Is Sean Strickland MMA’s answer to Floyd Mayweather ?

Fruitsaladsushi

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
both are scarily similar …Both have Technically advanced striking, brilliant Philly shell defence, the ability to frustrate their opponents and make them miss… finally the cardio and work ethic to fight all rounds …now both world champions, beating the GOAT of their eras .. hey they’re both bald too…

the similarities are endless … is Sean Strickland our Floyd ?
1379228396000-09-14-2013-Floyd-Mayweather.jpg

images

Last edited:
They both are scarily similar …Both have Technically advanced striking, brilliant Philly shell defence, the ability to frustrate their opponents and make them miss… finally the cardio and work ethic to fight all rounds …now both world champions

1379228396000-09-14-2013-Floyd-Mayweather.jpg

images

no he is no Floyd

They both are scarily similar …Both have Technically advanced striking, brilliant Philly shell defence, the ability to frustrate their opponents and make them miss… finally the cardio and work ethic to fight all rounds …now both world champions, beating the GOAT of their eras …

I don't really understand this comparison. Sean copying the philly shell that Dustin Poirier already popularized in mma doesn't really indicate he is comparable to Floyd.

So to answer the question, "Is he our Floyd?" No. Absolutely not. He stands no chance of going on the undefeated run that Floyd did. He just had the right style to beat Izzy at this particular moment. I give him a decent chance in the rematch that Dana seems intent on making but it won't protect him against the other contenders in the division.

They’ve both gained equal achievements… both championships.. don’t write off our MMA guys
Sean is a great fighter and was impressive
But Floyd dominated for over 20 years undefeated, beat 23 world champions, was champ in 5 weight divisions and is possibly the greatest boxer in his generation.
Let's not get too carried away

I know you're saying this in jest but as good as Sean is, he isn't even 10% of what made Mayweather a god in the ring. Funny comparison though. Floyd is so good at what he does, he has entire nationalities of people that hate him for "running away" despite the fact that the whole sport of boxing is to hit and not get hit back. The man is quite literally hated for being good at his job.

Let's see Mr. Strickland rack up some title defenses before we compare him to one of the best boxers of all time.

Philly shell stance >>> the entire art of kickboxing

Last week I dreamt I was a world champion boxer and someone asked me in an interview “who inspired your style?” And I said “floyd mayweather jr, the greatest of all time”
I don’t train boxing, rarely watch it and I’ve never seen a mayweather fight

Let's forget Jones, GSP, Fedor and Silva. The REAL GOAT IS IN THE HOUSE.
Well Strickland is modern era …this is an argument to be had… the training and skill level is far superior today compared to the past which was quite rudimentary .

Back