Jeff Sessions: 'Not enough basis' for special counsel to investigate Hillary Clinton

Trump has every right to fire Comey as he serves at the pleasure of the president. Where is it written that a president exercising his clear right to terminate an employee shall trigger a special prosecutor into everything and everyone regarding anything going back decades?

On a side note firing comey would have 0 impact on the investigation into collusion. It would go in unimpeded by a new director.

And trump didn't fire him because he was investigating him...He repeatedly told trump he was NOT under investigation. If anything he fired him because he wouldn't tell the public the same, leaving trump under a cloud of suspicion.

Trump fired Flynn for lying about Russia...

Comey starts looking into Flynn and Russia...

Trump pressures him to stop while praising him overall...

Trump fires Comey.

How dishonest can you be.

Yes, he has every right to do so, and the DOJ has every right to create a special counsel.

You are wrong, though the FBI director doesnt serves at the pleasure of anyone. They can be fired by the president but their appointment is confirmed by the Senate.

So you think it's reasonable for the DOJ to appoint a special prosecutor in response to a president firing someone who he has every right to fire?

Trump fired Flynn for lying about Russia...

Comey starts looking into Flynn and Russia...

Trump pressures him to stop while praising him overall...

Trump fires Comey.

How dishonest can you be.

Comey himself said under oath that Trump did not pressure him to end the investigation. Thanks though

So you think it's reasonable for the DOJ to appoint a special prosecutor in response to a president firing someone who he has every right to fire?

Nope, but neither is reasonable to fire an FBI director because you want him to be loyal to you.

Comey himself said under oath that Trump did not pressure him to end the investigation. Thanks though

https://www.google.com/amp/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN1901FJ

Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump on Friday denied he tried to interfere with an FBI investigation, effectively accusing James Comey, the FBI's former director, of lying under oath to Congress.

Comey delivered scathing remarks about the president on Thursday at a congressional hearing and testified that Trump had asked him to drop a Federal Bureau of Investigation probe into former aide Michael Flynn and his alleged ties to Russia.

Trump said Comey's testimony also vindicated him from allegations that he colluded with Russian meddling in the 2016 U.S. presidential election.

"James Comey confirmed a lot of what I said. And some of the things that he said just weren't true," Trump said at a news conference in the White House Rose Garden.

Asked by a reporter if he had told Comey to drop the investigation into former national security adviser Flynn, Trump said, "I didn't say that."

The reporter then asked, "So he lied about that?"

"Well, I didn't say that. I mean, I will tell you, I didn't say that," Trump replied. "And there would be nothing wrong if I did say it according to everybody that I've read today, but I did not say that," he said.

Nope, but neither is reasonable to fire an FBI director because you want him to be loyal to you.

I doubt you think that anything trump does is reasonable but I'm glad that you admitted that the special prosecutor was not warranted.

https://www.google.com/amp/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN1901FJ

Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump on Friday denied he tried to interfere with an FBI investigation, effectively accusing James Comey, the FBI's former director, of lying under oath to Congress.

Comey delivered scathing remarks about the president on Thursday at a congressional hearing and testified that Trump had asked him to drop a Federal Bureau of Investigation probe into former aide Michael Flynn and his alleged ties to Russia.

Trump said Comey's testimony also vindicated him from allegations that he colluded with Russian meddling in the 2016 U.S. presidential election.

"James Comey confirmed a lot of what I said. And some of the things that he said just weren't true," Trump said at a news conference in the White House Rose Garden.

Asked by a reporter if he had told Comey to drop the investigation into former national security adviser Flynn, Trump said, "I didn't say that."

The reporter then asked, "So he lied about that?"

"Well, I didn't say that. I mean, I will tell you, I didn't say that," Trump replied. "And there would be nothing wrong if I did say it according to everybody that I've read today, but I did not say that," he said.

I listened to the entire testimony. Comey said that Trump had alluded that Flynn was a good guy and "hoped" he could see clear to not go after him.

Hoping something has never ever risen to the charge of obstruction. And he was later asked if trump had ever asked or pressured him to end the Russian investigation and Comey said no.

Again nice try.

Let's not forget that sacred cow Comey, who was previously instructed by Loretta lynch to use inaccurate terminology to mislead the public about the Clinton investigation, admitted under oath that he leaked FBI memos in an attempt to spark a special counsel.

So a butt hurt leaker, who participated in an obstruction attempt by lynch was able to initiate a special counsel. ...and you fools think that's reasonable...lol

I listened to the entire testimony. Comey said that Trump had alluded that Flynn was a good guy and "hoped" he could see clear to not go after him.

Hoping something has never ever risen to the charge of obstruction. And he was later asked if trump had ever asked or pressured him to end the Russian investigation and Comey said no.

Again nice try.

It's public record. Trump asked him to stop looking into Flynn and a pledge of loyalty.

And when asked why he thought he was fired he said he took the Presidents word that it was over the Russian Investigation.

