Jon Jones reveals how stupid Sherdog has become (long read)

I haven't stayed current with this topic/ goings-on so can't contribute in any meaningful way. BUT I'd love it if they could put this fight together. Been a drought of late.

Jon cheated to become champion.

In multiple ways.

This isnt disputed, isnt controversial.

The better question is: Why would you still want a guy who cheats around?

Fair enough. I just want people to understand that it's a dangerous road, don't let the new fans (of which there are a lot) think it's normal for us to support the company when cutting a fighter for demanding more pay. That's concerning. They're gonna use public opinion, media and the fanbase as leverage in negotiations if we make it a habit of siding with the corporation instead of the sport.

I think UFC would profit from a Jones vs Ngannou superfight and could easily up his contract a bit for that fight. But that's just me personally. Don't think Jones asked for something astronomically, he never has, never in the past. Always got like 500k paydays at best.
We don't know what Jones asked for, and we don't know what Dana offered. Until they come out and flat out say it, it's all speculation.

I'm one of the biggest Dana haters here, he's a complete piece of shit. But I really don't think Jones is in a position of power for negotiating given his record with the UFC.

Jones has probably cost the UFC tons of money with his actions. If he was a good person and wasn't just as shitty of a human as Dana is, i'd agree and back him up. But like I already said, everything he's done lately is not helping his situation, and karma is biting him in the ass right now.

Criminal activities, lackluster fights, positive PED tests... they're not helping him right now. I honestly don't blame the UFC for wanting to give him anything when all he does is fuck things up when people give him a break.

I'm sure Dana would give him a bit more money, but I doubt he's going to give him millions more. And i'm sure Jones is asking for millions, not thousands.

I don't recall people clamoring for Jones vs Ngannou. It's not as big of a superfight as you think it is. It's fun for us MMA fans, but it's not some epic showdown. It's Jones seeing something he thinks he can exploit in Ngannou, just like GSP did vs Bisping.

*company is losing out on gate money and all around ppv sales due to the fail ass ESPN deal*
Jon: “I want a raise!”

what a douche

Last edited:
People seriously want the undefeated LHW GOAT to leave the UFC? Everywhere I hear people saying his departure would actually benefit the "sport" - what they mean by that is the "UFC"s and Dana White's immediate interest.
I personally just can't believe people would like to have Jones cut from the UFC. If you do, then explain to me why - because I don't get it, and no offense, I seriously just don't get it and I want you to explain your point of view, but here is mine:

This forum is now siding with Dana and the multi-billion dollar corporation instead of a fighter?
I get it, it's Jon Jones, the guy is a douchebag.
But Dana's claim that he asked for 30 million and upwards is ridiculous and obviously false, and Jon wanted to give us the fight vs Ngannou, a fight that his haters and fans alike have craved for. He simply wanted some more money for a move up to HW.
Dana even called him the GOAT recently, and still he can't give the undefeated youngest champ in UFC history a pay bump to make a superfight happen? Dana can't make big fights happen anymore, or never could, apparently.

Now I am by no means a Jon Jones fan, many of you know, but what Sherdog displays right now is simply stupid. A lot of people are blinded by their hate towards Jon.
Jon is a fuckup, but a valuable addition to the UFC and MMA, and we should always side with the fighter, because it sets a precedent.
Sherdog never wanted the corporation to win over the single fighter which equals winning over the sport itself. The UFC studies the fans reaction to stuff like this - they'd have extra leverage to cut even champions or big draws into taking sub-par contracts simply by being able to portray the fighter a certain (bad) way through promotion and in the media and through shills on forums and counting on the fact that the fanbase will be stupid enough to side with the corporation, the brand and Dana White instead of the fighter - just like the MMA bubble does right now with Jon Jones - because yeah, he may be a douchebag and a roider and you might not like him, but him asking for more money to move up to fight Ngannou is in itself not a wrong thing, absolutely not.

It's not him running over a pregnant woman, it's the undefeated LHW champ asking for more money to fight Francis fucking Ngannou.
I'm sorry bro but I could only skim through the OP right now. Personally I would not want Jon to leave the UFC.

BUT for those who think it would be a positive are probably people who are against the UFC as an organization monopolizing the sport and therefore being able to pay the fighters "peanuts" and control the narrative of who's the best.

That's the only thing I could think of.

It would be awesome if a fighter had the opportunity simultaneously collect belts from multiple organizations. The only clause should be that they are required to defend in their contract. Obviously the shit won't happen but I'm just saying.

