Is it time to close 145 women division?

Yeah. Amanda steamrolling Cyborg was awesome but the division should’ve ceased to exist after that fight. It served its purpose.

It's way passed time to shut it down. The division was made for Cyborg and Cyborg couldn't even hold on to it against the blown-up Nunes. Who is Nunes supposed to fight there now?
And who is Nunes supposed to fight at 135? I'd rather see Nunes vs GDR 10 than Nunes vs any other girl from the 136 division lol. Just shut down 125 and 135 and make Nunes fight GDR, valentina and Hold repeatedly. Anyone else doesn't make any sense.

What is there to gain by closing it. Also, for Amanda's legacy, she deserves to be champ, champ.

Close the division and she is champ champ no more.
She's not paid like a champ champ though. 450k for her in what her 9th title fight.

I am really surprised we haven’t had a TUF season, or just more of an effort to sign more women for the division.

This is just one division that doesn’t yet have the depth to handle being spread across multiple promotions. Worldwide you have: Nunes, Cyborg, Spencer, Anderson, Budd, Nogueira, Zingano, Harrison and maybe Shields down the line.
Umm... they actually did that. They signed 8 girls for the last TUF that have been competing in 145 after having TUF tryouts. All of those girls that were signed at the end of the season, dropped down to 135 in their next fight. The last girl that Megan fought that was sined just to fight her, also dropped down to 135. One of the girls that lost in that TUF and had a 0-2 record in the 135 division on the UFC, was the one that reached the finals against Kayla Harrison in the last PFL.

And by the way, the PFL tournament is a 155 division, not the 145 that Nunez is defending. Shields fights at 160 in boxing. I'm not sure if Kayla con dropped down to 145 but I'm sure Shields won't be able to. Would have to be a catchweight if you want Nunez vs Shields...

I don’t mind having the female 115 division or the 135 division (the 125 is trash), but that last tattoo chick was coming off a two fight win streak over two bums that were 0-0 in the UFC.

Like cmon now and she got a title shot against Nunes off that. And this bum fighter had the nerve to call it HER card just cuz someone said that they wouldn’t sleep with her. Looking like Stewart from MadTV.

Cyborg is gone so there isn’t a purpose of having it around if there are only soccer moms and laundry ladies left in the division. I don’t wanna see anymore of them get hurt by the Lioness.

Mid 90s to 2013 WMMA was not something to make a living for. However, by 2013, first WMMA started. Has not even been 10 years.UFC 1 was in 1993. So going on almost 30 years..so 20 years past WMMA.

The pattern will be the same between how mens MMA evolved to women's MMA. I called it when Ronda was dominating the UFC. I just looked at the patter before Chuck Liddell..so before 1997...so 1993 to 1997...and it was dominated by wrestlers once the judges rules changed. But point is, the wrestlers were winning. Ronda was winning. Then Liddel came and knew how to TDD big time wrestlers. Anderson silva came around this time...So Amanda came just 3 years later in 2016...pretty close...So 3 years in WMMA opposed to 4 years.

Well, MMA has become very stacked and more exciting in competition. Once pride fell...the influx of competition..in 2007 was obvious in the cage...We are now going on 14 years later from that 2007 time.....so if I add 14 years from 2013, its a guess of course, but in the mid 2025 and on... I think WMMA will become very stacked with good fighters.

I see WMMA growing in a shorter time since the sport is so well developed now.Top new fighters you will see coming are around the corner. But the competition by 2025 ...I expect...to see a major change in the fighters overall...It won't look like it does now...I can say this because I watched the sport and the sport now is much more fast paced and skilled.

I think the WMMA right now is on the brink within the next 5 years to seeing major changes in who dominates. It will eventually turn into musical chairs for sure by 2030..but by 2025 we will see how much it has grown.

Last edited:
Umm... they actually did that. They signed 8 girls for the last TUF that have been competing in 145 after having TUF tryouts. All of those girls that were signed at the end of the season, dropped down to 135 in their next fight. The last girl that Megan fought that was sined just to fight her, also dropped down to 135. One of the girls that lost in that TUF and had a 0-2 record in the 135 division on the UFC, was the one that reached the finals against Kayla Harrison in the last PFL.

And by the way, the PFL tournament is a 155 division, not the 145 that Nunez is defending. Shields fights at 160 in boxing. I'm not sure if Kayla con dropped down to 145 but I'm sure Shields won't be able to. Would have to be a catchweight if you want Nunez vs Shields...
Oh right, that is the issue with TUF — they have to make weight 3-4 times in 6 weeks so fighters usually compete up a weight class. Just let them make the weight once at the start and do the rest of the fights at 155 on the show — especially since they aren’t official fights anyways.

Kayla’s last fight was at 145 — she can make the weight she is just a conscientious objector to the practice of weight cutting. But she is open to it given the opportunity.

I’m not sure about Shields but my guess would be that she doesn’t cut much weight, if any, for her boxing bouts. That could just be another aspect of MMA that she will have to learn going forward. She looks to be about the same size as Nunes, as they’re both billed at 5’8.

