Its a Maia can't take anyone down episode

I wouldn't say he has "junior varsity" level takedowns. The only guys he could not take down in the last few years were Woodley and Covington, two All American wrestlers.

One thing i noticed last night, and it is probably only because he was so tired from the high pace, that he doesn't continue to chain wrestle once his opponent sprawls out. When somebody sprawls out, you have to re-shoot, or sit out and poke your head to the outside and plant one of your feet to turn the corner and drive into him at an angle.

None of that probably would have worked on Colby anyway, because he is a great wrestler. It just sucked seeing him fail on a shot and then just sit there in turtle taking damage.

There was one time where i thought Demian was setting up his single leg from half guard but Colby bailed out of that fast.

It really sucks because Maia was landing some nice left hands in the first round. He said in the post-fight press conference he should have continued to box in round 2 because all the takedown attempts drained his energy.

I also wish Maia would have checked some of those low kicks. Maia seemed to improve his boxing but he probably did not expect Colby to come out throwing so many kicks.

I am angry that Maia lost but it was a very good fight and I can't wait to see who Colby faces next.

Round 1 was pretty good, round 2 and 3 werr the same boring rounds that happen when Maia is mentally broken and try a desperate TD over and over again.

Round 3 had some decent GnP by Colby though, but if he doesn't work in his striking he will be KTFO by any of the top strikers in the division

dude watch the first round. k-1 maia bro

HTTPS9tZWRpYS5naXBoeS5jb20vbWVkaWEvYzlJRHNSNW9vcXZXOC9naXBoeS5naWYlog.gif
Looks better than Ronda's boxing

Maia has always been terrible. He can't fight, can only grapple if it hits the ground and if the ref doesn't stand them up when he can't sink anything in for over 4 minutes.

Haven't seen the Colby fight yet, didn't even know it was on. But I hope he retires due to boring avoidance or comes back for 1 more face beating, either way is fine.
if grappling bores you, you really shouldn't be watching mma.

if grappling bores you, you really shouldn't be watching mma.

Every so often a man decides to fight like a man and gets a beautiful KO. Then it gets 50xs the amount of views that a sub would, because only KOs are awesome and manly.

Are you telling me that after 16 years as a BJJ whiz with mediocre striking and takedowns, fighters have figured him out? He has always been figured out but that doesn't mean everyone can defend the backpack and the subs.

yeah, not disagreeing with anything you say, but remember that throw he hit on sonnen? in hindsight that's even more incredible. the fight against rory really showed him not just shooting bad tds, but so desperate to get the td that he wasn't even trying to set them up.

Yeah that takedown on Sonnen was great. Though, BJJ people in brazil do a lot of Judo. So I'm not too surprised that he hit such a slick upperbody throw.

I wouldn't say he has "junior varsity" level takedowns. The only guys he could not take down in the last few years were Woodley and Covington, two All American wrestlers.

One thing i noticed last night, and it is probably only because he was so tired from the high pace, that he doesn't continue to chain wrestle once his opponent sprawls out. When somebody sprawls out, you have to re-shoot, or sit out and poke your head to the outside and plant one of your feet to turn the corner and drive into him at an angle.

None of that probably would have worked on Colby anyway, because he is a great wrestler. It just sucked seeing him fail on a shot and then just sit there in turtle taking damage.

There was one time where i thought Demian was setting up his single leg from half guard but Colby bailed out of that fast.

It really sucks because Maia was landing some nice left hands in the first round. He said in the post-fight press conference he should have continued to box in round 2 because all the takedown attempts drained his energy.

I also wish Maia would have checked some of those low kicks. Maia seemed to improve his boxing but he probably did not expect Colby to come out throwing so many kicks.

I am angry that Maia lost but it was a very good fight and I can't wait to see who Colby faces next.

Exactly, his overall wrestling game is incomplete. And you're absolutely right in regards to chain wrestling, the guy puts all his faith in the takedown and that's it. I liked Benson Henderson's wrestling where he'd shoot in, get stuffed, hit a peak out and continue to chain his techniques. That's why I say Maia has JV takedowns. Not in that his double leg or single leg running the pipe form is bad, but he stops the movement the second the takedown is unsuccessful

He has phenomenal wrestling compared to a guy like Brian Ortega yet half of Sherdog doesn't get that stylistically Ortega will have all kinds of problems reaching the top or staying there.Really depends on match ups if someone has shit wrestling and mediocre striking.Woodley and Colby were able to exploit that with Maia and I think Cub will exploit that with Ortega who doesn't even bother trying for td's his wrestling is so bad.

I never watched an Ortega fight. Is his wrestling that bad?

I've been saying it forever and everyone on this site has trashed me (cause Maia was winning a bunch of fights and was the GOAT apparently).

The guy has junior varsity takedowns. His actual form is good but his set ups are amateurish at best. He stands from arms distance away and just shoots in hoping that he's fast enough to get a solid penetration in. No set ups, fakes, or stutter steps.

Once he faced stiff wrestlers like TWood and Colby, that shit don't work anymore.

I love Maia but this is correct. He should have stuck to trips and pulling gaurd. Maia is one of the best BJJ guys ever in mma but tries to fight like Chad mendes.

Exactly, his overall wrestling game is incomplete. And you're absolutely right in regards to chain wrestling, the guy puts all his faith in the takedown and that's it. I liked Benson Henderson's wrestling where he'd shoot in, get stuffed, hit a peak out and continue to chain his techniques. That's why I say Maia has JV takedowns. Not in that his double leg or single leg running the pipe form is bad, but he stops the movement the second the takedown is unsuccessful
perfect way to explain it.

Well, he won the first round on the feet. unfortunately, in the process he gassed himself out and basically ensuring he wouldn't have enough energy to get Colby to the ground in the second. Not sure what his gameplan was there.
Another takeaway tho is that Colby's standup is shaky at best. Match him up with a hard hitter, like lawler, and he's going to sleep. I suspect this fight was the peak of Colby. He's not getting that belt.
I agree. I believe Colby fought a good Fight against Damien, but he doesn't appear skilled or athletic enough to beat the upper echelon, especially with good stand-up skills.

And what happens when Colby can't take down someone? He will probably get boxed up.. he got boxed up by Maia in the first round when Maia was fresh. Everyone has weaknesses. Maia is 40 years old fighting a NCAA champion wrestler 10 years younger than him and the wrestler is doing everything possible to disengage from grappling. Maia is a legend.

Back