Then there are those who just hate Jon but that's silly because if you want the UFC to be legit as an org than they need to have the proven guy whose been on top P4P for years.

Jones is a joke with a giant asterisk beside his name. Maybe even two or three asterisks.

Imagine defending this clown on any level at this point. Threw his career and legend down the tube long ago.....some of you still have delusions that it still exists.

Dana is notorious at blatantly lying to the press so a fighter is bullied into a contract for lkess than what they are worth.
People bashing Jon and siding with Dana are either Zuffa ZOmbies or Jon haters.

If this is a superfight, he should get paid as such.
If UFC can't pay, it is fine. Don't accept and explain that now they can't afford. I don't think anyone would blame the UFC.

But Dana has too big an ego to say that. So he bashes the fighter, twist facts and people STILL Believe his crap like this is the first time they ever heard Dana talking.....

2v3m81.jpg
The problem is that you think Jon Jones is telling the truth... He's the type of guy that would say "I didn't ask for 30mil, I asked for 29mil".

I don't think either are lying about the numbers. I don't think Jones wants the fight and I think he's asking for 15-20mil. This was a ploy do deflect blame to someone else other than himself on why he's not going to HW.

This isn't a superfight either

Respect to Dana for keeping the show going but slightly disappointing UFC doesn't appear dedicated to make some potentially exciting fights including Jones.

The UFC doesn't give a shit about fighters. I think Lorenzo said it himself at one point, something along the lines of, people do not watch to see the fighters, people watch to watch the UFC. Essentially something like that. And not giving a shit about employees, while maintaining quality of a certain product and thus driving up sales, is how companies get big.

You think billion dollar companies become billion dollar companies because they give employees the pay they want or deserve? Yeah right.

UFC fighters will never get on the level of boxers, baskteball players, etc. because the UFC is not structured the same way. The UFC has tremendous power over their fighters/athletes.

Jones leaving the UFC will not be bad for the UFC, because they can manufacture stars. They create the narratives, create favorable match ups for the guys they feel can make them money, they can cut fighters who have decent records just because the certain fighter doesn't sell. Why do you think they try to smash Michelle Waterson down our throats? She's an Asian mom, and it would be marketing wet dream to have a little Asian mom-champ. Why do you think Conor gets title shots quicker than most people? Might Mouse literally gets traded to another organization? So on and so forth. Its just a business, not a sport. Calling the UFC's brand of MMA a sport is just an illusion. See CM Punk. See James Toney who had never been in an MMA fight. See Mickey Gall for gods sake whose first professional fight was in the UFC, the premier MMA production. See BJ Penn who shouldn't even be allowed to fight again. See all the eyepokes that never get penalized. See the whole Brock Lesnar v. Mark Hunt situation with the PEDS. So on and so forth. If there was a Sherbro that could make Dana 3 million pay per view buys, best believe he'd be on a card, even with zero experience. Believe that.

It's successful business 101: have control of everything.

Last edited:
You are 100% correct.

I dislike Jones. But anyone that is a real fan of fights shouldn’t want him gone.

he shouldn't leave the UFC. him asking for more money to fight Ngannou isn't unreasonable. the unreasonable part is always the number. he put them in a tough spot because of the pandemic. it's not a good time to be asking for a raise when you're one of the highest paid athletes on the roster already.

he should have defended his title 1-2 times this year, wait to see how this pandemic plays out and then call out Ngannou for a money fight early next year when hopefully everything is more settled. i don't know what he expects? he has zero momentum, a majority of the fans thought he lost to Reyes and even Santos and has looked like shit since the 2nd DC fight. nobody is clamoring for him to go up, in fact, people want him to STAY at LHW and rematch Reyes/Santos.

People seriously want the undefeated LHW GOAT to leave the UFC? Everywhere I hear people saying his departure would actually benefit the "sport" - what they mean by that is the "UFC"s and Dana White's immediate interest.
I personally just can't believe people would like to have Jones cut from the UFC. If you do, then explain to me why - because I don't get it, and no offense, I seriously just don't get it and I want you to explain your point of view, but here is mine:

This forum is now siding with Dana and the multi-billion dollar corporation instead of a fighter?
I get it, it's Jon Jones, the guy is a douchebag.
But Dana's claim that he asked for 30 million and upwards is ridiculous and obviously false, and Jon wanted to give us the fight vs Ngannou, a fight that his haters and fans alike have craved for. He simply wanted some more money for a move up to HW.
Dana even called him the GOAT recently, and still he can't give the undefeated youngest champ in UFC history a pay bump to make a superfight happen? Dana can't make big fights happen anymore, or never could, apparently.

