John Berardi Vegetarian?

In all fairness John, I've always maintained there are 3 valid reasons to be vegetarian for a male (vegan is difficult unless genetically apt to deal with it).

1) Protest - I personally also hate factory farming, and the excesses of American Culture, the buffets here in Vegas are obscene and so are the waste piles they produce, most of which is bad meat. But the bottom line is we can't tell people HOW to protest.

2) Food allergies - There are people allergic to animal proteins who have monumental difficulties digesting them. For THOSE people, it's much healthier to abide by a vegetarian diet.

3) Personal preference - Saying "I just hate the taste of meat" is a perfectly valid reason that cannot be debated. It's quite reasonable. We cannot tell people what to like or dislike.

Short of that, support for all the other reasons given that are surrounded in mystique and scrutiny are ones I can't endorse. But those three are fine by me.

Well the first thread I've ever created has gone to shit I see. I know I'm just a useless vegan, but I found it interesting and was hoping for more intelligent responses.

Anyway, to bring this back around, what do we all think about his goal of gaining 10lbs of lean mass? Is that even feasible without the use of some serious AAS? I don't care what sort of diet you're on, to gain 10lbs of lean mass in 30 days seems like a bit of a stretch. I know he does make small note of that but still.

I'm sure JB will do it correctly, and I look forward to his results.

Here guys.

Deirdre Imus "The Essential Green You" - Book Review - Green Daily

My wife showed me the other day, Imus's daugher? was on The View and she was promoting her new book (vegetarian). She was talking about how people are making a big mistake about how they eat meats and how bad they are for you. I wanted to kick her in the face so hard.

EDIT:

Also, she was talking about how we are making mistakes on raising our kids on meat, while hers is on vegetarian diet. Again, I wanted to kick her in the face really hard.

Well the first thread I've ever created has gone to shit I see. I know I'm just a useless vegan, but I found it interesting and was hoping for more intelligent responses.

Anyway, to bring this back around, what do we all think about his goal of gaining 10lbs of lean mass? Is that even feasible without the use of some serious AAS? I don't care what sort of diet you're on, to gain 10lbs of lean mass in 30 days seems like a bit of a stretch. I know he does make small note of that but still.

I'm sure JB will do it correctly, and I look forward to his results.

This is a good thread noise. lol It contains all the best elements of D&S. Good info, decent debate, and the fraternal razzing.

10lbs in 30 days is ludicrous to ask, unless the caloric intake is sufficiently high, the lifting is sufficiently heavy, and the rest periods are significant. This is some 80's Rocky montage style training JB is going to have to do for this.

In all fairness John, I've always maintained there are 3 valid reasons to be vegetarian for a male (vegan is difficult unless genetically apt to deal with it).

1) Protest - I personally also hate factory farming, and the excesses of American Culture, the buffets here in Vegas are obscene and so are the waste piles they produce, most of which is bad meat. But the bottom line is we can't tell people HOW to protest.

2) Food allergies - There are people allergic to animal proteins who have monumental difficulties digesting them. For THOSE people, it's much healthier to abide by a vegetarian diet.

3) Personal preference - Saying "I just hate the taste of meat" is a perfectly valid reason that cannot be debated. It's quite reasonable. We cannot tell people what to like or dislike.

Short of that, support for all the other reasons given that are surrounded in mystique and scrutiny are ones I can't endorse. But those three are fine by me.

I hate greens powder. What do you think of that?

This is a good thread noise. lol It contains all the best elements of D&S. Good info, decent debate, and the fraternal razzing.

10lbs in 30 days is ludicrous to ask, unless the caloric intake is sufficiently high, the lifting is sufficiently heavy, and the rest periods are significant. This is some 80's Rocky montage style training JB is going to have to do for this.

See...couldve been here, lol!

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f15/sherdog-d-s-debate-series-895371/

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought so. From his menu, he'll be getting a good amount of calories, but I can't imagine enough to put on 10lbs of 'lean' mass. Lean being the key word of course. We all know 3500 calories = 1lb, so it seems extremely hard. Hopefully he can put on maybe 5. It's definitely easier to lose than gain.

I can see those points, although #2 has gotta be pretty rare (no pun intended). #3, although valid, I would blame on a misguided vegetarian somewhere who influenced the person's palate. I would say that there's better ways to protest factory farms and buffets than just up and not eating meat altogether, such as eating free-range meat instead and boycotting the buffets. But as you said, we can't tell people how to protest.

