Is Judo effective in a streetfight?

So you did two years of Judo and was able to throw around some Gracie combative guys? I don't believe it. lol

The punch defenses are not designed to work against boxers or Muay Thai, they won't work. They'd drop you with a leg kick anyway.

I got a little annoyed with them too since I am primarily a striker. If I come to grappling class, I don't want to learn half assed striking counters I'd never use. OTOH if you're ONLY doing grappling, maybe you better understand how to enter off a punch.

That's why Judo or any martial art can not stand alone at a high level and MMA was born.

Goes back to what I said earlier, a man needs to know his limitations.

I can't tell if you are sarcastic or not, but yes I was able to throw the people my size, when they came in with those silly punches. It was a very low quality gym that used to be a karate studio until the owner decided Gracie Combative was more lucrative.

Anyway, it seems to me people interested in self defense should learn how to punch. Why not do MMA ? The reason I keep coming back to is MMA is hard and painful and most people interested in self defense don't want that hard training.

I can't tell if you are sarcastic or not, but yes I was able to throw the people my size, when they came in with those silly punches. It was a very low quality gym that used to be a karate studio until the owner decided Gracie Combative was more lucrative.

I'm not surprised you could throw them around, 2 years is decent if you are a good student. Blue belts don't have great standup and it's a Gracie mcdojo.

There are legit Gracie gyms that train self defense and everything you would expect from a sport BJJ gym, sparring, tournaments, legit, black belt instructor, etc. It's a good idea to teach escapes from all the major holds, some ideas for how to enter the clinch, the rest I could do without. Mostly "punch defense" remains because few people cross over into striking.

Anyway, it seems to me people interested in self defense should learn how to punch. Why not do MMA ? The reason I keep coming back to is MMA is hard and painful and most people interested in self defense don't want that hard training

That's it really. I've had this conversation with a number of coaches, average people today can't tolerate much contact. I'm not talking busted noses and concussion but light to medium sparring and moving around with head gear, big gloves and shin guards. People quit.

Even guys who can grapple competitively seldom want to get hit at all. Many BJJ only grapplers admit they don't do Judo because falling hurts.

They want to train in some "legit" art like Kyokushin or MT for bragging rights but only housewife friendly cardio kickboxing style. lol

That's why MMA teams will ask how many years of BJJ and MT and if you are willing to fight. That tends to weed those people out.

Last edited:
If we wanted to get the average person into MMA we'd have to ditch our TVs and revert to Spartan warrior culture.

Still, show the average MMA fighter a sword and some persians...he's out of there just as fast. lol

If we wanted to get the average person into MMA we'd have to ditch our TVs and revert to Spartan warrior culture.

Still, show the average MMA fighter a sword and some persians...he's out of there just as fast. lol

Do you think Judo is a good weapon to have in a street fight?

Hell Yeah!!! I think it works best for street fighting if you focus most of your training time on street fighting (as opposed to competition fighting)....and of course learning the true art of using your opponent's momentum against himself. Also learn to think of strikes as your Kuzushi to off balance him before making him kiss concrete.

It doesn't work, obviously it was the lava and aids needles that hurt him

Hahaha, they are bothering the judo mascot for some tournament! Watch out the tiger knows tai-otoshi...

In my humble opinion, being a judoka and BJJ practitioner, I believe Judo is more of a well-rounded self defense system, in comparison to other grappling sports-with Sambo being on par. Judo has superb takedowns, that can be easily translated into no-gi applications. Once it hits the ground (literally) judoka have strong pins, while in dominate positions, to apply arm locks, chokes, or strikes. With that said, BJJ practitioners have very technical groundwork and speciality submissions, that judoka lack. However, most BJJ schools start sparring from the knees, so they lack the practice in takedowns. All fights start from the feet-I feel bad for someone pulling guard, doing a 50/50, or berimbolo on concrete. Judo is like my wife, and BJJ my mistress; Judo, in my opinion, being most practical.

Yes, it is very good for street fighting, any martial art or sport (i.e. Wrestling, boxing) where you go live against a resisting opponent is good for self defense. A good throw on pavement is probably all you need in 99% of scenarios.

