Jiu Jitsu Friendly Jobs?

Don't know if public service is ones "thing" but if I could do it again, I'd definitely go the Firefighter route. The public loves Firefighters. They get to work out at the house, and they generally have a lot of down time for second jobs or recreational pursuits. Guess I just loved guns too much.

There are jobs out there that allow you to be a "casual" employee where you pick up shifts when the full time staff are sick/vacation, etc...

This allows you to build your own schedule at work. It allows you to work shifts on your rest days from training or make sure you pick up shifts where you can train as well...

(Those jobs are mostly in hospitals Rn's, porters, cleaners, PSW) Etc

You can have a full-time job and still train full time. The down side is that you really wont have much time left outside that to take care of anything else or have a social life.

I'm a real estate agent so I make my own schedule and train as much as I want. My biggest restriction is the wife not the job.

I won't worry about the energy.

You really need a job where you can earn as much money as possible because entering and travel to various bjj comp is expensive.
That's a fantastic point

I wonder could anybody comment real quick on how well traveling jobs work for jiu jitsu? I have an opportunity to apply for a traveling position with my company and its a 9-5 on location, actually the only problem I would have with it is family time.

Teacher. Get out at 3, random days/weeks off for morning classes. If I get hurt, I can sit while I teach.

right now your concerned about job, you want a job that lets you train. In a few years you have a gf, a wife, a kid, and you want all those things to let you train. You want a gf thats ok with bjj, then your married, your marriage life may be complicated due to bjj (read other posts in this forum asking for marital advice), then you have a kid, and that goes along with marital complications.

really nice advice :)

unless you have the luck of meeting your wife at bjj, then enrolling your kids into the kids classes while you train, but that is very slim ;) but your priorities will def change as your life goes on

federal LEO

4 days on , 3 days off

I train on my 3 days off, 2 x day.

bartender

good
1. cash income
2. work weekend nights
3. awesome effort-to-pay ratio
4. alcohol. alcohol everywhere.

bad
1. work weekend nights (tournaments)
2. drunk people
3. alcohol. alcohol everywhere.

Dental tech/hygienist. Requires a extra one or two years of instruction, but a lot of positions are part time so you can have time to train. Know a couple people who do this and it seems like the pay is decent for an part-time, hourly job.

I wouldn't recommend any jobs in food service, because in the long run, they do nothing for your resume unless you want to continue working in food service.

Tbh, any job would be able to accommodate BJJ. It's not really about the job, more about YOU. Are you willing to make it work?

I've seen police officers with brutal schedules/shifts, and still manage to show up for classes and mat time.

How bad do you want it?

Tbh, any job would be able to accommodate BJJ. It's not really about the job, more about YOU. Are you willing to make it work?

This.

I have a really demanding job. But I make it work because it's important to me. IMO, you've got to fit the training into the job, not the other way around. If you want it, you can make it work.

Unless you are a professional fighter and just need some job to get by until you make it. That's a different story.

The job doesn't matter so much.

The reason I see men missing class the most is women...

JohnSouth is correct. If you find a girl that is into training, seriously into her own thing, or just have no girl, it won't matter. You'll have time. You've just got to be willing to dump a girl over training if it comes to it for you. Why am I responding to such an old thread?

Don't know if public service is ones "thing" but if I could do it again, I'd definitely go the Firefighter route. The public loves Firefighters. They get to work out at the house, and they generally have a lot of down time for second jobs or recreational pursuits. Guess I just loved guns too much.

Am firefighter, will agree. You do have a lot of time, especially at a slower station. I do strength training on my work days and BJJ on my off days. If I didn't have a family I'd be doing two or three-a-days for sure.

Having guns isn't normally an issue for getting hired as a firefighter though. If it was, about 3/4 of my department wouldn't have a job...including most of the top brass.

Dental tech/hygienist. Requires a extra one or two years of instruction, but a lot of positions are part time so you can have time to train. Know a couple people who do this and it seems like the pay is decent for an part-time, hourly job.

I wouldn't recommend any jobs in food service, because in the long run, they do nothing for your resume unless you want to continue working in food service.

if you enjoy training in gi i wouldn't recommend dental hygienist. with the amount of finger/hand injuries you get while rolling, it's actually a horrible career/bjj hobby combination.

JohnSouth is correct. If you find a girl that is into training, seriously into her own thing, or just have no girl, it won't matter. You'll have time. You've just got to be willing to dump a girl over training if it comes to it for you. Why am I responding to such an old thread?

lol, i looked and i responded to this thread 2 years ago, should have taken my own advice. :redface:

This.

I have a really demanding job. But I make it work because it's important to me. IMO, you've got to fit the training into the job, not the other way around. If you want it, you can make it work.

Unless you are a professional fighter and just need some job to get by until you make it. That's a different story.

I still struggle with this and would love to make it work. My work week is pretty average (60 hrs + per week and working 6 days per week at work and then part time college thrown in on top of that) You mention your work is demanding so I guess your up around the 80 -100+ hrs per week).You sound like you may be able to send some advice the way of those of us that struggle for time. Any advice how you deal with your schedule

Back