John Wayne Parr's Rebuttal To a Josh Barnett

I thought the way Barnett got all defensive immediately bringing it up on jre reeked of butthurt.

Given how Josh says it's okay if he does the throat cutting gesture, but not ok when Browne does it, and Josh's past cheating, I am inclined to believe JWP. Also his excuses for losing to Browne that night, that he wasn't into it and wasn't motivated. Then why the heck does he not retire then if he's not motivated? He's getting paid a lot of money in one of MMA's premier orgs and he's not motivated? Did Browne's elbows knock some of brain cells into the next life already?

Yeah, didn't he say he wasnt motivated for the fight and some time later he said he'll retire once he's no longer motivated?

Contradictions all over the place.

oh yea, Barnett is in the UFC

I agree not very controversial but close enough that I don't think Josh claiming he won is insane, less so that say Machida claiming he deserved the first win over Shogun.

Honestly I really can't be bothered to spend ages looking up both guys responses and I really don't know anything about JWP besides watching a few of his kickboxing matches. Again my feeling is why bring this up? JWP essentially saying "I kicked Josh Barnett's ass in a private sparing season and stole his confidence so badly he left the gym and lost a match" sounds more like boasting.

I tend to believe these kinds of stories more when theres a good reason for them to come out, like Lombard calling out Barnett which Paulson didn't use as a chance to just claim "Josh kicked his ass and stole his soul".

The reality is Barnett remains probably the most hated guy on these boards mainly because he's always had a ropey relationship with Zuffa, the UFC fanboy doesn't forget and his doesn't forgive an affront to the brand.

To be quite honest, you should save your opinions if you haven't seen them tell the stories.

To be fair to both sides... For JWP he says this was his first time in an mma gym. An experience like that would be profound and likely adrenalin filled, which is why he can remember nearly every detail from that day 9 years later.

For Josh this would have been just one of 1000s of training session. He remembers the kick he landed but other details may be skewed. Human memories are surprisingly poor and we all are full of skewed and false memories from are past. It is possible that Josh may believe his version of events as real but is does not remember it accurately because it was just another day at the office 9 years ago.

Given how Josh says it's okay if he does the throat cutting gesture, but not ok when Browne does it
He was upset because Browne doesn't normally use the gesture, but chose to use it after his win against Barnett which to Barnett felt like an insult and rightfully so. It's not that Browne made a victory gesture after winning, it's the fact that he specifically used the same gesture Barnett uses.

It's entirely possible JWP remembers all of that happening as clear as day when it actually didn't. I think he (like Paulsen) might be a bit schizophrenic. You guys heard about him getting attacked by ghosts, right?

Yes but another guy confirmed it as well. Honestly I don't know who to believe here.

JWP is out of line, even if he is telling the truth, which none of us know.

You aren't supposed to tell stories about winning in the gym, true or not. Especially not on a gigantically popular podcast.

You aren't supposed to tell stories about winning in the gym, true or not. Especially not on a gigantically popular podcast.

the weirdest thing to me is this "i listened to both, and i believe so-and-so" attitude that fans have.

i'm reminded of people who *know* what really happened b/c they listed to Serial...twice.

TS, it's ok to report both sides and accept that you don't know and never will.

I can agree with this. But informing a gym member they are the reason a high profile fighter lost is kind of bizarre and out of line as well. And it does in a way make the story worth telling.

Both accounts of this are kind've goofy.

For one, JWP reminds me of a puppy, in terms of his personality and demeanor. He's obviously a trained killer but he just strikes me as almost naive. He doesn't seem like a skilled liar or someone capable of spinning things. When JWP was talking about being visited by ghosts and whatnot in Thailand on The JRE, I believe he believes that's what he saw. Barnett on the other hand is very articulate and intelligent - politician like.

But that said, it makes no sense for Paulsen to call JWP up, even if Josh did blame him. Maybe Paulsen called him up as a joke and was like, "Yeah, I think you getting the better of Josh got in his head which made him lose," etc. as a joke, busting JWP's chops a little playfully, and maybe JWP took it as actual blame. But I just don't know why they'd feel the need to call and say that considering it sounds like Paulsen didn't even have the closest relationship to JWP. Why bother even calling?

Maybe JWP has some issues with false memories, being that he gets hit in the head a lot? The guy fervently believes in supernatural things, and I bet he'd pass a lie detector on that too. Lie detectors don't detect the truth, only if you believe one thing to be true and are saying another. If JWP believes the false memory of that call, he'd pass a polygraph.

Edit - So reading through the thread now I believe the events in the gym happened, that JWP bested Barnett. I think the crux of the issue is the phone call. Maybe Paulsen is a schizo and placed the call, or maybe JWP is a schizo and the call never happened.

Last edited:

Petey it was 9 freaking years ago, I think the statute of limitations on gym stories expired.

JWP is a legend. Doesn't mean he can't lie, but in a game of he said she said, I am taking him over Barnett.

ETA: Not because he is a legend, because Barnett is a cheat and JWP is not known for cheating or lying.

Don't always agree with you mate, but I'm with you on this

He was upset because Browne doesn't normally use the gesture, but chose to use it after his win against Barnett which to Barnett felt like an insult and rightfully so. It's not that Browne made a victory gesture after winning, it's the fact that he specifically used the same gesture Barnett uses.

And Josh using it whenever he defeats someone isn't insulting? He got smashed, and someone rubbed it in and gave a taste of his own medicine so now he's pissed?

sparring is not training? weird

Obviously it is, but it's one frigging day. The previous poster made it seem like he had a full fight camp, read and understand the context of the convo before you interject.

I'm sure the truth is somewhere in the middle, as is the case with lots of situations like this.

Back