesn't "lock in juices" either.

You roast meat. You bake cake. Get your terms correct.

But I agree with you.

I roast tri tip at 225 until I hit 128 on my probe. I yank it out and let it rest. I pull the probe and jam a carrot spear in the hole to plug the leak. Then I torch it with my Su V gun.

http://www.youtube.com/shorts/OG16jq4wmSQ

Or, there are better methods than just toss on the grill and flip. Especially if the steaks are more than 1" thick.
Not IMO, it can't get better than cooking on a grill, taste wise. Doesn't matter how thick the steak is, just need to adjust the heat. It's not something that can be taught, but it is something that can be learned with practice.

Not IMO, it can't get better than cooking on a grill, taste wise. Doesn't matter how thick the steak is, just need to adjust the heat. It's not something that can be taught, but it is something that can be learned with practice.

Yeah, not true. Don't get me wrong, a grilled steak can be amazing, but there are better ways to prepare a steak if you have the time.

Source: me, a part-time chef, whose business partner is a classically trained chef, who has worked in Michelin restaurants. Many of which use sous vide for their steaks.

I guess I effectively cook a steak in the oven when i do it on the Weber, so yes it's definitely possible.

I've never been sure why reverse sear is better than searing first to be honest.

Back