News Jiri didnt tell full truth in post interview to "protect" Goddard from hate recording to his recent Czech interviews

I wonder how your "sign of life" rule would stand up in the inevitable lawsuits that followed.

Hint; the ufc would be sued into oblivion and the sport would move back into the "we need to ban this barbaric human cockfighting" territory.

Also, I care about fighters. Sometimes fighters get title shot too early, learn from it and come back stronger later to go on to have a legandsry career. You want the possibility beaten out of them. Brain damage aside, most fighters are never the same after they go out cold. It's the absolute worst thing for a fighters mentality. Exponentially worse than just losing or being Subbed. As one example, even if you don't remember being koed the body remembers. It can take months, years or sometimes never to stop unconsciously flinching in sparring after being laid out because now you know what can happen.

I also want fighters being able to form full sentences while still in thier 40s. If you actually like MMA and fighters, reconsider your position. If you just like experiencing unfettered violence, get married.

All fair points, I assume you've never complained about an early stoppage then?

Anyone who watched it could see that he wasn't out. Hurt, but not out. Props to him for trying to protect the ref from backlash. I think he did look a little rusty, but I think he shakes that off and comes back stronger.

All fair points, I assume you've never complained about an early stoppage then?

Blatant mistakes and corruption aside, not in MMA, no. I'm old (48 now) and I come from a MT/boxing background which treat stoppages differently from MMA. I was also at many early NHB fights that went on far too long, which also shaped my views.

Being in a boxing gym around old fighters when I was young and spending hours talking to them, plus being koed a couple of times myself (never cold, thank god) informed my stance as well.

As soon as you realize combat sports are not real fights or even really a close analogue I think your view might shift. All sports' rules set parameters for what is within the sport's boundaries and what's not. I want concern for fighters health to be within those parameters.

MMA is a sport, people often forget the sport part of combat sport. As I joked about above, real fights involve weapons. The cliche of two guys chivalrously duking it out and then having a cold one after is more myth than reality. It can happen, but when fights turn serious; weapons, other people, concrete floors etc get involved. The environment itself is a weapon MMA removes. Even if the fight resolves the losing party often looks for revenge later... with a weapon. My point here is, don't confuse mma with a real fight.

Arguments that fighter X (Barry v Kongo) came back from being badly hurt don't shift my opinion. Most fights don't go that way, usually the badly hurt guy just gets hurt more. I'd rather sacrifice the 1 time the guy might come back to prevent the 20 times a guy might have his career beaten out of him.

I also don't care if a fighter wanted to "Go out on his sheild". Young men and fighters often need to be protected from themselves. As a sidenote, many corners in MMA need a rark up.

If a fighter doesn't want a fight stopped it's his or hers job to not allow themselves to get hurt enough to fall within parameters that the question of stopping the fight enters into the referees mind.

Last edited:
he was just being classy. we knew this. he has a right to be pissed. let him go out on his shield, don’t stop the fight right as he recovers.

amen. those with eyes and brains know the fight wasn't done

He took two unanswered strikes in that exchange. Every other strike occurred whilst he was attempting to take Alex down which is counted as offence. The ground game exists in MMA.
The fight was stopped off a knockdown and Pereira obtaining mount.

Kickboxing is known for its striking from mount...
Glover is Pereira's coach... he taught him his ground game (and plenty of UFC fighters back in the day) and how to ground and pound from mount.

That was an extremely early stoppage.

He was getting pummeled in the head in all of those 15 strikes. While, Jiri was grabbing desperately at Alex's legs, that does not constitute defense. Fact is, he was not doing anything to stop those sledgehammers from landing in his head clean.

Again, regarding Glover, it has nothing to do with the Alex situation since Alex is twice as strong, much bigger and hits way harder with so much more weight behind his punches (because he weighs 235 lbs at fight night). It has absolutely NOTHING to do with Alex landing those sledge hammers in his head.

99% probability Alex would have given Jiri CTE, if the fight had continued for another 2 - 3 seconds. I would give it less than 1% chance Jiri would have pulled a rabbit out of his hat and reversed the tide because the circumstances all are against that. Goddard saved Jiri's life when he was helplessly on his back and had no answer to the slaedgehammers Alex was landing. Jiri should be thanking Goddard for saving his life and extending his career, but his inflated and bruised ego would not let him since he wants to pretend he would have magically turned the tide. Talk is cheap as they say

Alex.png

Last edited:
In all honesty he did a lot better than most people thought,

He was completely out
Literally not true. It's not the worst stoppage in the world. But to most fans it was an early stoppage. Posts like yours do no favors to the good stoppage crowd by claiming shit that just isn't true.

Blatant mistakes and corruption aside, not in MMA, no. I'm old (48 now) and I come from a MT/boxing background which treat stoppages differently from MMA. I was also at many early NHB fights that went on far too long, which also shaped my views.

Being in a boxing gym around old fighters when I was young and spending hours talking to them, plus being koed a couple of times myself (never cold, thank god) informed my stance as well.

As soon as you realize combat sports are not real fights or even really a close analogue I think your view might shift. All sports' rules set parameters for what is within the sport's boundaries and what's not. I want concern for fighters health to be within those parameters.

