Jon Jones

I honestly don’t understand why the UFC hasn’t said to Jon Jones “If you dont fight contender Sergei Pavlovich for the title, we are kicking you out of the UFC.” I’m tired of him ducking a worthy contender and instead trying to beat up on a 40 year old Stipe.

If the UFC "kicked Jones out" he could sign for another promotion. While Jones has agreed to terms that will lock him up for the rest of his career he has repeatdely expressed displeasure at this reality despite accepting it and if kicked out would absolutley fight elsehwhere giving Bellator or ONE the credibility of having MMAs GOAT. These promotions would absolutley pay him more to fight even less challenging opponents than UFC's HW division offers. Regardless he's currently set to retire after another fight. The UFC has really no leverage or at least no further leverage.

This all assumes the UFC and the posters responding to your thread agrees with your core premise that Jones should fight Pav next which I certainly don't. I'm just saying.

1. Jones is the undisputed greatest MMA fighter of all-time, he should be allowed to go out however he wants

2. Jones agreed to return and save the UFC after everything with Francis fell through. He had all the leverage, what was the UFC going to do?

3. Jones was talking about fighting Stipe even prior to beating Gane, it was clearly the plan that he had mapped out and the UFC was on board

4. Part of the problem now is that Stipe knows this and has some leverage, too. I expect the fight will happen and the UFC will pay him, though.
upload_2023-6-15_20-39-4.png

Another thread on this? Jesus. Well, 1. Jones is champ and has a say in who he fights. 2. Jones vs Stipe is a bigger and more profitable fight than Jones vs. Pav. 3. Pav has no name value outside of this forum, hell, I bet you couldn't even tell me who his last 3 fights were without using the internet. 4. Stipe may be old but he is the most successful UFC HW of all time and should get some say in the matter. 5. You only want Jones to fight Pav bc you think he can beat Jon but if that fight were to happen and Jon smokes Pav like he would everyone else, you're all just gonna bitch and say he ducked Stipe or someone else. Stop bitching and just enjoy the fights.

You must really be some kind of stupid if you think the UFC would kick Jon out of the company. If he can hit a pregnant woman in a hit and run do you really think they would cut him for not wanting to fight someone no one even knows? Jon is one of the biggest ppv draws the sport has at the moment. Why do you want to see Jon cut anyway? Love him, hate him, call him a cheater or whatever you want the dude is by far the greatest talent the sport has ever seen. Stop crying on your keyboard and go do something with yourself.
<PlusJuan>

Post so nice you should read it twice.

I honestly don’t understand why the UFC hasn’t said to Jon Jones “If you dont fight contender Sergei Pavlovich for the title, we are kicking you out of the UFC.” I’m tired of him ducking a worthy contender and instead trying to beat up on a 40 year old Stipe.
Your tired of him ducking worthy contenders? He never ducked anyone at LHW, and he's only been a HW for a few months! UFC wants Miocic because it's the money fight, and if your Jones, who wouldn't want to fight the guy that is often considered the best UFC HW ever. I hear he may retire real soon, so why not go out fighting a UFC legend. Sure it's not the toughest fight, but the best for your legacy and pocketbook.

Who says they want him to?

Fighting Stipe is either now or never, he's fucking old. He can fight these other guys anytime.

Lol at the thought of the UFC forcing Jones or any name fighter to do anything, specially with the threat of kicking him out, stripping of his title at best is what they would do, and its been like 2 months max since he won the belt...too early for that.

<36>

Pavlovich isn't even the #1 contender and he DEFINITELY doesn't bring any PPV buys to the table. No one knows who TF he is or gives a shit about the guy. Jones wouldn't waste time with that untested hype. Besides, pavlovich got his ass WHOOPED by Overeem.

Don't worry, I'll save some copium for you for when Jon either fights Stipe or when Pav has to fight a few more times before he gets a title shot, or looses to Jon, which ever of the three happens first.
Pav is ranked #2; is the only fighter in the top 5, including Stipe (3-2 while fighting only two opponents throughout 3 years, with one of them now retired, and one no longer fighting for UFC, then following that up with 2 years of inactivity), that is coming off a win; and is on a 6 fight win streak all resulting in first round ko/tko stoppages. Half of those wins were against top 5 (at the time) opponents, while the betting favorite in all 7 of his UFC fights, including his debut against a #6 Overeem in the co-main event.

