Jose Aldo threatens to sue UFC and Chael Sonnen

It would not shock me at all if Aldo tries to get out of his UFC contract at some point in the next year. Maybe he'll join the class-action with Cung Le, or maybe he'll just try to take his services to Bellator where big fights with guys like Patricio and Strauss and Curran await. Plus he can rep his sponsors there.

Either way, he seems to be pretty tired of the UFC's shit, and if a champion starts stirring the pot, others may follow.

Sure you can. It's called changing your mind and every human being in the world has done it. The problem with UFC 151 is the UFC was blaming Jones for canceling the event. That's a flat out lie the UFC knows they could have kept the event going but they didn't want to lose money. So they canceled the event and then said it was Jones fault. Everyone accepted it because it was Jones and they hate him.

I don't hate Jon at all i'm actually a fan of his fights and what fighters do outside of the ring really doesn't affect me too much. I don't think Jones is fully to blame for the cancellation of 151 but he definitely deserves part of it

It would not shock me at all if Aldo tries to get out of his UFC contract at some point in the next year. Maybe he'll join the class-action with Cung Le, or maybe he'll just try to take his services to Bellator where big fights with guys like Patricio and Strauss and Curran await. Plus he can rep his sponsors there.

Either way, he seems to be pretty tired of the UFC's shit, and if a champion starts stirring the pot, others may follow.

If he does that before he fights McGregor, he'll be forever branded as a coward.

Dana owns 10% of the company, not 90%

You really think the UFC is gonna let Dana cancel the fight out of spite? You think Dana even wants to cancel the fight considering the money it will make?

It wouldn't surprise me if the UFC actually has a talk with Dana and gets a few of their lawyers there to try to explain to this guy why you can't keep publicly stating every thought that pops into your head as fact when it can be considered defamatory. But at minimum, this isn't affecting the fight. That simply makes no sense. The UFC isn't going to fuck itself just to fuck Aldo, who already probably wouldn't care if it all ended tomorrow. They have no leverage over him. The fight will go on and Dana will keep his mouth shut. It is the smart business move.

This guy knows what he's talking about, in this situation Aldo has the leverage over the UFC, it's very rare for a fighter to have leverage over the UFC but Aldo does.

How is Aldo causing this? Aldo is reacting to what other people have done. There cannot be a reaction without an action.

Dana White caused this problem by being a dumb-ass.

It's really not about who caused it. It's about knowing exactly how Dana will react to this.

Aldo knows. Everyone knows.

All the power to Aldo if he wants to go through with this, but if he does that fight with Conor won't likely happen.

I don't lawyer much, but I call BS. Attorneys don't call, they send "cease and desist" letters by certified mail.

This is a fact. I have no idea what's going on, but lawyers don't call and threaten.

I am going to guess the number of streetfights you have been in to be zero

A couple, not many though, I'm a large human being, not swole, but just a big guy, not many people would see me and want to pick a fight. I"m not fat either, just 6'2 around 230, and I've trained a bit of boxing and BJJ, so I could kick the average mans ass.

I liked Aldo very much and still respect him as one of the best fighters ever, but now I would like to see him get rekt by Conor. It would be the best for the sport. Aldo and guys like him are just being destructive. He should work on forming a fighters union if he would really like to change things.

I don't hate Jon at all i'm actually a fan of his fights and what fighters do outside of the ring really doesn't affect me too much. I don't think Jones is fully to blame for the cancellation of 151 but he definitely deserves part of it

He doesn't deserve any blame

Doesn't matter whether he was fighting chael (low competition) or someone legit

There's no requirement in his contact saying he has taken on a replacement on a 2 weeks notice

The ufc took a risk setting up a shit card with only a decent main event (something they've always shitted on boxing for) and when the main event fell their plan backfired and didn't want to lose even more $$ and get bad press for the card so they cancelled it and threw the blame on Jones

Blame Hendo for not disclosing the injury till the last minute

Aldo p4p most rustled.