MMA is a sport, people often forget the sport part of combat sport. As I joked about above, real fights involve weapons. The cliche of two guys chivalrously duking it out and then having a cold one after is more myth than reality. It can happen, but when fights turn serious; weapons, other people, concrete floors etc get involved. The environment itself is a weapon MMA removes. Even if the fight resolves the losing party often looks for revenge later... with a weapon. My point here is, don't confuse mma with a real fight.

Arguments that fighter X (Barry v Kongo) came back from being badly hurt don't shift my opinion. Most fights don't go that way, usually the badly hurt guy just gets hurt more. I'd rather sacrifice the 1 time the guy might come back to prevent the 20 times a guy might have his career beaten out of him.

I also don't care if a fighter wanted to "Go out on his sheild". Young men and fighters often need to be protected from themselves. As a sidenote, many corners in MMA need a rark up.

If a fighter doesn't want a fight stopped it's his or hers job to not allow themselves to get hurt enough to fall within parameters that the question of stopping the fight falls into the referees mind.

I respect your opinion and it has a lot of merit. I do however feel some additional leeway is required for title fights in the marquee MMA franchise.

Next title shot should go to the Ankalaev vs Hill winner (Hill won't be ready until the 2nd half of 2024, no point making Pereira wait 6+ months for him) in the meantime Jiri can fight the Blachowicz vs Rakic 2 winner imo.

Anka is fighting Walker next isn't he?

Literally not true. It's not the worst stoppage in the world. But to most fans it was an early stoppage. Posts like yours do no favors to the good stoppage crowd by claiming shit that just isn't true.

who knows.. maybe if Goddard didn't stop it Jiri would've found a way to win, and if Goddard didn't stop Alex vs Izzy 1, Poatan would'nt have gotten that belt either

Interesting Goddard with early stoppages in both cases in title fights for Poatan..

MMA interviews are a waste of time. All professional fighters are crazy, delusional or often both. You have to be to get to the top.

Almost all fighters formulate reasons they should have won in the aftermath of a loss. It protects the confidence you need to not overthink during a fight. Some will admit to the excuses they have given themselves, some won't. They are also incentervised to not be honest about thier training or the technical aspects of thier game. It's impossible to tell what's honest, partly honest, a purposeful lie or simply delusional. It's got even worst after Conor managed to convince a worryingly large percentage of fighters they needed a wrestling type persona to sell fights (I thought it was the promoters job to promote fights, hence the 100s of millions Dana has been paid despite never having risked serious longterm brain injury actually doing what the entire product is; fighting).

Hence, MMA interviews with fighter are largely a waste of time for anything outside of the entertainment you might derive from hagiography.

Some good points in here sir.

But what about all the threads saying we were stupid for thinking it was stopped early?

Yeah they are rematching as a main event in January. Pereira should be able to fight the winner before the summer if he's looking to stay active.

But what about all the threads saying we were stupid for thinking it was stopped early?
They were all reliant on the interview of Jiri being humble. Of course he didn't want it stopped. He just didn't want to come off as an asshole and didn't want people attacking Mark Goddard.

I respect your opinion and it has a lot of merit. I do however feel some additional leeway is required for title fights in the marquee MMA franchise.

I agree with some leeway for sure. For example, amateur fights should always be stopped earlier than Pro fights. I've stopped ameteur fights before any damage has been done because a guy was obviously badly overmatched. Pro fights get more leeway and championship fights some more. The question is where the outside of those parameters to stop fights are drawn and how they collide with a refs on the spot decision making and (unfortunately unavoidable) subjective bias. It's my preference that fights are stopped a little early than left too late.

My reaction tends to be, that was quick but I don't complain or question it unless it's an obvious mistake (guy is not out in a sub) or blatantly corrupt (see about a billion Japanese fights). Being in the ring and hearing the shots and the involuntary vocal reaction from the guy being hit can inform a ref in a way you can't tell from home. Those elbows from Poatan might have sounded brutal and there are various sounds you can hear from a guy that indicate he's probably done.

As stated above, i believe that its a fighters job to not put themselves in positions that make a ref think about stopping a fight.

Thanks for the good chat. Respect to you sir.

I think they should go back to letting cats get knocked out, therefore there'd be no controversy.

Too many times its right on the line and a few more shots would shut the lights and nobody could complain.

Just my thoughts of course sir

Yeah they are rematching as a main event in January. Pereira should be able to fight the winner before the summer if he's looking to stay active.

Oh ok, the way you said it Anka was ready for that title shot now.
This makes more sense.

Anka is a fighter I find almost impossible to gage. I don't understand what he's trying to do gamelan wise half the time. I'd love someone to explain him to me :(

I think he's really good when I breakdown his skills, but I'm also totally unsure about any match-up he goes into.

Wouldn't be surprised if he dominates hill.
Wouldn't be surprised if hill smashes him.
Wouldn't be surprised if it was the most boring fight in lhw history that ended in a majority draw.
Wouldn't be surprised if Anka did something totally crazy and got DQed.

Back