Job change and pay advice

Where do you see yourself in 5 years, TS?

I'd advise you to learn to spell advice.

Just kidding... it's a pet peeve. ;)

Getting in the bottom floor of a startup is the way to go if you are a risk taker. I work in medical research and have run across 4 or 5 people my age and younger who are rich as fuck.

Sounds like you need to find another job, however in the meantime don't burn any bridges and play the game well. Never stop working hard regardless.

"Find a job you love and you will never work a day in your life"

Ken Flo

Let me bump this thread by saying that I probably screwed my socially retarded self from future references.

I am still at the same place as the OP. I have had a few chances to get a new job, but none of which pay more than I currently get. I am actively seeking that nice raise aside from a chance for a more suitable job.

I recently got back form a longish break. When I got back people were looking at me strange. Granted they have been looking at me strange since I started, because of how much I am not a fit to the company. I also never really actively made much effort to branch out and network. I don't have a friendly disposition to begin with, and my stint in this office is bad even for my standards.

But now it seems a handful are aware of my intention of leaving the company, especially the managers. I never exactly made it a secret that I was: pushed for lateral movement in another department, sending job applications even during work hours, trying to hide in the pantry while being phone-interviewed. It's still fairly surprising to me because I never told anyone I work with directly in a straight up way.

They probably talked a few times about me when I was gone. The times that I was close to raging out due to work piling up despite my efforts to schedule it properly. I am commonly a wallflower in social situations. Through no fault of my own, I had been subject to a hissy fit involving a superior in another department.

I recently took up some out-of-office training recently which I had to inform my manager about. I started taking them specifically to help my chances to find another job. She likely talked about it with her pals (they share everything with each other) and they deduced my plans of leaving.

There was a senior worker who quit recently from being burned out but her situation was different and more understandable than mine. I'd like to think I would find my next job in 3-6 months. Or I could just quit after I get all the training I need and find work (risky).

Any advice on how to salvage my reputation?

I'm in a similar position. It seems that I've landed myself a very stable and safe job at the moment. I've only been here a few months but imvho, the work to pay ratio is too much therefore I'm going to be looking for employment elsewhere. But realistically, am I going to find something as stable and solid as this? Life is a risk I guess.

In your case, and anyone elses who's unhappy, I'd always say leave and focus on getting something better, but it depends on your situation / family life.

All in all, life is a bit shit sometimes.

Let me bump this thread by saying that I probably screwed my socially retarded self from future references.

I am still at the same place as the OP. I have had a few chances to get a new job, but none of which pay more than I currently get. I am actively seeking that nice raise aside from a chance for a more suitable job.

I recently got back form a longish break. When I got back people were looking at me strange. Granted they have been looking at me strange since I started, because of how much I am not a fit to the company. I also never really actively made much effort to branch out and network. I don't have a friendly disposition to begin with, and my stint in this office is bad even for my standards.

But now it seems a handful are aware of my intention of leaving the company, especially the managers. I never exactly made it a secret that I was: pushed for lateral movement in another department, sending job applications even during work hours, trying to hide in the pantry while being phone-interviewed. It's still fairly surprising to me because I never told anyone I work with directly in a straight up way.

They probably talked a few times about me when I was gone. The times that I was close to raging out due to work piling up despite my efforts to schedule it properly. I am commonly a wallflower in social situations. Through no fault of my own, I had been subject to a hissy fit involving a superior in another department.

I recently took up some out-of-office training recently which I had to inform my manager about. I started taking them specifically to help my chances to find another job. She likely talked about it with her pals (they share everything with each other) and they deduced my plans of leaving.

There was a senior worker who quit recently from being burned out but her situation was different and more understandable than mine. I'd like to think I would find my next job in 3-6 months. Or I could just quit after I get all the training I need and find work (risky).

Any advice on how to salvage my reputation?

Your employer knowing you may be looking to leave or are unhappy isn't necessarily a bad thing.
I've used that angle multiple times to leverage more money and other concessions out of various employers. Though i can't say for sure, my complaints of my previous manager and my threats to walk due to it was likely one of the reasons why he's my previous manager.

If you're an asset to the company, most smart companies will try to retain you. If you're not, then you're expendable. You need to know where you stand in that regards, and make decisions based off of it.

You can salvage your relationship at work by not being that weirdo at the office that always has a bad attitude.

I've noticed people that complain about "Office Politics" usually blame their lack of social skills on office politics. The higher you get in companies you realize that company culture and fit make become more important. Sure you may do your job well and be a high performer, but who the fuck wants to work with the angry guy who mean mugs them all the time? I'm not saying you have to sit around the office cooler talking about the Kardashians, but an occasional smile and random chit chat will not make you fake.

Bump- the same job appeared in the same job site I initially applied to. I am thinking if I should apply again or email the contact person whose email address I still have. If so, what should I say? The salary I seek is above what they are willing to give me.

I would really like to have a better job by the end of the year. Ideally it should be a regular commute with a higher salary but this should vary depending on how much I gain in the new company.

I would likely learn a lot if I lower my asking salary and get the initial job as my OP but it will be kind of dumb if I accept a job paying lower than my current considering I would lose the other benefits I get with this current job.

To make things interesting, the pending pay increase in my current employer looks dead in the water + the employees are expecting "cutbacks" would hurt some of the more senior company people with regards to pension and bonuses.

Update - Nov. 11, 2017

After signing up to a new jobsite, I have had two phone interviews and an actual interview. One phone interviewer merely asked my salary expectations and didn't call back, the other said straight up that what I ask was more than they can give me. The interview I had two days ago went great except for the part when the interviewer said "I'll try to fight for your what you ask to my manager". I just got an email saying they regret to inform me .....