These type conversations are a joke. "This is better than that". "Arts that have resistive training are the best".... total bullshit. As a cop, I've witnessed, participated, and reported on PLENTY of real fights between people. 99% of the time, untrained people. Guess what, they still hurt each other. 2nd as a TKD blackbelt (5th degree), I have knee'd, elbowed, punched my share of assholes too and I promise it was noticed. As a Judo blackbelt, I've throwed dudes but even more important, I've controlled the standing position while trying to be thrown or pulled down. As a BJJ blue belt, I've maintained control while waiting for backup. However, at the end of the day, I've had dudes kick me, punch me, head butt me, etc. & though I am trained, I could not stop the threat, just had to deal with it. Training in any art helps prepare you for that.

Last, saying that TKD kicks or punches dont work but another striking art does is illogical. The body only moves in so many ways. One style calls a kick X the next calls it Y. Who gives a fuck? It's still a kick. TKD guys train for sport, no doubt. But so does every other style. Guess what? No one is confined to the limits of the sport side of their style. It is quite possible to be a badass before learning any art, then learn the art, and still be a badass with more tools. It is also quite possible to train everyday in a style like gjj or judo yet when the shit hits the fan, you are a coward. I'll taking a non coward TMA or sports karate guy everyday over someone whose ass puckers up first time they feel a threat. Shit happens, style and belts don't help, your skill and reaction does. Period. People have been fighting since Cane killed Able. The fighting has been effective. No one knew Judo or BJJ yet someone has prevailed.

That being said, I'm working on my bjj blackbelt cause it's fun and effective for a cop. I still love tkd & judo though & know plenty of warriors who practice both.

No way, you should take a rape prevention class instead. That's real fighting.

To paraphrase Frank Mir on rolling with Demian Maia, "if he had wanted to have sex with me I don't think I could have stopped him."

I'm no striking expert, but back when I first started, I was surprised how instinctive it was to dodge and block a punch against the average guy. Your mind just kind of says, "I don't want to get hit" and your body just kind of moves to deal with it.

Truth be told, in a "street fight" the other guys is most likely going to throw a haymaker with their dominant hand. Usually, their dominant hand is by their back foot. That said, it's not that difficult to see the punch coming and either block or dodge it, close the distance and grapple an untrained fighter.

TL;DR Judo is effective for combat. But it's also smart to learn some boxing.

I'v recently restarted Judo after doing it for maybe a year as a kid but me and my friends have been disagreeing about teh merits of it. I say it would obviously be an advantage in a street fight as it improves you're balance, grip and grappling strength as well as adding various techniques such as throw and submissions etc, i mean i'm a big guy but i got easily threw around at practise by people that werent even trying. They are trying to say taht it is useless because if you go into a fight looking for a throw you will more than likely be caught by a punch and get smashed.

Do you think Judo is a good weapon to have in a street fight?
The only time judo is not effective in a street fight is when your opponent has better judo ... If taught well

Nice necro.

There's a vid floating around of a guy punching a cop/security guard/meter man and said uniformed man osoto'd the mf on concrete to instant unconsciousness

I took Judo briefly as a kid and used it only once. While play fighting one day with friends, one lad who was a bully joined in, acting like he was play fighting with me, but was going harder, trying to escalate it basicly. When he came in to push me, I pulled him in to me and flipped him over my hip. I can't even remember what the trip is called but that worked.

you dont even have to dump someone head first onto concrete. first time I got full force judo thrown on a thin mat onto my back completely knocked the wind out of me for like 30 seconds.

I guess its also more likely to be ruled as self defence than punching someone.

you dont even have to dump someone head first onto concrete. first time I got full force judo thrown on a thin mat onto my back completely knocked the wind out of me for like 30 seconds.

I guess its also more likely to be ruled as self defence than punching someone.

That's one of the better things about it. Easier to justify tripping someone or throwing them then holding them in a pin or submission vs. punching their face in a la Muay Thai.

Back