News Jon Jones vs. Cyril Gane. UFC 285. March, 4th (Jones Confirms in Video)

Who Wins?

• Total voters
Jones was waiting on a guy he matches up well against, or at least thinks he matches up well against. He probably figures he can take Gane down and win that way. But Jones really hasn't shown very good wrestling in years.

I am not sure about that. I always imagined jones blowing out francis bad knee

Maybe. Hard to say. The thing about Jones' straight kicks is he has to stand in place to throw them. Historically, fighters who could circle and had the length to fight him in boxing range (Gus, Reyes) or who could collapse the pocket without getting instantly taken down (Santos, DC) had their positive moments because of that. Against Ngannou who has more than enough length, Jones would be vulnerable to getting blasted.

Gane doesn't seem like a guy who likes to step inside unless he knows he's nearly 100% safe. Even when he gets angles, it's straight punches and kicks unless his opponent backs off and covers up, then he might chase. We also know wrestling isn't exactly his strong point.

Jones and how his skills translate to HW + his age/wear and tear are unknowns. Assuming he's moved up in weight well and his skills are sharp, I think he has a problematic skillset for Gane.

Just my opinion. I'm excited for the fight. I just think Ngannou or Stipe were tougher match ups.

Gane got wrestle fooked by a gimped Ngannou. We haven't seen much flat out wrestling flexed by Jones in almost a decade. But wrestling skill never leaves and grappling is adjacent and that's what Jones has heavily relied on to get him through as his size advantage and other advantages began to diminish at lhw. So Ciryl still gets mirked.

Can’t be real

a bunch of fat 50 years old forum posters said Jon will never fight at heavyweight

yeah it only took 10 yrs... and at this point i'd wait until he's actually in the cage before acting like it's legitimate.

Gane doesn't have the boxing Gus has, nor does he have the same TDD.

Both Gane and Gus are skilled strikers and roughly the same height as Jones. Jones wrestling is bad now so he doesn't takedown Gane

Both Gane and Gus are skilled strikers and roughly the same height as Jones. Jones wrestling is bad now so he doesn't takedown Gane

I didn't say Gane wasn't a skilled striker.

I said his style is similar to Jones. Meaning he's going to fight within Jones' comfort zone on the feet.

Who knows how his wrestling is off a 3 year layoff, up a weight class, against a guy who got ragdolled by a HW who isn't known for wrestling or ground game. Jones doesn't need to take him down, Jones has bullied at beat up many a fighter in the clinch. Will he with Gane? Who knows, a lot of question marks with Jones given this is his first fight at HW at an advanced age and with 3 years off.

I didn't say Gane wasn't a skilled striker.

I said his style is similar to Jones. Meaning he's going to fight within Jones' comfort zone on the feet.

Who knows how his wrestling is off a 3 year layoff, up a weight class, against a guy who got ragdolled by a HW who isn't known for wrestling or ground game. Jones doesn't need to take him down, Jones has bullied at beat up many a fighter in the clinch. Will he with Gane? Who knows, a lot of question marks with Jones given this is his first fight at HW at an advanced age and with 3 years off.

We seen his wrestling fail vs Anthony Smith and Reyes. Didn't attempt a TD on santos

Gane beats Jones by UD. If Gus can hang with jones on the feet..
imagine Gane

Jones can't beat equally sized fighters standing up

Last edited:
I'm a doubter, not a hater, but I still won't believe it til the bell rings.

Love to see it, though, definitely can't miss if it happens. A++

Not trying to be a contrarian but I predict this fight will entirely be a stand up fight with a lot of clinches.

Jon is not explosive enough to take Gane down and I am in no way saying Ngannou is a better wrestler than Jon. Jon is going to have a hard time getting his hands on Gane and even when he does, Gane might prove to be too strong for Jon to take or hold down.

On the other side of the equation, I don't see Gane outstriking Jones. His jabs are quick and his footwork is second to none but his attacks are quite predictable to a point where it seems like they are choreographed. He will have his moments because I think those jabs will land a few times but I don't think he will be able to capitalize on it even when Jon's back is against the fence. Just overall, I think he will have a hard time landing on Jon. I predict that Jon will constantly try to grab a hold of him and for once Jon will have the advantage in striking when they are in the clinch position because Gane's hands are not very quick. You can't expect Gane to dirty box like Cormier. In this aspect, I think a guy like Aspinall or Miocic will have more success landing on Jon.

It all comes down to cardio. I have listed what in my opinion are Gane's flaws but why is he able to outstrike every single one of his opponents? It's his unparalleled cardio. It's unparalled because he can retain his quickness and pressure for five rounds all while carrying that mass. I think his cardio might actually be better than Jon's considering that Jon doesn't waste any energy. This fight is interesting because Gane is not the type to get tired of attacking Jon while moving backwards.

We seen his wrestling fail vs Anthony Smith and Reyes. Didn't attempt a TD on santos

Gane beats Jones by UD

Wouldn't be the first time a wrestler moves back to wrestling skills later in their career.

Jones by UD.

If Gane is enough of a dog I may throw some money on him. By the time this happens, Jones will have been out of the octagon for 3 years. He's also older and fighting at a heavier weight than he ever has. I know Jones doesn't have a lot of time left on the clock, but seems like the smart thing would be to match him with someone beatable to help him acclimate to the weight (and bigger opponents).

They gotta put Blaydes/Pavlovich on the card for when Jones pulls out.
That would be ideal or at least one of them as a back-up. There are no HW fights on the card other than the ME so no shuffling fights 2-3 days out.

USADA had a part to play

Probably. But Jones' pace is what suffered more than anything.

Gane has literally never faced a wrestler in his career. Ngannou took him down with techniques football players use in their first wrestling practice, and controlled him on top with technique you'd see from a white belt in BJJ practice. In other words, Ngannou purely brute strengthed his way to a victory against Ngannou. He didn't even need to be explosive.

I'll put more faith in fading wrestling skills vs a guy who completely folded the first time he got put on his back.

Probably. But Jones' pace is what suffered more than anything.

Gane has literally never faced a wrestler in his career. Ngannou took him down with techniques football players use in their first wrestling practice, and controlled him on top with technique you'd see from a white belt in BJJ practice. In other words, Ngannou purely brute strengthed his way to a victory against Ngannou. He didn't even need to be explosive.

I'll put more faith in fading wrestling skills vs a guy who completely folded the first time he got put on his back.

True but neither Santos, Reyes and Smith are d1 caliber

This fight is gonna be a kick boxing point match

a bunch of fat 50 years old forum posters said Jon will never fight at heavyweight
Im 30 and he’s been saying it for 7-8 years at least so I mean, I’ll believe it when I see it.

If Gane is enough of a dog I may throw some money on him. By the time this happens, Jones will have been out of the octagon for 3 years. He's also older and fighting at a heavier weight than he ever has. I know Jones doesn't have a lot of time left on the clock, but seems like the smart thing would be to match him with someone beatable to help him acclimate to the weight (and bigger opponents).
Gane is the favorite

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeavyChag
Back