Media Jason Herzog responds to critics of his reffing during Zhang vs Yan

She was out dude. You can clearly see her go limp when Weili let go and it took her several seconds to wake up.
have you trained before? when people go out from RNCs that are legit, they don't get up right away in less than 2 seconds, let alone fight MMA for four more rounds and win one against a champ. she wasn't totally blaked out, she was on the verge, she got up after the bell, walked to her stool, and came out fought for four more rounds.

have you trained before? when people go out from RNCs that are legit, they don't get up right away in less than 2 seconds, let alone fight MMA for four more rounds and win one against a champ. she wasn't totally blaked out, she was on the verge, she got up after the bell, walked to her stool, and came out fought for four more rounds.
If memory serves Weili had to push her dead weight off her, Yan was stiff for a couple seconds after she let go.

Herzog made a mistake for sure. Yan was clearly unconscious for at least a few seconds before the bell rang, and didn't immediately regain consciousness even after it did.

It has no relevance at all how Yan ended up doing in the following rounds when she got finished in the first according to the rules.

That being said, Herzog is probably one of my all-time favorite refs and this won't change my opinion of him. Everyone makes mistakes sometimes.

I mean people have been KO'ed on the very last second of the round and wobbled back to their corner. I don't think this is any different. It looks brutal but this is MMA so I don't really have too much sympathy for those peeps. Go watch tennis or something.

Also, I think it's in the rules somewhere that even if the bell rings, the ref can call it after the fact. Herzog saw she was coming to and let it rip, so he gets props for that. As mentioned earlier, the fact that Yan made it fight means it was the right call.
People aren't questioning the safety of it, no one gives a shit about that.

It's the fact that she was unconscious in seconds leading up to the bell and 3-4 seconds after the bell, the fight should be called if you're unconscious when the round ends. If Yan had gone on to win this fight it would be unjust as Zhang should have already won in round 1.

If someone jumps up right at the bell who may or may not have been unconscious, then you might see them continue because it's ambiguous and debatable whether they were out.

But there's nothing debatable here, she was out and the fight should be over.

She got up 4 seconds after the bell, stumbling around when she got up, she was definitely unconscious and Zhang had to push her off when the round finished because Yan wasn't moving.

Logically if she was out at the bell, she was out in the seconds leading up to the bell, likely 3-4 seconds looking at the footage.

How can you can unconscious for 6+ seconds total and wake up and be given a minute to recover.

Wait... you actually believe a fighter can lay there for 59 seconds after a round has finished and as long as they wake up from their nap they can just continue into the next round?

If you're unconscious within the alloted timeframe of the round, you've lost. She was out in the seconds leading up to the bell, and the seconds after the bell. That's called getting finished.
that is completely untrue...

If he had stopped it, people would have been crying that she got up and thus wasn't out.

Fans love to cry about shit.

This scenario happened to be just right on the line of the grey area between choked out and not choked out. Ref watched closely, made his call and stuck with it.

<WhatItIs>

Back