Media Islam wants a second title, believes he can beat Leon Edwards anywhere

Who wins in a potential matchup?

• Total voters
He'd rather it be against FWs at LW. Ignore all the fighters at LW, and then get KO'd by WWs.
I was like why did someone quote me in this old thread... would you look at that, our prince is at it again.
No, I think Islam does want it in reality. But for sure, they are very conscious of not taking on too big of or uneducated risks. Not a Dagestani thing, just a fighter thing. Tell the Lightweights to learn how to wrestle and if Khabib and Islam caught so much weight, why is their conditioning still so much better than their opponents? Be angry at Gaethje for gassing routinely when pressed in under 8 minutes.
If Shavkat was the champion, Islam wouldn't want any of this. He thinks he can beat Leon. When in reality, he's gonna get his ass beat. Leon is still terribly underrated here. He’s in for a rude awakening if they make this lol.

I was like why did someone quote me in this old thread... would you look at that, our prince is at it again.

If Shavkat was the champion, Islam wouldn't want any of this. He thinks he can beat Leon. When in reality, he's gonna get his ass beat. Leon is still terribly underrated here. He’s in for a rude awakening if they make this lol.

I favor Leon to beat Islam, I just think Islam would take that fight in a heart beat. We will see how Leon looks vs Colby, I do think Islam is more dangerous than Colby to Leon personally. If Islam didn't want to fight Shavkat it could possibly be because of a Muslim thing. Shavkats takedown defense hasn't been heavily tested in the UFC yet and it was an exploitable part of his game early one. But this is true of a lot of champs, GSP wasn't going to fight Whittaker, Romero or Jacare but he jumped at the opportunity for Bisping. Izzy jumped at the opportunity to fight Jan...hate it or love it, guys make calculated decisions in this game.

Leon to big to strong…i think only Rakhmonov is a threat to leon but hes abit of a plodder who gets hit alot

Lol imagine if he loses to Leon. Islam is the lightweight champ with the belt after losing to Volk than to Leon

Islam sparred Leon on his very first day at AKA. Took him down and held him there for the round

I favor Leon to beat Islam, I just think Islam would take that fight in a heart beat. We will see how Leon looks vs Colby, I do think Islam is more dangerous than Colby to Leon personally. If Islam didn't want to fight Shavkat it could possibly be because of a Muslim thing. Shavkats takedown defense hasn't been heavily tested in the UFC yet and it was an exploitable part of his game early one. But this is true of a lot of champs, GSP wasn't going to fight Whittaker, Romero or Jacare but he jumped at the opportunity for Bisping. Izzy jumped at the opportunity to fight Jan...hate it or love it, guys make calculated decisions in this game.
I don't expect Colby to become a problem for Leon really. Going to be close to 36 when they fight, inactive asl... doing stupid Bang ads. Prime Colby maybe but that's long gone.

I think Shavkat just beats the shit out of Islam and breaks him in like the third round. Just too big and he's improving rapidly. No holes. Islam's chin is there to crack.

But this is true of a lot of champs

Except for Volk... he wants all the smoke lol

Leon starches him and it isn't close. Taller, longer reach, bigger, can already takedown/defend takedowns against a significantly bigger high caliber grappler (Usman). Islam doesn't have the tank, striking or size.

Khabib said Islam will be WW champion after setting LW defense record when he first got the belt. This is not surprise really. He's also repeated this sentiment several times before.

I'm all for this double champ attempt, Oliveira needs another win to deserve an Islam rematch and this adds a fresh matchup into the mix and will be the toughest challenge Team Khabib ever took on

I'm surprised that most think he wouldn't do it. I think he would actually dominate Leon.

Leon/Usman 1 was almost ten years ago now. Leon was new to the sport and had never fought a wrestler yet. Nothing is going to make Leon look like that again except a time machine.

The big difference of course is that Usman is pretty terrible on the ground and Islam is definitely not. Edwards got taken down plenty by Usman but easily got back up or even controlled the ground exchanges. He likely won’t do that against Islam.

I wouldn't say Usman is "pretty terrible on the ground". Other than that, good post.

Leon starches him and it isn't close. Taller, longer reach, bigger, can already takedown/defend takedowns against a significantly bigger high caliber grappler (Usman). Islam doesn't have the tank, striking or size.
Islam's grappling is so much more sophisticated with all his judo throws, submissions, Dagestani handcuff, Dagestani leg irons, and emphasis on top ground control and taking the back. Usman in contrast would mostly just muscle people to the fence and attempt to drag them to the floor

It would be a fun match-up, but not at the cost of holding up 2 divisions. I think Makhachev would outgrind Edwards and maybe submit him, but again - I don't need to see this "superfight". Makhachev needs to defend against a worthy lightweight (not a FW or a Chandler/Conor winner) and so does Edwards (not Covington).

Lets see... Beats a FW and claims the FW is bigger than him(weight wise). And instantly says the WW would be an easy fight. Fuck Islam. And his usual huggers.

So many people will again sleep on Leon here but look at his defensive wrestling against Usman - I think he'd be able to survive in the grappling and would piece Islam up on the feet.

There was no submission threat from Usman which is why Leon kept giving up his back. Islam poses a lot more problems for Leon on the ground.

That said, it would be a mistake for Islam to underestimate Edwards. He might be thinking that because he ragdolled Leon back in the day at AKA, he could do it again now. Leon is not the same fighter anymore.

Back