Opinion It is not bigoted to want a homogenized American culture.

Thanks for proving my point. The instant anyone says something the progressive disagrees with, they're called white nationalists. I'm a Brown man. This has nothing to do with race. It's about culture and wanting to preserve it.

Ignore that fucktard. He's a brainless troll.. with zero rational capacity to discuss the pluses and minus of such theories. You're not saying one is necessarily better than the other... but the Western World has seen severe negative effects of mass importation of 3rd world citizens with vastly different world views on politics, women's rights, religion, etc...

It could be argued that places like Sweden, IE - The happiest place on Earth, was a much different and safer place to live before importing millions of refugees from 3rd world countries. I've beaten this horse to death in other threads. But Sweden has a severe crisis right now.

Japan is unabashedly Nationalistic and happy to stay mostly homogenized. With many public venues listed as Japanese only, no foreigners. And progressives love to point to Japan about their low crime is (mainly a gun control discussion)... But it could be argued their low crime rate is cultural phenomena and has zero to do with their gun laws.

For example, I lived in rural Utah for 3 plus years. 2 Murders... both by out of state felons on the run by authorities. And almost every household has multiple firearms and people routinely leave their cars and houses unlocked.

Also, my former business partner came here from the Island of Dominica in the mid-80's. An extremely safe and pleasant place to live. I've visited there a few times and it definitely has its own culture... He has a very negative view of certain communities here and how he sometimes gets lumped into them.

Last edited:
What do we mean by “generic American culture” exactly?

The real answer would probably be McDonalds, sitcom reruns, wearing jeans to formal events, a lawn comprised of half an acre of level grass, and the 50 hour work week, but my guess is that's not where this is going.

I think the real meat of the question is who would get to decide around which customs we "homogenize"?

The real answer would probably be McDonalds, sitcom reruns, wearing jeans to formal events, a lawn comprised of half an acre of level grass, and the 50 hour work week, but my guess is that's not where this is going.

I think the real meat of the question is who would get to decide around which customs we "homogenize"?
Exactly.
“We’re totally fine with having different races come here, from different cultures and backgrounds. But for the greater good, please all dress, talk, and act like white European Christians. Thank you.”

You know what’s interesting? I live in WI, and there are huge German and Norwegian populations. There’s a town so heavily Norwegian that there’s a big painted mural welcoming you to town—in Norwegian. Every other house flies a Norwegian flag. And no one says shit. But if that welcome sign was in Spanish and those houses flew the flag of Mexico, you better believe people would complain about it.

The US was supposed to be a melting pot.

That means blending together which was a "leftist " idea and had to be pushed.

Now the left wants separate but some more privileged then others.

The melting pot was about set a values and ideas to move forward for all races and backgrounds.

That is no longer the case and without it we are being pushed to separate which will destroy the US.

So no despite the left screaming racist at any and everything the melting pot is not a racist idea.

Lefty here. Love the melting pot. The important part of that concept is that the things you melt in are incorporated.

As long as everyone is cool about homogonizing in a way that has Pho, curried ox tails, new customs and traditions, etc... and we understand that this is now part of our homogenous culture I think it works great.

Sure there will be an asshole somewhere with a "my culture is not your promdress" take and asshole who freaks out because they heard a language other than english for 10 seconds, but mostly everyone is on board with the melting pot.

Last edited:
What do we mean by “generic American culture” exactly?

Two Parent Family Household, Marriage before kids, etc...

There's multiple theories on what lead to the breakdown of the average urban black family unit... The War on Drugs, Crime and Prison Rates, etc... But the final result is apparent.

The theory listed below is that despite there being more racism in American Society in general in the 1960's, the average black family was FAR BETTER off than today. The Why can be debated and solutions put forth. Was it intentional? Or was it unforeseen consequence of Government Policies? Why didn't effect other demographics to such an extrement extend? Hispanics? Asians? Etc...

'The Breakdown of the Black Family,'
https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2015/10/the-breakdown-of-the-black-family-contd/626229/
"Seventy-two percent of black children are born to unmarried mothers. The majority of those children will see contact with their fathers “drop sharply”; within a few years, about a third of dads will basically just disappear. Children don’t take well to the succession of partners, step- and half-siblings that follow their parents’ breakup. Studies, not just a few, but a slew ofthem, connect “multi-partner fertility” and father absence to behavior problems, aggression, and later criminality among boys even when controlling for race and income. Doesn’t that suggest black-family disruption could have some bearing on crime and incarceration rates?

