Media Jason Herzog responds to critics of his reffing during Zhang vs Yan

I thought it was a wrong call at the end of the first to let her wake up and go to her corner but I'm not sure what the actual rules say.

I'm not criticising the ref generally, but I'm shocked people are arguing that this isn't a fuck up from the ref, the fight should have been over.

Logically, you cannot be a RNC for that long without going to sleep, it was locked in for at least 15 seconds. If the ref would have checked her arm in the final few few seconds of the round, he'd have seen it was limp. If he'd have checked it immediately when the bell goes, he'll see it's limp.

The fact Zhang was underneath Yan and lift her up slightly and pull her leg out to get out from underneath her, made it look like Yan was still moving after the round finished but it was Zhang moving her. It took around 4+ seconds for her to stand up after the round had finished and she wouldn't have been wobbling all over the place if she hadn't just been napping.

The fact the buzzer has gone doesn't mean the ref can't stop the fight. If the fighter is unconscious when the round ends, they lose.
she wasn't out though, she got up.

So did Merab in the Ricky Simon fight and they still count that as a loss, my problem with shit like that is the inconsistency, these athletic commissions are completely useless.

Yan got up almost immediately. Like, within a second after Weili let go, Yan was getting up to her feet. Merab was still turning around 10 seconds after the bell.

See, this is why I ignore most of the shit said on this forum. she was out. Cold. When he grabbed her hand she was already stiff. She didnt 'get up without any hesitation' and if you think she did I pray for your family because you're a fucking retard.
Who are you praying to?

she wasn't out though, she got up.
I'm convinced you haven't actually watched the incident if you believe that.

When has someone been in a RNC for 15+ seconds and not been out.

She stood up 4 seconds after the round had ended.

I'm convinced you haven't actually watched the incident if you believe that.

When has someone been in a RNC for 15+ seconds and not been out.

She stood up 4 seconds after the round had ended.
she got up after the bell sounded, went back to her corner and fought for four more rounds.....

she got up after the bell sounded, went back to her corner and fought for four more rounds.....
She got up when she woke up from her nap. She woke up 4 seconds after the bell.

The fact she fought more rounds is irrelevant, you are capable of fighting after regaining consciousness, no one is debating that.

He physically grabbed her at 7 seconds and she definitively responded and was right there looking after that and there was noticeable change in her. There is no question she was completely out at the bell, but you are also completely wrong that if the fighter is unconscious when the round ends they lose the fight. That is not the way this sport works at all. Fighters have been knocked unconscious due to strikes during rounds and gotten back up to win the fight.

Yan made it to the bell without the fight being stopped, she was no longer in any danger at that point and she was able to get up on her own and walk back to her corner. Why the hell would you think the fight should be stopped then?
"There was no noticeable change in her after that"... Erm, except the fact she stopped moving, and was unconscious.

You even accepted that when the bell went she was asleep, so how could you claim that there was no change in them 7 seconds? A complete contradiction.

If she was asleep at the bell, basic logical deduction would tell us she was also asleep before the bell. The footage suggests she was likely asleep for 3-4 seconds before the bell rung.

She also took 4 seconds to stand up, which means she was unconscious several seconds after the bell also.

I'm actually amazed that you think you can just be unconscious at the bell and then you just need to make sure you wake up in the next 60 seconds so you're ready for the next round.

The fight should have been stopped before the bell realistically, which was the refs first mistake. You can't then have a fighter take a nap for 4 seconds after the bell and not stop the fight, which is his 2nd mistake.

As for fighter being KO'd and coming back - fighters appear to go to sleep for a split second and come back to keep moving, whereby people and the ref aren't even sure if they've been out or not. It's ambiguous.

Someone being asleep for several seconds from a choke is completely different.

Last edited:
Yan got up almost immediately. Like, within a second after Weili let go, Yan was getting up to her feet.
This just not true.

Zhang pushed Yan off her so she could get up/get her leg free which made it look like Yan was moving, but it was Zhang moving her.

Yan got up 4 seconds after the bell.

Since she was unconscious at the bell and had been in a RNC for 15+ seconds, logic would tell us she was also unconscious for multiple seconds before the bell also.

So she's asleep before the bell and after the bell... The fight must be over.

The question isn't if Yan can continue given 60 seconds to recover. The question is did she get put unconscious within the alloted timeframe of the round. The answer is yes, and so Zhang has to be given the win.

If you get trolled, get trolling.

It was a poor performance from Herzog though
why was it poor.. she literally went out right at the bell... you cant stop it then... she has a minute to recover... i think he did a amzing job for a championship fioght.. and for about 3 minutes there it looked like Yan was taking over the fight... herzog to me is the best

I think that fight proved that Herzog made the right call. At the end of round 3, Yan had a chance. Zhang was looking drained and the momentum was all in Yan's favor. Had Zhang not been able to panic wrestle and control the last 2 rounds, I honestly think Yan would have won that fight by TKO.

Those last 2 rounds should be a priceless learning experience for Yan. She needs to work on her defensive wrestling and defensive BJJ, and she can beat even the champion.
i think those last 2 are just as important for zhang, and next she dominates even easier by not trying to just end it..

why was it poor.. she literally went out right at the bell... you cant stop it then... she has a minute to recover... i think he did a amzing job for a championship fioght.. and for about 3 minutes there it looked like Yan was taking over the fight... herzog to me is the best
Wait... you actually believe a fighter can lay there for 59 seconds after a round has finished and as long as they wake up from their nap they can just continue into the next round?

If you're unconscious within the alloted timeframe of the round, you've lost. She was out in the seconds leading up to the bell, and the seconds after the bell. That's called getting finished.

I mean people have been KO'ed on the very last second of the round and wobbled back to their corner. I don't think this is any different. It looks brutal but this is MMA so I don't really have too much sympathy for those peeps. Go watch tennis or something.

Also, I think it's in the rules somewhere that even if the bell rings, the ref can call it after the fact. Herzog saw she was coming to and let it rip, so he gets props for that. As mentioned earlier, the fact that Yan made it fight means it was the right call.

It wasn't debatable.

The girl got up and walked (stumbled) to her corner. And she answered the bell.

It wasn't debatable according to any rule, it was just close due to being choked at the very end of the round. A couple more seconds on the clock and the most likely outcome is that Herzog would have called it.

Good reffing. Even brought in a translator to make sure the girl knew he would dock the next fence grab.

Turned into an okay fight. Great experience for the challenger. She faded in R5, but you can't buy that kind of fight experience. I predict she'll grow from it.

Herzog is the best ref ref right now.

I thought he did a good job. Zhang also held that sub after the bell.
Yeah the only reason I was ok with the ref letting Yan go out and then recover was because Yan may have not been choked out if Weili didn’t hold that sub the extra second

Back