Joe Rogan's bias or Jimmy Smith's "yes man" attitude

• Thread starter Deleted member 196663
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 196663

The best moments in HBO boxing commentary were when Roy Jones or George Foreman would argue with Jim Lampley or Larry Merchant. There's nothing wrong with strong opinions. But if the commentary booth has just one assertive voice that goes unchecked, then those opinions are bound to end up in a ditch. That's just what humans do. We all need checks and balances on ourselves. We all need other people to keep us honest.

The internet outrage is precisely because no one represented the alternative perspective. Jimmy Smith meekly challenged Joe a couple times, and that was it. I keep saying this, and I'll continue say. You need a fighter in the booth. When Joe is with Dominic Cruz, you will never hear Joe go off the rails. You need that balance in commentary. Jimmy Smith + Joe Rogan is a failed combination.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ll never understand the hate Joe gets. He truly is a fan of the sport and his emotion shows. He says what we are all thinking. Plus the guy can kick someone into next year.

Agree with the 3-man solution.

Jimmy's style seems modeled after Rogan's to me; it's redundant to have them in there together.

Joe-Cruz-DC

Very great trio, or just have Joe and DC

Dc is underrated as a commentator.

I’ll never understand the hate Joe gets. He truly is a fan of the sport and his emotion shows. He says what we are all thinking. Plus the guy can kick someone into next year.

Once in a lifetime

That is not true at all.

agreed. Couldn't be further from the truth.

I used to appreciate Rogan's passion for the sport and his energy but he's such a broken record hype man it's exhausting at this point.

I do enjoy Smith and always have. I also like active fighters that can actually walk us through the techniques and provide insight. Smith is good at that too.

Smith, Bas and Anik would be great. I think Anik knows his role better now and keeps it to under a thousand words a night.

TS is so right about the old HBO boxing team. Those were the days.

Once in a lifetime

Maybe I'm in the minority but I feel for him over this one

Even as a 'hardcore' MMA fan, I agreed with him through gritted teeth

No one thought Holly was 'the one'
And even less Nunes, in that time period

They were known as the one dimensional boring point fighter that was gonna get thrown on her head
And the chick that quit to Cat when the going got tough

We all thought Cyborg would never happen.. what's he supposed to say

The same people bitching and moaning about Rogan being biased also bitched and moaned about Cruz being too abrasive and challenging Joe too much. You just can't win with some people.

Agree with the 3-man solution.

Jimmy's style seems modeled after Rogan's to me; it's redundant to have them in there together.

That's mostly intentional. Jimmy is Joe's replacement IMO. This is just a temporary, transitional phase.

The best moments in HBO boxing commentary were when Roy Jones or George Foreman would argue with Jim Lampley or Larry Merchant. There's nothing wrong with strong opinions. But if the commentary booth has just one assertive voice that goes unchecked, then those opinions are bound to end up in a ditch. That's just what humans do. We all need checks and balances on ourselves. We all need other people to keep us honest.

The internet outrage is precisely because no one represented the alternative perspective. Jimmy Smith meekly challenged Joe a couple times, and that was it. I keep saying this, and I'll continue say. You need a fighter in the booth. When Joe is with Dominic Cruz, you will never hear Joe go off the rails. You need that balance in commentary. Jimmy Smith + Joe Rogan is a failed combination.

jimmy is one of the there is. ufc is way better having him and bellator will regert letting him walk/

The amount of hate Rogan gets, is ridiculous. But since everyone considers themselves to be top MMA experts, I guess it’s unavoidable.

Rogan is so passionate and educated in the game of fighting, I love listening to his insights and emotional outbursts. He tends to give jiu jitsu guys like Maia a bit too much praise, but it’s all in moderation.

Sherdog is and always has been full pseudo experts trashing commentators...

Best trio imo: Rogan - DC - Anik

Joe gets backlash for his shit commentary and you blame Jimmy for not shouting him down? Let's stick with the idea that Joe's commentary is shit because of Joe and nobody else.

Back