Before 1960, when poverty and racism were by all accounts far worse, the black family was considerably more stable. Throughout the first half of the 20th century, the large majority of black women were married before they had children. Black children were less likely than whites to grow up in two-parent homes, but only slightly so. It was only after 1960, even as more black men were finding jobs and even as legal discrimination was being dismantled with civil-rights legislation, that the family began to unravel."

"I had a sociology professor in the ‘70s predict the breakdown of the black family. He said it would be an unintended consequence of the Women’s Liberation Movement, which was just coming into its own. Women worked some, during WW2. But most were still at “home” prior to the advent of Women’s Lib—after which, we joined the workforce in large numbers. Black women had always worked as domestics, but it didn’t pay much. After Women’s Lib, they too (along with white women) joined the larger workforce.

My professor’s theory was that black women were seen as less “threatening” to whites than black men.

As such, they would become increasingly more employable than black men. Black men would lose work as women (both black and white) gained employment. Their status as breadwinners for their families would suffer. He said it was inevitable some would turn to crime, and end up in prison. As black women gained employment (and good money), they’d be less likely to take their man’s “guff”—and the black man would be made unnecessary and extraneous.

I’m sure there were other factors that contributed to the breakdown of the black family. But his theory is one I’ve contemplated, through the years."

You can keep your Dockers and meatloaf, ya dork, we aint assimilating to shit!

SSHHHAAAOOOWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!

Throw on some Chente!

alvin-and-the-chipmunks-party-time.gif

There's a great country to live in if you love Mexican culture. It' called Mexico.

Bitch my family was here before yours, assimilate or get the fuck out!

No it wasn't. Your culture is a product of European immigration too.

Why do you refuse to live in Mexico? It's run by Mexicans and full of millions upon millions of Mexicans.

Should be paradise right?

Two Parent Family Household, Marriage before kids, etc...

There's multiple theories on what lead to the breakdown of the average urban black family unit... The War on Drugs, Crime and Prison Rates, etc... But the final result is apparent.

The theory listed below is that despite there being more racism in American Society in general in the 1960's, the average black family was FAR BETTER off than today. The Why can be debated and solutions put forth. Was it intentional? Or was it unforeseen consequence of Government Policies? Why didn't effect other demographics to such an extrement extend? Hispanics? Asians? Etc...

'The Breakdown of the Black Family,'
https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2015/10/the-breakdown-of-the-black-family-contd/626229/
"Seventy-two percent of black children are born to unmarried mothers. The majority of those children will see contact with their fathers “drop sharply”; within a few years, about a third of dads will basically just disappear. Children don’t take well to the succession of partners, step- and half-siblings that follow their parents’ breakup. Studies, not just a few, but a slew ofthem, connect “multi-partner fertility” and father absence to behavior problems, aggression, and later criminality among boys even when controlling for race and income. Doesn’t that suggest black-family disruption could have some bearing on crime and incarceration rates?

Before 1960, when poverty and racism were by all accounts far worse, the black family was considerably more stable. Throughout the first half of the 20th century, the large majority of black women were married before they had children. Black children were less likely than whites to grow up in two-parent homes, but only slightly so. It was only after 1960, even as more black men were finding jobs and even as legal discrimination was being dismantled with civil-rights legislation, that the family began to unravel."

"I had a sociology professor in the ‘70s predict the breakdown of the black family. He said it would be an unintended consequence of the Women’s Liberation Movement, which was just coming into its own. Women worked some, during WW2. But most were still at “home” prior to the advent of Women’s Lib—after which, we joined the workforce in large numbers. Black women had always worked as domestics, but it didn’t pay much. After Women’s Lib, they too (along with white women) joined the larger workforce.

My professor’s theory was that black women were seen as less “threatening” to whites than black men.

As such, they would become increasingly more employable than black men. Black men would lose work as women (both black and white) gained employment. Their status as breadwinners for their families would suffer. He said it was inevitable some would turn to crime, and end up in prison. As black women gained employment (and good money), they’d be less likely to take their man’s “guff”—and the black man would be made unnecessary and extraneous.

I’m sure there were other factors that contributed to the breakdown of the black family. But his theory is one I’ve contemplated, through the years."

62204-050-438D04E9.jpg

Something definitely changed.

if that welcome sign was in Spanish and those houses flew the flag of Mexico, you better believe people would complain about it.

