Is Karate really this useless?

Status
Not open for further replies.
HOLY SHIT

Is this the real Street Fighter Tournament? 1:01 ::

M_BISON.png

Why are they white belts?

Here's another and I think much higher level against a nobody. Karate guy was super cocky too. God I love this video

And the problem with most of these traditional stand up is that they don't teach you clinch. Once they get inside the pocket its over. That's why boxing and MT beats their ass.

Ahaha people that diss on lay and prayers don't realize that the only reason wrestlers aren't literally killing people left and right is because the Octagon is padded to prevent it. Wrestlers are at a huge disadvantage compared to what they'd do in real life and still dominate the sport

100% - your context was correct just added to it.

Most older Kyokushin fighters/practitioners had the benefit of being Judoka on top of the Karate they learnt - they were more complete fighters. Unfortunately like you said it isn't the case today. Most Kyokushin guys have no clue when it comes to basic grappling and how drastically striking changes when you can get grappled - a lot don't want to acknowledge the problems Kyokushin training has as well - Kudo has its fair share to but everyone accepts it. I learnt the hard way lol.

Our Kancho in Kudo himself was a Kyokushin pracitioner and a Judoka - who later formed Daido Juku Kudo after the little grappling elements Kyokushin originally had in competition got completely stripped out. Kyokushin never really taught extensive grappling from what I've read up on it - just very basic things - even though Oyama probably knew Judo.

Traditional Karate though like you said had a lot more standing grappling in it - in fact if you look at Okinawan styles of Karate they still have the standing grappling aspects. I've posted this video a lot in grappling/karate threads but I'll post it here - it demonstrates some of the standup grappling that existed in Funakoshi's style before it became shotokan:

Karate after all is a combination of Tegumi (okinawan wrestling), Te (okinawan hand fighting) & Fujian kung fu styles - somewhere though after it got to the Japanese mainland all the grappling aspects got lost - my theory is that ww2 & a lot of the knowledgeable students (that would have lead karate forward) passed away during the war & some stopped training altogether. I call it the lost generation.

Lots of Asian martial arts died out in the 20th century.

Old Kung Fu -- Used to be used in death matches and the Chinese had real fighting circuits just like the UFC in the 1800s. Mix in WW 2, Mao's mass starvation, and the Chinese outright banning martial arts during the peoples' revolution.. and they're all gone. San Shou is all that remains.

Pradal Serey -- Pol Pot almost executed them all. It BARELY survived and is reviving itself now.

"
During the chaos of the Vietnam War, Cambodia was undergoing its own civil war. On April 17, 1975, the Maoist Communist rebels, the Khmer Rouge, overthrew the government of the Khmer Republic led by Lon Nol. The Khmer Rouge's plan was to eliminate modern society and create an agrarian utopia.[12] The Khmer Rouge executed educated people, others who had ties to the old government or anyone who was believed to be advantaged by the old society (doctors, teachers, soldiers, actors, singers, boxers, etc.) and forced the remaining Khmer population into labor camps, in which many died of starvation and diseases, to be re-educated under the new government. Traditional martial arts were banned at this time and many boxers were executed or worked to death, which nearly caused the death of pradal serey. An estimated 1.7 million Cambodians or 21% of the population died during the Khmer Rouge regime according to the studies of the Cambodia Genocide Program of Yale University.[13] This lasted for four years until 1979 when the Vietnamese along with ex-Khmer Rouge officers, including current prime minister Hun Sen, overthrew the Khmer Rouge. During the relative peace since the departure of the Vietnamese and the re-establishment of the Kingdom of Cambodia, the country's traditional arts were revived, including pradal serey.[14]

Pradal serey is making a strong comeback since its prohibition in the 1970s.[15] Cambodia is making an attempt to market their style of boxing at the same caliber as Muay Thai even though its status as a fourth world country renders a lack of financial funding. Numerous gyms have opened and large masses of students, local and foreign, have come to train in Cambodia. There are weekly matches held, the majority televised live, and many of Cambodia's best have traveled internationally to compete. There are currently approximately 70 boxing clubs nationwide.[16]

"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pradal_serey#Downfall_and_revival_of_pradal_serey

Asia was a really shitty place to be if you valued human life during the 1800s and most of the 20th century lol

That's why so many TMAs seem like bullshit. They weren't always bullshit. They all used to be used in competitive fighting circuits just like MMA or in real fights to the death.

What happened was Asia went through basically the apocalypse for almost 200 years straight and that shit stopped while people just tried to live. You think people are gonna be worried about preserving MMA knowledge after a nuclear war lol?

Thank god for the Thais marketing Muay Thai around the world in the 1990s.

Last edited:
I got my stance from Karate, the moving forward and background wide stance is really useful, allows you to punch or kick and then quickly bounce back. So no its not useless if you know how to use it. Its just that there are lot of karate fighters and don't know how to use it. Some Karate styles are unrealistic and there is a lot of fake karate fighters.

Real karate guys are really good with striking someone and then getting out quickly and not allowing you to hit them. Against a boxer, you could confuse the hell out of him with using kicks only and keeping distance and not getting in his range to allow him to punch you.

What I don't like about karate gyms is that they never seem to work on the physical aspect of fighting, the most they do is push ups/ ab workouts and flexibility workouts and the rest is all karate training. You get guys that learn how to kick really well and are fast but there is no power behind their strikes. They are really skinny and weak.

I did two years of kyokushin. Came out with an 8 pack. Conditioning was intense and the sparring was hard. My instructor was a third degree black belt and North American champion. All bouts won by knockout. He'd kill either of those guys. So no karate is not useless at all.

I did two years of kyokushin. Came out with an 8 pack. Conditioning was intense and the sparring was hard. My instructor was a third degree black belt and North American champion. All bouts won by knockout. He'd kill either of those guys. So no karate is not useless at all.

doubt anyone is questioning the effectiveness of Kyokushin or any other full contact karate.

doubt anyone is questioning the effectiveness of Kyokushin or any other full contact karate.

Unfortunately a few trolls like SummerStriker did earlier in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back