• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Japan's last imperial soldier dies

Source or GTFO

http://history1900s.about.com/od/worldwarii/a/soldiersurr_2.htm

During the 30 years that Onoda had remain hidden on Lubang island, he and his men
had killed at least 30 Filipinos and had wounded approximately 100 others.

We considered people dressed as islanders to be enemy troops in disguise or enemy spies.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/18/world/asia/hiroo-onoda-imperial-japanese-army-officer-dies-at-91.html?_r=0

Mr. Onoda, a second lieutenant, was one of the war

Let me get this straight. 1st you said he killed 30 men. 2nd you said that he and his men killed 30 men.

There were other groups of holdouts on the island during the time. There is no proof that Hiroo killed 30 men.

This is a complex story sir. You cant even see the obvious. This is the wrong thread for you. Try the YLYL thread. You might understand some of the stuff in there.

Next Victim...

Let me get this straight. 1st you said he killed 30 men. 2nd you said that he and his men killed 30 men.

Ah so he only killed SOME of the 30 people.

Aparently some of you arent aware of what being an accomplice entails and you seem to think theres a cap off before someones considered a murdering turdbag
So whats the exact number? Does it have to hit the double digits?:icon_lol:

Ah so he only killed SOME of the 30 people.

Aparently some of you arent aware of what being an accomplice entails and you seem to think theres a cap off before someones considered a murdering turdbag
So whats the exact number? Does it have to hit the double digits?:icon_lol:

Ah so the honorable LEGS MAHONEY, famous keyboard warrior, with no proof of the events that happened 40 some odd years ago is going to now pass sentence on Hiroo?

Laughable at best. The President of the Philippines pardoned him. Who in the hell are you?

with no proof of the events that happened 40 some odd years ago is going to now pass sentence on Hiroo?

Oh yes yes im sure hiroo was building a coconut radio Gilligan's island style while the three other men with him were about killing farmers.

No ones passing sentence on him frankly I couldnt care less about him or the people he killed but I like others here are laughing at people like you doing mental gymnastics to try to explain why he was some super dooper cool honorable ninja turtle. Youve dug yourself quite into a quite deep enough hole as it is. No wonder youre just dancing around the points being made and resorting to name calling.

There were other groups of holdouts on the island during the time. There is no proof that Hiroo killed 30 men.

This is a complex story sir. You cant even see the obvious. This is the wrong thread for you. Try the YLYL thread. You might understand some of the stuff in there.

Next Victim...

You're sitting here playing semantics and totally ignoring the point. I'm not sure what constitutes "evidence" to you; but, it is widely reported. There are also direct quotes from him saying he shot at people indiscriminately, and it's well documented he and his posse got into firefights with citizens (not to mention stole their food and killed their livestock). Maybe the only thing that would suffice as "evidence" to you is footage of the whole time he was out there, which is obviously not available. But, any person with a half-functioning brain can put this story together and conclude he's an asshole. If you want to sit here and say, "Well, he didn't kill ALL 30 people." as if that is some justification for your odd crusade here, then that is just laughable.

You're sitting here playing semantics and totally ignoring the point. I'm not sure what constitutes "evidence" to you; but, it is widely reported. There are also direct quotes from him saying he shot at people indiscriminately, and it's well documented he and his posse got into firefights with citizens (not to mention stole their food and killed their livestock). Maybe the only thing that would suffice as "evidence" to you is footage of the whole time he was out there, which is obviously not available. But, any person with a half-functioning brain can put this story together and conclude he's an asshole. If you want to sit here and say, "Well, he didn't kill ALL 30 people." as if that is some justification for your odd crusade here, then that is just laughable.

He was at war, you ever been to war? Until you have please whine about shit that you know about. Your ignorant on this matter.

Oh yes yes im sure hiroo was building a coconut radio Gilligan's island style while the three other men with him were about killing farmers.

No ones passing sentence on him frankly I couldnt care less about him or the people he killed but I like others here are laughing at people like you doing mental gymnastics to try to explain why he was some super dooper cool honorable ninja turtle. Youve dug yourself quite into a quite deep enough hole as it is. No wonder youre just dancing around the points being made and resorting to name calling.

Welcome to Fantasy island!

He was at war, you ever been to war? Until you have please whine about shit that you know about. Your ignorant on this matter.

He wasn't at war. The war had ended decades ago. He was shooting farmers. Because he was an unthinking military slave of the Japanese Empire, however, he kept trying to fight. Others in his group, aka those with a brain in their head, managed to figure this out without much difficulty. The only reason he didn't figure it out is because he was so deeply brainwashed.

"One of the four, Yuichi Akatsu walked away from the others in September 1949 and surrendered to Filipino forces in 1950 after six months on his own. This seemed like a security problem to the others and they became even more careful. In 1952 letters and family pictures were dropped from aircraft urging them to surrender, but the three soldiers concluded that this was a trick. Shimada was shot in the leg during a shoot-out with local fishermen in June 1953, after which Onoda nursed him back to health. On May 7, 1954, Shimada was killed by a shot fired by a search party looking for the men. Kozuka was killed by two shots fired by local police on October 19, 1972, when he and Onoda, as part of their guerrilla activities, were burning rice that had been collected by farmers. Onoda was now alone."