Funny how you love to shit all over Florida but that's the norm down here and no one is complaining, except for tourists from up north who have been told Florida is intolerant towards minorities

Exactly.
“We’re totally fine with having different races come here, from different cultures and backgrounds. But for the greater good, please all dress, talk, and act like white European Christians. Thank you.”

You know what’s interesting? I live in WI, and there are huge German and Norwegian populations. There’s a town so heavily Norwegian that there’s a big painted mural welcoming you to town—in Norwegian. Every other house flies a Norwegian flag. And no one says shit. But if that welcome sign was in Spanish and those houses flew the flag of Mexico, you better believe people would complain about it.

Same, I lived near a town more polish than poland. There are delis there where it's easier to order in polish than english, and the majority of the products and signage are in polish. I've never heard anyone upset about it.

There was another town 20 minutes away that was similar except Korean. I've heard dozens of condescending remarks and a handful outright, full-on, unappologetically racist remarks.

Now both are melting pot scenarios. These are American citizens. I can walk in and order in English. The people working there follow american politics, and put thier kids in american schools. People at the tables are talking football, and their kids grades, and that movie they just saw. They've just melted in Perpogis and Kimchi Dumplings.

Last edited:
The republicans are called bigots for wanting this, but I kind of agree with them on this matter despite having liberal views on other issues.

We can be a country of many races, but if those races don't unify towards a strong foundational culture and ethic, it will lead to Balkanization. This is how every large empire ultimately falls; they over expand and have too many conflicting cultures and ideas within it and eventually population and resources will begin dividing the people into various ethnic groups most often based on language and culture.

For this reason, there is nothing wrong with demanding every citizen of this country assimilate into a generic American culture.

Well, get to the details. What makes up this generic American culture?

It is impossible for even the most united of cultures to have the exact same accent, means, and ways. I'm not asking for something that impossibly rigid. I'm asking for an overlapping culture with ideas and goals which the country fights for and works towards. How is this, in any way, bigoted ?

Ok, you want God in government and I don't. Importing Catholics and Muslims doesn't bother me because it isn't any worse than what we have here. How do you get past that?

What the hell is "generic" American culture?

We have different cultures just based on different regions of the country and it's always been that way. Some person in Washington State is going to be vastly different than someone from Alabama.

To even compare some other more homogenous countries like Sweden and say they're happier is stupid because of the sheer size of this country. Sweden is the size of one of our states. It's a lot easier being more homogenized in culture in a much smaller geographical area.

That is literally never going to happen in a country this size - which is basically the size of all of Europe.

For this reason, there is nothing wrong with demanding every citizen of this country assimilate into a generic American culture.

Demanding every citizen assimilate? That goes against the literal founding of this country. The entire purpose of it was that people could be free to be whoever. You can't be a free country when you force people to be a certain way.

There's a great country to live in if you love Mexican culture. It' called Mexico.
Everybody brings their culture with them. I was born, raised, and grew up in the Southwest, where Mexican culture is very prominent. These days I live in the Midwest, where German and Norwegian culture is very prominent.
I never lived anywhere where houses flew German and Norwegian flags until I moved here.
I had never heard of Krampus at Christmas time until I moved here.
I had never heard of a tradition where St. Nicholas is different than Santa, and you leave your shoes in the hallway or whatever the fuck it is, for weird little gifts to be put inside them, until I moved here.

But no one is screaming at those people to “assimilate,” strangely enough. Trevor Noah does a comedy bit where he talks about moving to the US from Africa. His friend learns that Trevor has never had tacos before, and says “But bruhhhhh! There’s nothing more American than tacos!”

All of these cultures and traditions co-mingle over time, but also retain some of their uniqueness. It’s going to be ok.
Apple pie, baseball and a great 4th or July parade in a small town.
Hmm. I think we’ll have to find a substitute for the apple pie, as that was brought over by immigrants. There weren’t even native apple trees here in America, the Europeans planted them when they immigrated.

Exactly.

You know what’s interesting? I live in WI, and there are huge German and Norwegian populations.

I'm from your neck of the woods. I also am a Brown man and a child of immigrants. I'm also not a Christian. So now that your two big BS claims are dead on arrival, what's your next tactic to race bait ?

That is literally never going to happen in a country this size - which is basically the size of all of Europe.

It's a good thing we're a Constitutional republic where in each State has the authority to self-govern provided they don't violate rights found in the Constitution then, huh ?

Back