Why is anyone more deserving of a title fight than Pav? How can you possibly justify your claim that the #2 ranked guy is a few more fights away from a title shot, especially when the only guy ranked above him just lost to the current champ?

Furthermore, how in the fuck is Stipe even ranked #3 when he hasn't fought in over 2 years?

Last edited:
The UFC should just offer Jon Jones a fight against the video game designer Jon Jones, who has the Twitter handle JonJones and frequently gets Twitter hate every time the MMA fighter Jon Jones does something controversial.
The caveat would be that the MMA fighter Jon Jones would have to fight game designer Jon Jones while on his knees and with one hand behind his back the entire time.

jon-jones-dc.gif

jon-jones-ufc.gif

<36>

Pavlovich isn't even the #1 contender and he DEFINITELY doesn't bring any PPV buys to the table. No one knows who TF he is or gives a shit about the guy. Jones wouldn't waste time with that untested hype. Besides, pavlovich got his ass WHOOPED by Overeem.

Then what is the point of a ranking system within something supposedly defined as a sport? Also, he was doing well against Overeem, considering the circumstances. Overeem had over 70 fights worth of pro experience in combat sports, while Pavlovich had 12 pro fights going into his UFC debut, in a co-main event, against a #6 ranked Alistair fucking Overeem.

All things considered, Pav was still the favorite going into that fight.

It's understandable, and generally acceptable, for "Joe Fighter" to have UFC jitters and lose their debut in the opening fight on the prelims, but the guy that loses his debut against a #6 Overeem in a co-main is obviously trash.

<YeahOKJen>

Stipe bout to get that 10 Million payday and then leave his gloves in the octagon win or lose.

I think it’s a win / win for both Jon and Stipe if they can get Dana to pay out and get behind a huge promo push for a bout of this magnitude.

Only concern is Stipe, who will be 41 and coming of a devastating ko and years of ring rust. Hope he’s in the gym hard and pushing for this bout end of 2023.

Then what is the point of a ranking system within something supposedly defined as a sport? Also, he was doing well against Overeem, considering the circumstances. Overeem had over 70 fights worth of pro experience in combat sports, while Pavlovich had 12 pro fights going into his UFC debut, in a co-main event, against a #6 ranked Alistair fucking Overeem.

All things considered, Pav was still the favorite going into that fight.

It's understandable, and generally acceptable, for "Joe Fighter" to have UFC jitters and lose their debut in the opening fight on the prelims, but the guy that loses his debut against a #6 Overeem in a co-main is obviously trash.

<YeahOKJen>

What does the ranking system have to do with it?

We honestly have no idea the situation. If there is a hang up with Stipe or what. Pavlovich will be 2nd choice if Stipe for some reason can't get it together after a couple years. I feel like Jones will steamroll the division right now and it's up to his opponents and the UFC to figure it out. With the bigger names the UFC can't just book them with unmarketable fights, it has to be something that makes everyone money to headline.

Not even that hard to unterstand TS. Just try a little...

What does the ranking system have to do with it?
Obviously nothing, that's the problem. It's a popularity contest, so why are there rankings? Rhetorical question, by the way.

Take the rankings out of it, since they don't matter anyway, and there's still not one single fighter in the heavyweight division that should be fighting Jones for the title before Pavlovich. Name one.

Stipe because he can sell more PPVs than Pav? What percentage are you being paid per sale that you give a damn about PPV sales? Man, the UFC machine has trained you well.

Obviously nothing, that's the problem. It's a popularity contest, so why are there rankings? Rhetorical question, by the way.

Take the rankings out of it, since they don't matter anyway, and there's still not one single fighter in the heavyweight division that should be fighting Jones for the title before Pavlovich. Name one.

Stipe because he can sell more PPVs than Pav? What percentage are you being paid per sale that you give a damn about PPV sales? Man, the UFC machine has trained you well.

Well, the number 1 contender should get a title shot before the number 2 contender, if you're going strictly by rankings.

Screenshot 2023-05-03 at 5.57.57 PM.png

Back