I don't get why you need to "kill" the division. It's the most fan in all WMMA. Just let Megan Anderson and Felicia Spencer there and pair them with some 135ers not cutting weight like they were doing with Cyborg before. Those 2 have some of the highest finishing ratios in WMMA and we need shit like that with all the "glorified sparring sessions" in the lower divisions.

And make Amanda defend in her division the 135 belt only like any other champion. If in the future, somebody, a new fighter manages to beat Megan or Felicia, then that fighter will probably put on a better fight against Amanda than any of the contenders in the 135 division.

And who is Nunes supposed to fight at 135? I'd rather see Nunes vs GDR 10 than Nunes vs any other girl from the 136 division lol. Just shut down 125 and 135 and make Nunes fight GDR, valentina and Hold repeatedly. Anyone else doesn't make any sense.
Umm.... GDR fights in 135. Her titleshot against Nunez was in 135. She fought only once in the UFC at 145 against Holm. All her other fights have been at 135. Holly Holm also fought Nunez at 135. She always fights at 135. She only had 2 fights at 145: One against Cyborg and the other against GDR for the made up belt created to fight Cyborg. Also Nunez has never fought at 125 and she can't make that weight, so why close that one? I think you are very confused about who fights where in the UFC...

Yes and the other wmma divisions too

I honestly wouldn't be bothered if they drop the 125 mens as well

GDR fights at 135 too. They don't have to fight at the higher weight. Same for Holm. Pena will probably get a shot now that Holm pulled out of her fight with Pena.

As long as they keep it open more women will come in time and in the mean time it is great Amanda gets to make history.
Right now though it’s a pretty sad state. There are a lot of people who get lucky with certain physical attributes that can carry them far when they like sports but they can not compete and none of it comes natural . These people usually move on from sports in high school and don’t make the college teams or are aware enough to stop but I feel like it’s all I see in wmma is like hobby level athletes . like Megan has improved over time but she’s still awkward and mentally not equipped to do something like this . She is better than average but not great. She is the typical average martial arts nerd . Physically and mentally to awkward to be an elite athlete but her frame and determination has carried her far. If there was more legit athletes in her weight class she wouldn’t make the top 10. Amanda could still be #1 though. So you have these women at the top of their divisions who no one can come close to and the rest and amateur athletes

It was time to close it 5 years ago when Rousey lost and the Cyborg superfight was no longer viable.

I don't think it's necessary to eliminate ALL women's divisions...only those from 85-200 pounds.

Honestly it's not practical at all, but in an ideal world I'd like to see the following solution:
  • Let Amanda keep her belt and continue to be called the Bantamweight/Featherweight Champ-Champ.
  • Slowly phase out WFW. All fights currently booked go on as planned, but no new fights are scheduled. Any fighters with a decent record who can make 135 can stick around at Bantamweight if they so choose, others are released from their contract.
  • WFW goes on as a placeholder "ghost division" with Amanda Nunes as the only member and undisputed champ, its sole purpose being to stick around until it's needed as a meeting place for talent from outside the promotion to come and challenge the Lioness in Superfights *cough*Kayla Harrison*cough* *cough*Claressa Shields*cough* (assuming the latter could even make 145).

I'm disagree. Amanda Nunes v. Zarah Fairn Dos Santos is the fight to make.

WAR ZARAH

I stand with complete solidarity with women in MMA.

What I don’t stand for is them being put on a pedestal over a more talented male counterpart when that female athlete isn’t even a good fighter.

Their marketability is the only factor that I’m okay with being the exception to that rule.

But if she’s Jessica Eye, not good looking in my opinion, crappy attitude to boot, AND is a terrible fighter for UFC standards, how the fuck is she on the PPV of a massive Conor McGregor card?

I am really surprised we haven’t had a TUF season, or just more of an effort to sign more women for the division.

This is just one division that doesn’t yet have the depth to handle being spread across multiple promotions. Worldwide you have: Nunes, Cyborg, Spencer, Anderson, Budd, Nogueira, Zingano, Harrison and maybe Shields down the line.
They did. It was terrible, and full of bantamweights, because most fighters move up in weight for TUF
What is there to gain by closing it. Also, for Amanda's legacy, she deserves to be champ, champ.

Close the division and she is champ champ no more.
What is there to gain by having it? Keeping Nunes a two division champion? She’s not. She’s a champion with two belts: one real division, and the other a novelty. You don’t need two belts when they’re marketing you as the GOAT. Also, saying or uSing the phrase champ champ makes people sound like they rode the short bus to school.

They did. It was terrible, and full of bantamweights, because most fighters move up in weight for TUF

What is there to gain by having it? Keeping Nunes a two division champion? She’s not. She’s a champion with two belts: one real division, and the other a novelty. You don’t need two belts when they’re marketing you as the GOAT. Also, saying or uSing the phrase champ champ makes people sound like they rode the short bus to school.

Well personally, I prefer a shorter bus. Less retarded opinionated people to have to deal with.

I got it, you don't like the female 145 pound division. And you did not answer the question you just asked another one.

Back