John Wayne Parr's Rebuttal To a Josh Barnett

It's very hard to believe what Barnett says at this point.

Both men gave an account, and Parr's is the only one that seems to make sense.

As mentioned in one of the posts under the video, if Barnett has a hard time with giving Browne credit when Browne publicly whooped him in front of millions, it's easy to see him having trouble with giving Parr credit.

it makes sense that joshs head trainer would let josh spar someone who he apparently knew nothing about, right before a fight? and that they just sparred once?

JWP is much more believable. Barnett's ego is completely out of control. He thinks he is the smartest guy in the universe, is an excuse bag, and the sorest loser in the world. He's incredibly immature, and a known cheater, which entails being a liar. The way he spoke about Browne and then said that everyone should be getting shots to fight him, how he pretended as if he 'won' the second Nog fight (which is absolutely ridiculous)... or how Mirko got an easy route to the finals of the tournament by fighting Wanderlei rather than Nog... it's just horseshit.

So, yep, no reason to believe Barnett here.

also if josh is sparring hector for 30 mins nonstop because hector stepped it up... hes def not getting shity and throwing his gear and leaving the gym because jwp lands a few combos.

Here's my question: why would Erik Paulsen call JWP to tell him that? That's the weirdest part of all of it.

JWP is much more believable. Barnett's ego is completely out of control. He thinks he is the smartest guy in the universe, is an excuse bag, and the sorest loser in the world. He's incredibly immature, and a known cheater, which entails being a liar. The way he spoke about Browne and then said that everyone should be getting shots to fight him, how he pretended as if he 'won' the second Nog fight (which is absolutely ridiculous)... or how Mirko got an easy route to the finals of the tournament by fighting Wanderlei rather than Nog... it's just horseshit.

So, yep, no reason to believe Barnett here.

I don't think claiming he won the second Nog fight is "ridiculous", granted I don't agree with him but it was a pretty close fight and Barnett did arguably have the more dangerous moments. Besides the steroids which few will admit its all pretty standard stuff isn't it? minor excuses for defeats that pretty much every fighter bar the odd guy like Shogun comes up with.

Can't be bothered to look indepth at this latest fued but it just seems like the kind of thing that people believe whichever side there existing biases want them to. Honestly my opinion generally is I tend to believe the person who brings up this kind of thing less because it generally shouldn't be brought up at all in public and hints at someone with an ax to grind.

It's entirely possible JWP remembers all of that happening as clear as day when it actually didn't. I think he (like Paulsen) might be a bit schizophrenic. You guys heard about him getting attacked by ghosts, right?

Last edited:
I truly don't believe that Josh would leave a gym because he wasn't getting the upper hand in a sparring session.

Even when listening to Rogan's Podcast I couldn't side with Barnett. Guy comes across as an arrogant jackass that has the answer for everything. He was building himself up at every opportunity at the expense of anyone else.

JWP seems pretty genuine and it would be a strange thing to lie about.

I don't think claiming he won the second Nog fight is "ridiculous", granted I don't agree with him but it was a pretty close fight and Barnett did arguably have the more dangerous moments. Besides the steroids which few will admit its all pretty standard stuff isn't it? minor excuses for defeats that pretty much every fighter bar the odd guy like Shogun comes up with.

Can't be bothered to look indepth at this latest fued but it just seems like the kind of thing that people believe whichever side there existing biases want them to. Honestly my opinion generally is I tend to believe the person who brings up this kind of thing less because it generally shouldn't be brought up at all in public and hints at someone with an ax to grind.

I'm afraid I don't agree here. I like Barnett, and have no liking for JWP. I just find the latter's story far more believable, considering what we know about both. I think it's unfair to judge considering you haven't heard them say the stories.

As per the second fight with Nog, there's just no way that fight was won by Barnett. He was ahead in the first, endurance round. But he wilted quickly and Nog took over from the second round onwards. By the third, Nog was laying a kickboxing clinic on Barnett, who was gassed. Not a controversial fight.

If you look at this objectively, one guy is a longtime liar, while the other tells you with a straight face a ghost sat on his chest and that he later heard footsteps when no one was around...

So one thing to consider is Parr constantly bringing up being famous, and a feud like this with a famous MMA veteran ups his name value, and he does have a promotion needing of attention. While Barnett likes to deny steroid use and really isn't that close to Fedor as he claimed for years. Likes to tell stories. Now Paulsen can't say Josh lied, they have history.

Take your pick. I'm siding with Parr since he comes off as more genuine, and my bullshit detector goes off when Josh opens his mouth. Parr admitting he got dropped with the kick Josh mentioned leads me to believe all of that happened, but since Barnett came off worse, he's handpicking events that favor him, while Parr tells the whole story. Having seen Barnett's fights for a decade now, JWP would absolutely clown him in striking despite the weight difference. Scoring with something big in between getting picked apart sounds about right.

Last edited:
As a Greek, even though he kicked Zambidis' ass a while back, I have huge respect for him, and I don't think that he's a guy that likes to show off by telling lies. He shows off by kicking ass

With that being said, I believe what JWP said

I'm with JWP on this one.

I know John personally and he is as genuine as they come. I know the truth.

Having seem them both fight, in straight striking despite the weight difference JWP would toy with Barnett amd if he decided to put a beating on him he could. JWP is one of the most genuine guys I've seen in fighting, barnett comes off like a douche. I would believe JWPs version of events.

Josh Barnett still denies ever using roids. He's an egotistical asshole and a cheater. Don't know how anyone can like the guy.

I'm afraid I don't agree here. I like Barnett, and have no liking for JWP. I just find the latter's story far more believable, considering what we know about both. I think it's unfair to judge considering you haven't heard them say the stories.

As per the second fight with Nog, there's just no way that fight was won by Barnett. He was ahead in the first, endurance round. But he wilted quickly and Nog took over from the second round onwards. By the third, Nog was laying a kickboxing clinic on Barnett, who was gassed. Not a controversial fight.

I agree not very controversial but close enough that I don't think Josh claiming he won is insane, less so that say Machida claiming he deserved the first win over Shogun.

Honestly I really can't be bothered to spend ages looking up both guys responses and I really don't know anything about JWP besides watching a few of his kickboxing matches. Again my feeling is why bring this up? JWP essentially saying "I kicked Josh Barnett's ass in a private sparing season and stole his confidence so badly he left the gym and lost a match" sounds more like boasting.

I tend to believe these kinds of stories more when theres a good reason for them to come out, like Lombard calling out Barnett which Paulson didn't use as a chance to just claim "Josh kicked his ass and stole his soul".

The reality is Barnett remains probably the most hated guy on these boards mainly because he's always had a ropey relationship with Zuffa, the UFC fanboy doesn't forget and his doesn't forgive an affront to the brand.

Back