Islam runs 5k in 18:30mins

Those are really fast times. Do you have any proof of it? Not saying it isn't true, since soccer players are light and run all the time, but 15's for 5K is impressive to say the least. That will win most road races other than the super competitive ones.
My high school had soccer players who ended up in the MLS.
Each could beat our top cross country track team when they challenged them in a 5k. Our HS team was pacing around 18 min.
Tons of soccer players with times in the 16s if you google. I posted a japanese pro boxer who did in the 14s.
18:30 is still a solid time, but nothing "super fast".

(random aside: had a fringe 1-yr NBA player at the school too, who also managed to be undefeated as a tennis player without taking it seriously; elite athletes are great at lots of things, and I'd assume Islam has great metrics in a lot of athletic realms.)

doubt there is a single UFC fighter who can run 5k that fast

I bet there is, especially in the lighter weight classes.

His body is conditioned to so many things. 18.5 min it itself is impressive. Doing that while being strong as an Ox and not min maxing like a skinny endurance runner is even more impressive.

In his pre fight press conference he said so. Anyone who races knows that is really fucking fast

It's a great time but at my local Park Run the winning time is usually sub 16 mins.

That's like saying a 800lbs squat isn't very impressive because 17 year olds have done it
That's not even close to the same thing actually. No clue where you pulled that shit out from lol
It would be like gawking at a Islam doing a 250lb squat when the female youth record is 300lb

With my shredded 350lbs trunk I'll need to add some weights there or that bodyweight routine is way too easy. Or is this a warmup?

For all the Sherbros arguing on another thread how slow Islam’s 5k running time is (18min!!!) … here are some athletic standards which - if you meet them all - classify you as very fit in most sports sciences contexts.

Please go try and report back superSherbros.

5k run under 23min (road)

100m sprint under 13sec (no spikes and blocks)

Sit and reach flexibility test fingers at least 10cm past toes

Benchpress, squat and deadlift at least equal to bodyweight or more (2 unassisted reps minimum)

15 full range pullups or more without stopping

50 full range pushups or more without stopping

100 full range bodyweight squats or more without stopping

I would say that most UFC fighters would meet the majority of these criteria.

All Sherbros of course do at least twice the minimum standards…
Just did all of that in 5 minutes while banging two Boise dimes at the same time

<{UberTS}>

His entire life isn't "cardio athletics". Wrestling is an anaerobic sport.

Who the hell thought wrestlers and cross country runners have anywhere close to the same build?

You’d be surprised.

In HS, we always tried to get the wrestlers to come out for cross country. Some of them ran as many miles a week as the long distance runners. Sure wrestling is anerobic, but their conditioning is still very high level. They are also mentally strong, as most of their running is for weight cutting. Maintaining mental focus is half of distance running.

The only sport that has better conditioned athletes on average is soccer. Those guys also run sub 19 minute 5k’s fairly easily.

I don't see a 40 yard dash listed...

My high school had soccer players who ended up in the MLS.
Each could beat our top cross country track team when they challenged them in a 5k. Our HS team was pacing around 18 min.
Tons of soccer players with times in the 16s if you google. I posted a japanese pro boxer who did in the 14s.
18:30 is still a solid time, but nothing "super fast".

(random aside: had a fringe 1-yr NBA player at the school too, who also managed to be undefeated as a tennis player without taking it seriously; elite athletes are great at lots of things, and I'd assume Islam has great metrics in a lot of athletic realms.)
You had very poor runners at your school.

In his pre fight press conference he said so. Anyone who races knows that is really fucking fast

According to Marathon Handbook, the average 5k for a male in his age range is 28 mins. Anything faster than 20 mins would make him one of the top runners in the world

I'm calling bullshit on this

Geez maybe fast for Americans but that’s not a decent speed here in Europe. I mean it’s good but it isn’t incredible especially for an athlete.

It's ok-ish. I ran 15's in 3rd grade and we would stop our 5k runs at 2.5k to do a set of deads. I topped out at 1200lbs for 5 reps. Again, 18 isn't terrible, but nothing amazing

According to Marathon Handbook, the average 5k for a male in his age range is 28 mins. Anything faster than 20 mins would make him one of the top runners in the world

I'm calling bullshit on this
You’ve got a decimal in the wrong place or something. 20 min is hobbyist pace. Might not even win an age group medal for somebody in their 40s.

Back