it's only ducking if it's people in your own weight class

you left off MightyMouse taking shit for just wanting to get PPV points before he'd fight TJ, when TJ had never made fly before.

Also, Connor ducked virtually everyone, in terms of rematches and/or defenses.
Not to mention:
"Jones ducked HW his whole career" (and I absolutely despise Jones)
People forget that the motherfucker in the weight class up cuts weight too. Anyone that make this kind of bogus claim is a complete tool and should be treated as such.
Very, very few HWs cut weight. People were accusing Jones of ducking Cain when Cain was champ, and Jones was within 10 lbs of Velasquez at actual rehydrated fight time, with 3 inches of height and something like 8 inches of reach. He's closer in size to Velasquez than he was to half the guys in his resume.

being accused of ducking for not fighting outside your normal weight class is as worthless as tits on a bull.

"Khabib should quit ducking Woodley"

"GSP ducked Anderson for years"

"Jones ducked HW his whole career" (and I absolutely despise Jones)

DUCKING is when you avoid people in your own weight class. for example, Conor at 155 lbs.

People forget that the motherfucker in the weight class up cuts weight too. Anyone that make this kind of bogus claim is a complete tool and should be treated as such.

Those fighters step in the cage more heavy than "they wight class" thanks to nasty weightcut and rehydratation.

So, they are duckers.

I agree for the most part but in some like Ronda who fought at 145lbs then said she was only going to 135lbs to beat Miesha then fight Cyborg after as the fight would be bigger but refused to do is ducking. If you have no intention don't mention it, all it does is hurt your legacy when you never attempted to make the fight you "wanted".
If you spent the beginning of your career at a certain weight and then moved down, you went down in weight for a reason. IE, Ronda.
I don't like Rousey as much as the next Sherdogger, but she competed at Featherweight in the beginning because she had trouble getting fights. She cut from 147 lbs pre-Holm and cut from 140 lbs post-Holm; she's a Bantamweight.

When the GOATs of 2 weight classes and current number 1 and 2 p4p are fighting in their primes, and they are only separated by 15 lbs, and one fighter refuses to fight the other, that's ducking.

No, that's called fighting in your weight class. Why do fighters have an obligation to move up or down? Because you said so?

When you complain about not getting paid what you think you're worth and your boss offers you a fight that would get you the payday that you want and you don't take the fight then you're ducking. Yeah, I'm talking about MM ducking TJ. It doesn't matter if TJ is the bigger fighter. MM fought Cruz, so he is down to fight someone that's bigger than him. He could have had a fat payday and cemented his legacy as a great in this sport if he would've jumped at the opportunity to test himself against TJ. Now he'll go over to another organization and crush cans and never really test himself. Fucking Henry Cejudo jumped at the opportunity to fight TJ and he never called himself the P4P greatest fighter ever.

I take it a step higher. It's only ducking if the other guy challenges you mano-a-mano alone in a parking lot or gym and you don't accept. Not with 12 of your buddies there to back you up either. Anything else is just part of the fight business. Dana teaches everyone sooner or later that this is just a business, there's nothing fair about it.

I agree with the sentiment...but what do you call it when said fighter challenges one fighter outside their weight class, but not the others? When GSP wouldn't consider Anderson, but agrees to face Bisping? When Jones threatens going to HW for nearly his entire career, and at long last calls out Lesnar—then outlined why he wasn't asking for Miocic?

When you barely make weight...go to the hospital....get fights canceled and have seizures, your ducking a weight class.

I agree. Anyone who misses weight, or pulls out of fights during fight week for "illness", is ducking their natural weight class.

For example, GSP made weight every single time -- not ducking weight.

Khabib missed weight multiple times, and has pulled out of fights, so he's 100% ducking 170. If you can't make weight 100% of the time, you shouldn't be allowed to fight at that weight.

What about if you lobby for the creation of a whole new weight class, to have an easier path to a championship?

#165 #duckweight

Not always.

Sometimes we can know the relative sizes of fighters...fighter size sits on a spectrum, rather than rigid divisions of who your "peers" are. So I would probably not accuse fighters of ducking, but when it comes to who can fight each other, big lightweights and small WWs, ditto for big WW and small-medium MW, and so on.

When did MM miss weight or go to the hospital?
Never, but search the threads and you will see a healthy amount of accusations of ducking 135. Even when TJ was coming down, DJ has shoulder surgery and physically could not fight.. but the accusations continued

The ducking claims are especially stupid because they are the based on them cutting a lot of weight in most cases. The claim is that they are "ducking fighters their size". This would be a fair argument if the people in the weight class above them were not cutting just as much if not more weight, and the people in their weight class were cutting just as much weight as them. More often than not the weight difference, especially in the top 5 of every division, is negligible.

All this talks about ducks and so forth made me realize one thing: MMA guys need to stop being a chicken and fight in openweight.

What about if you lobby for the creation of a whole new weight class, to have an easier path to a championship?

#165 #duckweight

165 wouldn't be duckweight though. 155 is too early to have a 15 pound gap between the next weight division.

Let's say you're a fighter that weighs 180 in prime, perfect shape. You're totally screwed unless you are Khabib "cheater" Dagastani Rat. Khabib can cut to 155 from 180 because he's blessed with good weight cutting skills, and his weight misses + fight pullouts are somehow tolerated.

But for the other 99% of 180 pound prime shape fighters, you can't fight at lightweight. But then you're at 170, fighting against giant guys like Woodley and Till that weigh 195-200.

By creating the 165 division, guys in the 180-185 range (Khabib, Covington, Askren) actually have their own division, like they should. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just an uneducated moron.

When the GOATs of 2 weight classes and current number 1 and 2 p4p are fighting in their primes, and they are only separated by 15 lbs, and one fighter refuses to fight the other, that's ducking.

Okay. Why didn't Anderoid move down to 170 if he really wanted to fight GSP?

"Only" 15 pounds. You went full retard. Did you see what a 15 pounds difference looked like lately when Rory fought Mousasi?

Back