This has been a crazy hear for the MMA world, perhaps the craziest. It gonna get even crazier I'm sure.

If he does that before he fights McGregor, he'll be forever branded as a coward.

By idiots. I think it's more likely he takes his payday fight with Conor, beats him then leaves the UFC and joins Bellator to end his career making more money and not being slandered by his employer.

This is a fact. I have no idea what's going on, but lawyers don't call and threaten.

You should have left it at that

They most certainty will call if it is still in the informal process. This is basically a heads up. And this isn't like copyright infringement where you would send a cease and desist order. He is letting them know what will happen if it continues. If they take official action, no it won't be done over the phone. But you two, the guy who "don't lawyer much" and you really think lawyers don't use phones to conduct informal business?

Why do people just post shit out of their ass?

Dana owns 10% of the company, not 90%

You really think the UFC is gonna let Dana cancel the fight out of spite? You think Dana even wants to cancel the fight considering the money it will make?

It wouldn't surprise me if the UFC actually has a talk with Dana and gets a few of their lawyers there to try to explain to this guy why you can't keep publicly stating every thought that pops into your head as fact when it can be considered defamatory. But at minimum, this isn't affecting the fight. That simply makes no sense. The UFC isn't going to fuck itself just to fuck Aldo, who already probably wouldn't care if it all ended tomorrow. They have no leverage over him. The fight will go on and Dana will keep his mouth shut. It is the smart business move.

I hope you're right.

It all depends on how personally offended Dana and Lorenzo are over all of this.

How can people be so dumb? This has nothing to do with the fight. Dana was slandering Aldo and he threatened the UFC with a legal action if he did not stop. What was he supposed to do? STFU and let them bash his image?

What the fuck is he doing? (if true).

Well, Dana went to a press conference to say that Aldo showed an old x-ray about a broken rib. That's a very heavy statement to make, and if you are keen to say such BS you better have your bases covered.
Chael... well... I mean, Chael is a twat, a brainless tool with a big mouth who went on on on repeating what Dana said ("parroted", according to the TS) without paying attention. It is evident that Dana is using Chael to keep repeating that BS as a way to put pressure on Aldo
So this lawyer (if this story is truth) is saying that if they insist with the story of the swapped x-ray then they must be prepared to prove that in court.
Maybe Chael/Dana are just inventing this story of the lawyer as a way to retract from the BS about the old/swapped x-ray.

I truly can't see why Aldo needs to accept Dana and Chael talking such BS, really.

You should have left it at that

They most certainty will call if it is still in the informal process. This is basically a heads up. And this isn't like copyright infringement where you would send a cease and desist order. He is letting them know what will happen if it continues. If they take official action, no it won't be done over the phone. But you two, the guy who "don't lawyer much" and you really think lawyers don't use phones to conduct informal business?

Why do people just post shit out of their ass?

Nuthuggers. There are always some fans that idolize someone so much that it prevents them from using logic.

Don't like what someone says about you then say something back. Suing is for wusses.

He doesn't deserve any blame

Doesn't matter whether he was fighting chael (low competition) or someone legit

There's no requirement in his contact saying he has taken on a replacement on a 2 weeks notice

The ufc took a risk setting up a shit card with only a decent main event (something they've always shitted on boxing for) and when the main event fell their plan backfired and didn't want to lose even more $$ and get bad press for the card so they cancelled it and threw the blame on Jones

Blame Hendo for not disclosing the injury till the last minute

He deserves blame too as well as the UFC I never said they didn't, but Like i said don't go out of your way to shit on guys who don't do whatever the UFC tells them to do because they're not company guys and then go do the same thing a few months later

“I think I’m a good company guy. The UFC asks me to do anything and I always do it, and I never tell them no for anything. I’ve had to do more marketing than any other fighter because I say no to absolutely nothing. I don’t think most champs are like that.”

Anyways enough about Jones this thread isn't about him

Back