Now that we've gotten this far Sessions recused himself on Russia and Rosenstein recused himself because of his recommendation to fire Comey..... and now we have a Special Investigation!

On June 7, 2017 an advance copy of Comey's prepared congressional testimony was submitted to the Senate Intelligence Committee.[190] In it, he said that on February 14, 2017, the President attempted to persuade him to "let go" of any investigation into Michael Flynn.[16] He clarified that "I had understood the President to be requesting that we drop any investigation of Flynn in connection with false statements about his conversations with the Russian ambassador in December. I did not understand the President to be talking about the broader investigation into Russia or possible links to his campaign."[191] He added that Trump requested his personal loyalty, to which Comey replied he would give his "honest loyalty" to the President.[191] Comey stated that, on three occasions, he volunteered to Trump that the latter was not personally under investigation.[191][192] Comey stated that Trump requested that he publicly declare this so that his image could be improved, but Comey also stated that he did not respond to Trump's request with an explanation of why he would not do so; Comey testified that his primary reason for not publicly saying Trump was not under investigation was to avoid a "duty to correct" in the event Trump later became subject to investigation.[193][194]

In his live testimony, Comey was asked why he thought he was fired and he replied, "I take the president at his word that I was fired because of the Russia investigation."[195] He took strong exception to Trump's claims that he had fired Comey because the FBI was in "disarray" and "poorly led", saying "Those were lies, plain and simple."[196] Comey also confirmed that the FBI investigations had not targeted Trump personally.[197]

Let's not forget that sacred cow Comey, who was previously instructed by Loretta lynch to use inaccurate terminology to mislead the public about the Clinton investigation, admitted under oath that he leaked FBI memos in an attempt to spark a special counsel.

So a butt hurt leaker, who participated in an obstruction attempt by lynch was able to initiate a special counsel. ...and you fools think that's reasonable...lol

Trump set himself up for a Special Investigation because he's incompetent

I doubt you think that anything trump does is reasonable but I'm glad that you admitted that the special prosecutor was not warranted.

No im talking about authority.

The DOJ has the authority over the special investigation as much as the president has over the firing.

With the Attorney General of the U.S. says "I don't recall" that much in testimony, the question must be asked if he's fit for the position.

Maybe his mind is going...

We aren't Russia so we don't go after our political opponents based on very bad information, that is what one would call a witch hunt.

If "go after" means "prosecute" and "bad information" means "untruths" then yeah, facts are key. If "go after" means look into political corruption then one must first look into it in order to assess the quality of the information. Unless of course one is just parroting that mantra in order to spare their affiliation any embarrassment. In that case the whole goal is not to assess the quality of the information through the use of misdirection.

It's public record. Trump asked him to stop looking into Flynn and a pledge of loyalty.

And when asked why he thought he was fired he said he took the Presidents word that it was over the Russian Investigation.

Now that we've gotten this far Sessions recused himself on Russia and Rosenstein recused himself because of his recommendation to fire Comey..... and now we have a Special Investigation!

On June 7, 2017 an advance copy of Comey's prepared congressional testimony was submitted to the Senate Intelligence Committee.[190] In it, he said that on February 14, 2017, the President attempted to persuade him to "let go" of any investigation into Michael Flynn.[16] He clarified that "I had understood the President to be requesting that we drop any investigation of Flynn in connection with false statements about his conversations with the Russian ambassador in December. I did not understand the President to be talking about the broader investigation into Russia or possible links to his campaign."[191] He added that Trump requested his personal loyalty, to which Comey replied he would give his "honest loyalty" to the President.[191] Comey stated that, on three occasions, he volunteered to Trump that the latter was not personally under investigation.[191][192] Comey stated that Trump requested that he publicly declare this so that his image could be improved, but Comey also stated that he did not respond to Trump's request with an explanation of why he would not do so; Comey testified that his primary reason for not publicly saying Trump was not under investigation was to avoid a "duty to correct" in the event Trump later became subject to investigation.[193][194]

In his live testimony, Comey was asked why he thought he was fired and he replied, "I take the president at his word that I was fired because of the Russia investigation."[195] He took strong exception to Trump's claims that he had fired Comey because the FBI was in "disarray" and "poorly led", saying "Those were lies, plain and simple."[196] Comey also confirmed that the FBI investigations had not targeted Trump personally.[197]

Instead of your wall of text why not point out where I'm wrong with the actual transcript. Trump did ask for his loyalty in a one on one meeting. What he meant by loyalty is up to interpretation.

He also said he "hoped" Flynn wouldn't be pursued further and that he was a good guy. Again not obstruction.

He also said he found no evidence of wrongdoing by trump and trump never instructed him to stop the investigation.

All the shit I just wrote is accurate.

No im talking about authority.

The DOJ has the authority over the special investigation as much as the president has over the firing.

No one is disputing that the doj has the authority Mr scarecrow. The question is whether it was reasonable which you admitted it was not which was my entire point. Case closed, have a nice day.

this is painful to read....lol who am i kidding its hilarious...

Back