is welterweight the weakest it's ever been?

It's not the weakest it's just more boring.

It's not more boring, it's just less GSP. I hardly see how anyone at WW is more boring than a GSP fight.

But nonetheless, GSP had and still has a ton of fanboys, for what ever reason they think he's not boring. Good for them.

It's boring as watching paint dry but definitely not weak. Easily the best division if you're a fan of men humping each other for 15-25 mins.

Did your favorite fighter just lose TS?

Cerrone, Rda, Masvidal, Askren, Lawler, Colby, Ponzi, Pettis, Usman, Woodley, Maia, Edwards,Wonderboy.....Lmao it is full of killers. Point me a more stacked division right now.

What the fuck? Lol. No.

Absolute ghost of a division. GSP wrecked it and Woodley X (Nation of Islam bless him) picked up the scraps but he was just GOAT in his own mind.

Colby looks legit tho.

Last edited:
Yeah, Colby, Wonderboy, Masvidal, Robbie, Edwards and Usman wouldn't survive 2 minutes in there with Matt Serra
lol wow such amazeball WWs..... You have a LW from GSP's era on there as some superstar WW ffs.

Johnny from 2013 and GSP beat everyone on that list.

This is a more accurate ranking of the Welterweight division as of today. This is based on match ups against each other and close fights being a draw.

Woodley
Masvidal
Maia
Ponzinibbio
Pettis
Thompson
Vicente Luque
Zaleski
Nelson
Dos Anjos
Edwards
Usman
Covington
Askren
Lawler
Perry
Till
Magny
Lee

It's the strongest it's ever been since maybe GSPs mid-reign.

Cerrone, Rda, Masvidal, Askren, Lawler, Colby, Ponzi, Pettis, Usman, Woodley, Maia, Edwards,Wonderboy.....Lmao it is full of killers. Point me a more stacked division right now.

Lightweight BUT I don't disagree with you about this (Cowboy is competing at LW though as is Pettis, although Pettis is still ranked in WW anyway).

Point is, WW is a pretty damn good division right now and is very stacked, I agree.

Welterweight is the best it's ever been. Usman, Covington, Woodley, Lawler, Wonderboy, Till(?), Edwards, Ponzinibbio, Askren, RDA and now Pettis and Nate. I'm having fun.
Why mention Nate lol.

It's one of the best skillwise, but has it ever been that fun of a division? Always a ton of lay and pray guys in ww

What?

Top guys from gsp era are on 5 fight losing streaks...

The division is way more versatile with wrestlers with striking n strikers with tdd

Compare that to one dimensional gsp era

Talentwise the division is as strong as ever just not very exciting.

It's really good.

I said a long time ago, as soon as Georges left, that title was going to get hot potato'd like a mother fucker.

It's been year since and it's still hard to envision someone holding onto the thing for a significantly long time.

Expect more hot potato.

LW, WW and MW has always been the strongest

Welterweight is a division I've had little interest in since the Hughes vs GSP days. Not sure what it is. Everyone raves about it and I just can't get interested.

My timeline of Welterweight being exciting is something like this:

Miletich era: Kind of boring but you have the novelty of a tactician being champ.
Newton vs Hughes and Hughes dominance era: Excting.
Hughes vs Penn era: Exciting.
GSP vs Hughes vs Penn era: The best period for the division. Newton vs Hughes up until GSP's dominance run is the most exciting stretch.
GSP dominance run: Division eventually loses steam and becomes kind of boring. Not just because of GSP but he dampens the title picture.
Lawler era: Decently entertaining in the title picture but the rest of the division has lost steam by this point and is somewhat devalued by GSP leaving with the belt. Division is filled with guys GSP already beat or would handle with ease.
Woodley era: Boring. Don't really care.
Usman era: See above. Not enthused about Welterweight at this point.

I think the wheels started to fall off after GSP vs Penn 2.

Back