Now I am by no means a Jon Jones fan, many of you know, but what Sherdog displays right now is simply stupid. A lot of people are blinded by their hate towards Jon.
Jon is a fuckup, but a valuable addition to the UFC and MMA, and we should always side with the fighter, because it sets a precedent.
Sherdog never wanted the corporation to win over the single fighter which equals winning over the sport itself. The UFC studies the fans reaction to stuff like this - they'd have extra leverage to cut even champions or big draws into taking sub-par contracts simply by being able to portray the fighter a certain (bad) way through promotion and in the media and through shills on forums and counting on the fact that the fanbase will be stupid enough to side with the corporation, the brand and Dana White instead of the fighter - just like the MMA bubble does right now with Jon Jones - because yeah, he may be a douchebag and a roider and you might not like him, but him asking for more money to move up to fight Ngannou is in itself not a wrong thing, absolutely not.

It's not him running over a pregnant woman, it's the undefeated LHW champ asking for more money to fight Francis fucking Ngannou.

The simple fact is if you love Jon Jones you should want him to keep fighting.

Another simple fact is if you hate Jon Jones you should want him to keep fighting.

If Jones retires now, every LHW champ for decades to come would be discredited because it wouldn't be believed they would beat Jones.

Don't believe me? Look at the WW division -
*Hendricks didn't beat GSP, and he wasn't a draw.
*Lawler didn't beat GSP, and he wasn't a draw.
*Woodley didn't beat GSP, and he wasn't a draw.
*Usman didn't beat GSP, and he isn't a draw. (Though I'd say he'd have the highest probability to of the four WW champs mentioned.)

Dana better start paying Jones, or he's going to have a big problem trying to sell a LHW champion to the mainstream PPV-buying public, especially one that Jones has already beat.

We didn’t need him or some long winded post to tell us that.

tl/dr

@VVarhead why do you care about a multi billion dollar company making money? I’ve been asking this over and over, I just don’t get it. Do people apply this to other sports? I’m a Manchester United fan, do I give the slightest fuck who owns us and whether they make money? Hell fucking no. It isn’t my money. I watch the fighters who risk their health in the cage because I’m an MMA fan. I don’t care about business, not a business fan. I don’t think it’s anything to do with Jones, see this shit happen all the time to many fighters and it’s baffling. Admittedly it’s stronger with Jones.

Did you read my post?
Why do you care about a multi-billion dollar company making money? Why do you care if the billioniare shareholders get more money shoved down their throat?
It's not about how big of a draw Jon is. He's the youngest champ in UFC history, he has countless title-defenses, he's also a fuck-up, yeah, but he wants to give us a fight that hardcores and the UFC themselves have been asking for, so why not pay up?

Why? I thought this forum was about MMA, not money.
Conor happened

The problem is that you think Jon Jones is telling the truth... He's the type of guy that would say "I didn't ask for 30mil, I asked for 29mil".

I don't think either are lying about the numbers. I don't think Jones wants the fight and I think he's asking for 15-20mil. This was a ploy do deflect blame to someone else other than himself on why he's not going to HW.

This isn't a superfight either
SOrry, the problem is you are letting your hate cloud your "thoughts" (let us call that).
If Jon asked for 15-20 M. where are the texts Dana claims to have? he was asked point blank about it, and gave a 20 minutes answer instead of showing the texts.

Jon did say he asked for more money, but he said he never gave out a number. He makes 5 M (on average) per fight. So obviously he'd expect more. And this is a fucking common thing! Heck, they asked Ngannou and he said he would only fight Jon for more money as well. So why are you not fucking bashing Francis as well?

Dana lied. Like he did a fucking million times already and you let your hate for Jon take over.
You act like Dana is a trust-worthy guy, especially when it is about money!!!

And yet you "don't even think Jon want the fight" ...

Your problems is that you are not thinking at all!

Why would Jon get into such a public argument with Dana for a fight he does not want???

If anything, when Dana went public, he could have simply said: Well, I tried, but they don't want to pay me for what I think it is worth! Not my fault this fight won't happen!
Instead, he is maintaining he wants that fight, just not at his current contract's price... which as I said, it is a fucking non-brainer that he as Francis get paid more!!! And if now it is impossible due to no-gate situation, then just bump it up for later.

Back