So all three seem to have a problem with my salary demands. I might be missing something but the amount of increase I ask is not that big of a leap compared to my current package. It could be because the benefits of my current company is so good that my current total package is disproportionately large considering my relatively low experience level.

Still, I don't want to leave my current company without that raise. And I don't want to stay in my current company any longer than a few more months. Any other job within the vicinity of my qualifications, I''ll take for as long as I can leave this job for a better paying one.

What should a Staff Sergeant do?

*******************************************************************************************************

Cliffs:
-Low basic pay (w/ pending increase) + excellent benefits + stability + work and environment doesn't match skills/personality.

vs.

Potentially higher pay + unknown benefits + startup environment + I am stoked for the new challenge and learning opportunities.

I am on the verge of my most important career decision yet, but who needs a career coach with years of experience, when you got SD Mayberry?

My current job has a low base pay but really good benefits and a pension program some people would cut their right arm for. But because the nature of the job and work environment is just not a fit for me, have been actively seeking better employment.

I have been contacted by a potential employer who got my resume by a job ad site I am a member in. I was pleasantly surprised that they'd consider me because even if I had the right credentials for it, my experience level is not nearly what they need as stated in the job ad. I have been interviewed and it went very well.

By it's description, I REALLY WANT this job. It will use all the skills I have been building up for myself and will give me such good learning opportunity.

The head guy of the company interviewed me himself and he was kind enough not to ask me my salary expectation right away. I could just email him the details, which just goes to show the environment they have in that company. To me, that's a sign of how much I'd fit in the company because I have issues with how I was hired in this current company I am in and they way of moving up the ladder (very bureaucratic).

If it is a question of how much I want to relocate, I really want this new job. But the stability route is to stay with this current company since it has been and likely will be around forever. The new potential employer has only been around for two years, albeit with a good business strategy and partners.

Here's my "catch 22": I could be getting a huge pay raise in this company I am in. The amount that I have put in my job ad when I was contacted by the potential employer is higher, but I don't really know the benefits. They may not provide as much because they're new. I can ask about pay and benefits through email.

To be descriptive, let me make up numbers:

My current salary is 45k, with potential of going up to 50k. The salary I put in my job ad is 52k. The extent of the salary in the job ad is 60k. I can ask for the max of 60k but I feel that's greedy because I don't have the experience they seek. They may know my asking salary is 52k, but I think I should ask them for at least 55k, and a partial amount of benefits that I have in my current job.

I definitely don't want to price myself out of an offer from them but I feel I should ask for the highest base pay I can.

Push your boss down and make him eat dirt

I live in a country where shit like that doesn't fly, and it would be very easy for me to have a legal course of action if I am to be terminated like that.

And what I meant by "if they don't succeed" is if the startup company folds within five years or something.
Anyone should be able to be terminated as long as they receive proper severance. Are you from a communist country or scandavia?

Anyone should be able to be terminated as long as they receive proper severance. Are you from a communist country or scandavia?

To be clear in that regard, my current company has a rating period of a semester. If any given employee's performance is unsatisfactory fro two rating periods in a row, s/he can be terminated. A singular fuck-up can't be a basis of termination except if it is clearly a criminal case. That's pretty much the norm for where I live.

These types of threads always leave out the best details.

We all want to know how much dough you make now and how much dough you are asking for. And what you do

To be clear in that regard, my current company has a rating period of a semester. If any given employee's performance is unsatisfactory fro two rating periods in a row, s/he can be terminated. A singular fuck-up can't be a basis of termination except if it is clearly a criminal case. That's pretty much the norm for where I live.
Which is where?

I would just avoid the salary question as long as possible, although that could wind up being considered a waste of time in the end. Just give your basic cliche, bull shit response to the question - depends on the responsibilities/accountabilities of the role etc. Or just turn the question back on them, what is the base/total comp range. Also, depending on where you live, the expectations/what is your salary question can't be asked now

Update - May 14, 2018

I have two job interviews tomorrow. I am still currently in the same job as my OP, Tech Support in an insurance company. One is for another Tech Support job in a startup environment. Another is in Procurement for an online retailer.

Tech Support job seems good enough but I worry about the salary being low. The job ad gives the monthly salary range. Even if I push for the maximum salary according to the ad, they should also have at least half the monthly cash benefits to even meet my current salary. I don't even count the Pension fund that my current job gives (yuge), although the job ad says they offer a Mutual Fund option. Closer drive than my current work, and this job will give me chances to travel abroad.

Procurement job ad didn't even have a salary range. The job must be fairly simple according to the ad, what worries me is that I don't have a formal background in Procurement OR ANY Retail for that matter. But I do have budget handling experience in my admin tasks. Since the company is new, I may or may not be able to ask a bump in salary which I want.

Similar cliffs as OP:

-Low basic pay (w/ recent increase) + excellent benefits + stability + work and environment doesn't match skills/personality.

vs.

Potentially higher pay + unknown benefits + startup environment + I am stoked for the new challenge and learning opportunities.

Dark Horse:
I think I might have a lucky break. I recently applied for a job a former colleague works at. I knew he was there and had previously asked him if there was an opening last year. Although when I applied two weeks ago, I didn't know it was his dept that I was applying to.

He contacted me earlier asking me if I applied and I told him exactly what I did. How do I go forward with this now? I don't want to pressure/beg him to hire me but I would love to get an offer.

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/creative-ways-to-land-a-new-job.3598549/page-3#post-141037917

Back