Is Ortega still the man to beat Khabib?

Dana's Moonface

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Some guys on here believed Ortega was the man to finally beat Khabib.

Are you guys (you know who you are) still of the same opinion?

He’s got heart! I don’t see khabib putting ten punch combos together like Max tho. IMO it’s a close fight Ortega will try to stand and bang like tonight and khabib prob tries to dry hump him for 5rds.

Last edited:
More doubtful after this trip to CTE City, but it's not like Khabib is going to box him up like that. Ortega is amazing on the ground, and that's where Khabib likes to go. It's a fight I'd love to see still. I still think he matches up better than Max.

I mean. I can't imagine anybody repeatedly taking down Ortega without getting submitted.

lol this post isn't directed to me but idc
khabib would beat ortega. stand-up and chin wise they're mostly even, but khabib has better cardio and better grappling. he would literally just grind ortega out. most likely a boring fight, and most likely a unanimous decision or submission victory for khabib

only possible way i can see ortega winning is through submission obviously, but khabib would see it coming and stay 10 steps ahead.
besides there's no way ortega will be able to get a fight against khabib now ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

He matches up well stylistically but offensive submissions are typically nullified at the highest level of modern mma so I think he wouldn't have an answer for the ground and pound/top control pressure

Styles make fights.

Khabib won't try to stand with Ortega and they seem to be pretty even on the feet with Ortega having more finishing ability on the feet. Khabib will be the one taking it to the mat, and thats where Ortega is most comfortable. Ortega simply couldn't get Max to the ground, but Khabib will gladly take down ortega and that jits off his back is insane.

Dont underestimate ortega off this loss.

The doctor would have to step in again because Khabib would literally murder him.
Please no.

I mean. I can't imagine anybody repeatedly taking down Ortega without getting submitted.
I hope you are kidding. Even Werdum isn't guaranteed to get a submission when he's taken down and he has submitted the likes of Fedor, Cain, Nog, and Reem off of his back. Who in the hell has Ortega ever submitted to garner such a reputation? Serious LOL for this gross exaggeration and for thinking he'd submit Khabib

I think he's got a very good chance stylistically.

I think anyone who takes Ortega down is in for trouble period.

What part of what happened tonight makes it any less of an argument?

Khabib is never going to do what Holloway did to Ortega tonight, it'd be a completely different challenge.

I personally think Ferguson needs to have his chance to prove he's the man to beat Khabib before we look elsewhere.

The doctor would have to step in again because Khabib would literally murder him.
Please no.

If he would literally murder him, won’t the cops step in instead of the doctor?

Khabib would smash him. People think it's as simple as, one guy has lots of submissions, other guy fights on ground, submission guy is gonna win. Ortega's BJJ is great, but Khabib leaves very little openings, and is probably the hardest guy to submit in the UFC off of your back. Ortega has never submitted anyone even close to Khabib's caliber on the ground, and Thiago Tavares was controlling him on the ground before Ortega knocked him out. Khabib would maul him.

Khabib could honestly just stand with Ortega and outbox him easily, he'd have the advantage on the ground, but he wouldn't even need to risk it.

Yes he could beat him.
Playing grapple with one of the best bjj artist isnt safe

Javier mendez would have khabib prepared and khabib would relish opportunity to bang bro

Back