Class A military robot moron. Sees the first guy's surrender as a security threat. And how did the last guy in his group die? Shot while they were both burning the farmers' rice, like a complete vicious jackass, almost 30 years after the war had ended. Fighting to the bitter end no matter how stupid and evil your cause is not an admirable quality. And he was just shooting and killing Phillipino civilians who had no relation to anything. This kind of indiscriminate, idiotic viciousness taken to incredible lengths was exactly the core moral problem with the Japanese Empire. It is why Nanking happened. Otherwise smart, sensible people just set their brains completely aside and threw themselves into unquestioning and absolute dedication to their emperor cult -- even worse, a fake cult which had been recently set up for political purposes.

He's pretty much the equivalent of a modern-day suicide bomber. Just another vicious, deluded jackass. And similarly celebrated by those who admire extreme self sacrifice, without considering that extreme self sacrifice is typically more evil than good.

He wasn't at war. The war had ended decades ago. He was shooting farmers. Because he was an unthinking military slave of the Japanese Empire, however, he kept trying to fight. Others in his group, aka those with a brain in their head, managed to figure this out without much difficulty. The only reason he didn't figure it out is because he was so deeply brainwashed.

"One of the four, Yuichi Akatsu walked away from the others in September 1949 and surrendered to Filipino forces in 1950 after six months on his own. This seemed like a security problem to the others and they became even more careful. In 1952 letters and family pictures were dropped from aircraft urging them to surrender, but the three soldiers concluded that this was a trick. Shimada was shot in the leg during a shoot-out with local fishermen in June 1953, after which Onoda nursed him back to health. On May 7, 1954, Shimada was killed by a shot fired by a search party looking for the men. Kozuka was killed by two shots fired by local police on October 19, 1972, when he and Onoda, as part of their guerrilla activities, were burning rice that had been collected by farmers. Onoda was now alone."

Class A military robot moron. Sees the first guy's surrender as a security threat. And how did the last guy in his group die? Shot while they were both burning the farmers' rice, like a complete vicious jackass, almost 30 years after the war had ended. Fighting to the bitter end no matter how stupid and evil your cause is not an admirable quality. And he was just shooting and killing Phillipino civilians who had no relation to anything. This kind of indiscriminate, idiotic viciousness taken to incredible lengths was exactly the core moral problem with the Japanese Empire. It is why Nanking happened. Otherwise smart, sensible people just set their brains completely aside and threw themselves into unquestioning and absolute dedication to their emperor cult -- even worse, a fake cult which had been recently set up for political purposes.

He's pretty much the equivalent of a modern-day suicide bomber. Just another vicious, deluded jackass. And similarly celebrated by those who admire extreme self sacrifice, without considering that extreme self sacrifice is typically more evil than good.

How can you possibly know what was going through this mans mind at the time?

I'm not saying he didn't subjectively think he was at war, I'm saying that *objectively* he was a vicious idiot who was fighting long after the war had ended. Being at war is not something that depends on an individual's own conscious state. The actual war had ended decades ago, and the Empire he thought he was fighting for had not actually existed for decades. If he had had a brain in his head that did anything except mindlessly repeat "fight for Imperial Japan, no matter what, no matter WHAT" he would've known it.

If I went pathologically insane and thought I was currently fighting in WWII, that would not mean I was at war, it would mean I was insane.

That is the only thing amazing about the man. He was that deluded /mentally retarded he would think the allies would have gone through that much effort to fool him. Its not like he was part of a major operation and held crucial information that would be needed by his enemies. Theres a complete lack of intelligent thought process there.

Like I said in another post, he was more automaton than man.

I'm not saying he didn't subjectively think he was at war, I'm saying that *objectively* he was a vicious idiot who was fighting long after the war had ended. Being at war is not something that depends on an individual's own conscious state. The actual war had ended decades ago, and the Empire he thought he was fighting for had not actually existed for decades. If he had had a brain in his head that did anything except mindlessly repeat "fight for Imperial Japan, no matter what, no matter WHAT" he would've known it.

If I went pathologically insane and thought I was currently fighting in WWII, that would not mean I was at war, it would mean I was insane.

I don't think he was an idiot. I don't think he knew that the war was over. I don't think that he thought the empire had fallen. I know for a fact that he had a brain in his head.There is a big difference between you thinking that you are in WW2 right now and a man who was dropped in a foreign land (during war) and holing up in the jungle and believing that he was trying to be lured out by the enemy and conducting guerrilla operations for his country and survival. The funny thing, to me, about this thread, is that I am amazed by his survival skills (regardless of everything else that was going on) and how long he was able to make it alone and without equipment. Throw in the fact that people were hunting him and it just ups the stakes. The thread kind of took on a life of its own. Quite a controversial topic.

I agree with most of what you said, save the suicide bomber. That takes a moment of courage. This is a level of resilience that boggles my mind, but there is something beautiful in pointless loyalty, even if it is awful. Look at Patron the Greek merc serving Darius III, guy stayed with Darius and was more loyal than his own people, til the end. People like hearing these stories, even if they are twisted like Oneda's story. As people love pointless loyalty.

Also, did you ever see The Human Condition? Great movie, and very reflective from a Japanese POV of what went into making the IJA what it was.

Back