Jones was boxing the ears off Gane before the takedown

AndrewGolota48

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Landed a left hook and a huge right hand. Part of why Gane was so easy to take down, control, and finish could be that he was a bit woozy from the strikes. Remember, he's not using to getting hit in the head basically at all other than one time from Tuivasa. It probably also messed with him psychologically that he was getting smoked in the area he thought he would have the clear advantage.

Jones had a good read on Gane, Gane relies on footwork and range similar to a lot of MMA fighters for defense...if you can force him to exchange he doesn't move his head well and gets flustered...I remember him running away from a decrepit JDS when he got on the inside vs Gane. Jones also looked longer and faster than Gane on the night but 20 seconds on the feet isn't really enough data to pool anything together definitive.

Jones was a lot more agressive than his usual self. He simply had no respect for Gane skillset and it was apparent from the opening seconds of the fight

Prime Jones was a pretty aggressive guy. Granted he hasn't shown that in a while, maybe the last time he did was against DC. And he popped.

Are UFC letting guys juicing freely and slowly and silently phasing out strict USADA testing?

Jon did something very smart which I was not expecting.

He made the fight a little wild. Used the Cobra Kai "best defense is more offense" approach.

Also, was that the smaller octagon?
Looked like it to me, but maybe those dudes were just that huge, but smaller cage would favor Jon big time.

As I did expect, Jon had a plan.
Fighting cyril gane in a tactical kickboxing match would be a bad idea, but a wild slugfest, short as it may have been, was a great way to force some awkward exchanges to get Gane off balance.

He clearly studied Gane and realized that pressure is the way to get to him. If he had come out with his usual LHW striking gameplan (pick away from distance) he probably would have had problems once Gane figured out his range. Gane is a bit too experienced to effectively come with a new game plan like Jones did. He does what he does well and tries to win with it. Just a bad matchup for Gane. A super strong fighter with submission skills is a nightmare for him.

Landed a left hook and a huge right hand. Part of why Gane was so easy to take down, control, and finish could be that he was a bit woozy from the strikes. Remember, he's not using to getting hit in the head basically at all other than one time from Tuivasa. It probably also messed with him psychologically that he was getting smoked in the area he thought he would have the clear advantage.

I don’t think he was woozy. I think he was a little tentative and was taking his time to find the range…..time he didn’t have because he’s an inept grappler.

He clearly studied Gane and realized that pressure is the way to get to him. If he had come out with his usual LHW striking gameplan (pick away from distance) he probably would have had problems once Gane figured out his range. Gane is a bit too experienced to effectively come with a new game plan like Jones did. He does what he does well and tries to win with it. Just a bad matchup for Gane. A super strong fighter with submission skills is a nightmare for him.

Agree. And Gane isn’t a one-punch KO so opponents can *kinda* use whatever gameplay they want. It might not work, but they don’t have to completely rethink their approach the way you do against guys like Khabib, Maia, Francis, etc. who pose one specific form of danger. If the pressure didn’t work and Jones was getting pieced up, he’d have been able to adjust.

It was to little to analyze ,but it suprised me how easily he was landing,did Gane land anything at all?

Agree. And Gane isn’t a one-punch KO so opponents can *kinda* use whatever gameplay they want. It might not work, but they don’t have to completely rethink their approach the way you do against guys like Khabib, Maia, Francis, etc. who pose one specific form of danger. If the pressure didn’t work and Jones was getting pieced up, he’d have been able to adjust.

People also have to factor in Jones reach. That is what allowed him to pressure Gane. Yeah, he was pushing him back; but he was pushing him back because he was finding the range on Gane, not the other way around. And then the takedown was inevitable

Ngannou is completely different: a puncher that is most dangerous off his back foot. a counter puncher. There is good reason Jones avoided him. Just a much more dangerous fight

Want really much time to tell. But Jon had a very smart game plan as usual

You could see Gane keep his distance and normally that's enough for slower HWs where they can't keep up, but Jones was fast enough to close the distance. Gane's strength was his speed, he could get out of there quicker. I would like to see Gane vs Blaydes because I think he would do better against slow lumbering wrestlers than the speed of Jones.

It was to little to analyze ,but it suprised me how easily he was landing,did Gane land anything at all?

Gane almost got KTFO by Tuivasa. Jones and Teddy Atlas both had good takes on Gane. Jones said before the fight the guy has poor head movement. Teddy Atlas called out Gane after the fight for standing in the pocket instead of relying on his footwork. Basically he is not a good pocket fighter. you can get away with it in sports with heavier gloves, not in MMA.

Back