Media Jon Jones CONFIRMS Retirement After Stipe Fight "Im Gonna Beat The Old Man And Ride Off Into Sunset"

I never understood why fighters belittle their opponents ability or say they are past their prime.

This idea that jones won’t fight people he “doesn’t have an advantage over” is comical. He literally cleared out generations of the LHW division and still there’s a sect of “fans” that are upset. He moved up to HW and walked through Gane (who at the time Sherdog was literally split on who would win pre fight). A decade and a half of dominance aren’t enough for all of you.

Although your right he doesn’t fight those he doesn’t have an advantage over… his advantage is he’s the greatest MMA fighter of all time.

A decade of dominance wasn't enough to get Aldo his rematch tbf.

A decade of dominance wasn't enough to get Aldo his rematch tbf.
That was a fucking travesty as far as I’m concerned. Although if I’m the UFC (and looking past my fandom while putting my business hat on) I would have done the same thing. They had a billion dollar marketing machine in Conor that they could put a big push behind given his audacious and polarizing personality. From a fiscally responsible standpoint pushing him onto other larger fights than a rematch against the less vocal Brazilian was the correct business move.

With all of that said though Aldo was/is that guy imo. I wish he got his run back, that loss crushed me as a fan of his.

That was a fucking travesty as far as I’m concerned. Although if I’m the UFC (and looking past my fandom while putting my business hat on) I would have done the same thing. They had a billion dollar marketing machine in Conor that they could put a big push behind given his audacious and polarizing personality. From a fiscally responsible standpoint pushing him onto other larger fights than a rematch against the less vocal Brazilian was the correct business move.

With all of that said though Aldo was/is that guy imo. I wish he got his run back, that loss crushed me as a fan of his.

Yeah but now we have rematches coming out of our asses, for fighters who...lets face it aren't half of what Aldo was.

When Dana said this would never be like boxing...he lied again sir.

What a greedy pig. He beats up some old man and gets paid enough that he can bury his snout in a pile of yay for the rest of his swine life.
Jon will not fare well after his career is over. He'll only continue to add on to his criminal record imo. The dude is yet to hit rock bottom, it's coming though.

Yeah but now we have rematches coming out of our asses, for fighters who...lets face it aren't half of what Aldo was.

When Dana said this would never be like boxing...he lied again sir.
I feel like being a UFC fan (which I wholeheartedly am) is like being in an abusive relationship. He keeps lying to us and I want to believe him so bad I just continue to stick around year after year lol.

Not really surprising… jones is 36 years old now too, that’s around when most athletes are starting to think about wrapping up their careers. He’s going get a retirement check and head off to Cancun

Just get the fight over with, it's uninteresting on the basis that Stipe is a crippled old man, but the sooner we can get the undisputed title on the winner of Aspinall/Blaydes 2 the better.

Props to Jon for finally having fights at HW, and winning the belt, but his "run" there was nowhere near as compelling as many of us once envisioned. Getting the belt off a guy who never held it and then defending against a soon to be 42 yo coming off a KO loss and 3 years of inactivity? Disappointing wouldn't even come close to describing it.

It's similar to GSP beating Bisping then vacating. The accomplishment looks much nicer on paper but doesn't hold up to scrutiny. Not disputing what either men did at the weight classes they ruled over, but them moving up didn't really add much to their legacy imo.

Khabib didnt' fight in the UFC in 2011, he started in 2012, and from 2012-2020, Jones has 12 fights and Khabib has 13, and Khabib was out with a knee injury for 2 full year stretch during that time.
Khabib has less wins over former champions than Poatan achieved in 2 years. 29-0 doesn't mean much if 20 of your opponents are middling journeyman at best and utter cans at worst.

Khabib has less wins over former champions than Poatan achieved in 2 years. 29-0 doesn't mean much if 20 of your opponents are middling journeyman at best and utter cans at worst.
Pereira got choked out by a can and KO'd by a favorable matchup.

iu

this went without saying. jones knows better than anyone at this point who he can and can't beat.

Pereira got choked out by a can and KO'd by a favorable matchup.

iu
Then moved up in weight and won another belt, just like he did in a previous combat sport, something Khabib never had the balls to do.
When a superfight with GSP was floated, it fell through because Khabib demanded GSP fight him at 155 lmao. "Anyone brother King Kong brother (if he can make 155...brother)"
<Fedor23>
In a decade, Poatan will be a far more fondly remembered fighter by most everyone outside of the most diehard dagestani nuthuggers for doing more in a more exciting fashion and not dipping out in his prime.

I feel like being a UC fan (which I wholeheartedly am) is like being in an abusive relationship. He keeps lying to us and I want to believe him so bad I just continue to stick around year after year lol.
Had some misguided hope Dana wasn't BS'n for dragging out, for months, a best event in history "300 Main Event".

Just admit you're scared spitless of Aspinall and surrender the title, Jon. At least that would get you a modicum of respect.

Back