News Islam Makhachev vs Dustin Poirier set for UFC 302 on June 1

Who Wins?

• Islam Makhachev

Votes: 70 85.4%
  • Dustin Poirier

Votes: 12 14.6%

• Total voters
I would have much rather want Islam vs Leon. Dustin TDD iss not good and Islam is the best wrestler at 155. This will be an easy win for islam.

Go rewatch it. Volk was able to neutrilize several clinch / takedown attempts due to using two hands on one of Islam’s wrists. I won’t dispute hydration, but some of the techniques they utilized worked well enough to keep the fight competitive and close on the scorecards. Alot better than what we saw from Poirier against BSD.
Apples and oranges unfortunately. Poriers hips are shot, alongside the fact that his takedown defense was never that good to begin with ( watch BSD vs Porier, even when he wasn't jumping for the guilly he was struggling defending takedowns, and BSD took him down at EVERY takedown attempt ).

There are no specific set of techniques that would allow a fighter to prevent Dagestani wrestling and judo. You absolutely NEED to have a background in some grappling martial art alongside physical attributes and good coaching to even stand a chance and keeping the fight on the feet. Dagestanis don't operate on individual techniques they are good at, they operate on systems where one action leads to another ( failing a takedown chains into a different technique ), and it is very difficult to break such a system and counter without years of experience in grappling.

Arman, Oliveira, Volk, Topuria, Leon and ( with a big maybe ) BSD have a good base to not get absolutely steamrolled by Dagestani wrestling. I'm not saying they would win against Islam, but they could prevent Islam from imposing his will on them with takedowns.

Back