How could you possibly boycott the buffet at the Wynn? That's morally objectionable.

I'm just saying that it's in your best interest not to fuck with him.

Indeed.

Front view:

billycorganjr_855_18652368_0_0_7001.jpg

Back view:

bortimus.jpg

This is a good thread, Noise, and I was pretty sure after I read Berardi's page, I'd find it posted here after I logged in. I just didn't think it would have the other added....stuff. But no matter.

10lbs in 30 days is a lot to ask regardless of the diet. Obviously, caloric intake is key, and Berardi knows this. It's an interesting sales pitch he's pushing for PN v3. He'll more than likely gain 10lbs, because at 5.5% BF, all he has to do is eat a shitload of carbs (easily done, vegetarian diet or not), cut any excess HIIT or cardio or whatever he's doing, and lift heavy. He'll probably pack MAYBE 2-3lbs of LBM and 7-8lbs fat.

At any rate, it'll be interesting to follow his progress. I'm sure it'll be open acess in hopes of luring in customers for PN v3

Seems I've dragged your bipolar profanic mind into D&S. Blanket apology to the unknowning, and for the regulars, enjoy the show.

Do you think you could coax him into the stand up forum (or the Heavies) for just like 10 minutes?

This is a good thread, Noise, and I was pretty sure after I read Berardi's page, I'd find it posted here after I logged in. I just didn't think it would have the other added....stuff. But no matter.

10lbs in 30 days is a lot to ask regardless of the diet. Obviously, caloric intake is key, and Berardi knows this. It's an interesting sales pitch he's pushing for PN v3. He'll more than likely gain 10lbs, because at 5.5% BF, all he has to do is eat a shitload of carbs (easily done, vegetarian diet or not), cut any excess HIIT or cardio or whatever he's doing, and lift heavy. He'll probably pack MAYBE 2-3lbs of LBM and 7-8lbs fat.

At any rate, it'll be interesting to follow his progress. I'm sure it'll be open acess in hopes of luring in customers for PN v3
Yeah, I'm hoping it's open to everyone, I'd love to follow it. I probably should just pay and see what I can get from it. 2-3lbs of LBM is definitely more along the lines of what I was thinking. 10lbs over all, sure - I don't see that being a problem.

I should pick up the book just for the fact that I am a nerd and appreciate nice design. Though - it sounds like I could adapt a lot of the recipes to a vegan version. Just found out the ol' lady is knocked up, so the funds are going to be an issue. I'll save the pennies.

Thanks for attempting to keep the thread alive and positive/intelligent.

We all know 3500 calories = 1lb, so it seems extremely hard. Hopefully he can put on maybe 5. It's definitely easier to lose than gain.

It doesn't work that way. 3,500 calories is roughly one pound of fat. Muscle has only around 750 calories or so of stored energy. That doesn't mean that it only takes 750 calories to make a pound of muscle though... the caloric expenditure to build additional muscle is quite massive and I don't believe anyone really knows the true amount due to having a shit ton of variables. Nonetheless, Berardi is doing nothing more than stirring up media attention with that statement. 10lbs in a month, sure. 10lbs of lean muscle... no fucking way in hell. A total newb would be hard pressed to gain that much in one month (without drugs). Berardi has been lifting and training consistently for YEARS. He's well into an advanced stage of training (unless he's been training like a total moron, whom I doubt). Being an advanced lifter he'd be fucking lucky to put on a true 2lbs of actual muscle a month, regardless of diet.

EDIT: Damn this thread is moving fast! A whole page filled up in the time it took me to type this!

Just found out the ol' lady is knocked up, so the funds are going to be an issue. I'll save the pennies.

Holy shit congrats, Noise!!! That awesome news. Save your pennies on not buying PN v3 and buy some vegan EPA/DHA and vitamin D2 for momma, 'cause it's all about the little one now. :icon_chee

I'm surprised how many people consider this a "hostile" thread. This thread is actually pretty tame compared to most of the leaf-eater vs. meat-eater threads around here.

That's awesome. I wish he could've left out the egg and the honey and tried to do a true vegetarian meal plan, but beggars can't be choosers. I wish him good luck and I hope he shows some good results so people will start taking us seriously.

Most vegetarians are lacto-ovo, so I don't think it's a big deal.

Back