Media Josh Emmett is getting robbed from his FTW title shot?

It's because fans aren't convinced that he won two of his last three fights

The UFC doesn't give you a title shot just because you win fights, that's just a prerequisite to even be in consideration.

They give you a title shot most frequently because they think you have "star potential" that includes one or multiple of the following:

A) You come from an under-represented region/demographic
B) You have a compelling personality that resonates with fans
C) You have a unique look/fighting style that resonates with fans
D) You've had recent highlight reel finishes or dominations over elite competitors

For Emmett -

A) He's a white guy from Northern California
B) He's a super nice guy but not in a compelling way (i.e. Zombie)
C) He's an Alpha Male wrestle-boxer that looks like an Orc
D) He's had 3 decision wins including a back and forth war with Burgos, a win over Ige (that could've been a loss) and a win over Kattar (that could've been a loss).

Emmett literally has none of the qualifications they want for a champion, he just has a good winning streak that doesn't include any former contender (someone who has fought for the title) i.e. no KZ, no Ortega, no Holloway and no recent finishes or dominant wins (save Burgos).

If Yair beats Ortega he has A/B/C already in his back pocket, so would seem he is in line next if he wins. If he loses then it kind of by default pushes Emmett to the front of the line, since they have to keep the challenger conveyer belt moving (kind of like what happened with Cannonier at MW recently).

Honestly I think Yair vs. Volk would be far more interesting/competitive, since Yair is an insanely athletic and technical kicker while Emmett is basically a slower, less diverse and more predictable version of Volk - his only edge would be power and if late-stage Michael Johnson can effectively out-fight you for 14 minutes straight then I'm fairly certain Volk can do it for 25 if needed.

Last edited:
Beating Burgos and Ige via decision isn't gonna get him a title shot. The Kattar win is a solid win, but as you said, it was a split and contested decision. He needs to get a convincing top win for people to take him more seriously.
A guy like Darren Till got title shot after a split decision against Wonderboy why should Emmett not get it. It's either him or Arnold Allen

Yair will get the title shot if he beats Ortega. Yair has had the more exciting fights, he’s younger, more marketable, higher ranked. I like Emmett and think he deserves a shot soon, but I’d like to see him vs Allen to have a really strong number one contender

Does anyone really think he has anything for Volkanovski?
Nobody is beating Volk by decision, but someone with a puncher's chance like Emmett could conceivable catch him on the temple or whatever.

Not likely though, Volk -500. Probably balloons up to -800 come fight night.

He can match volk speed , he has way more power . He is one of The few that stands a chance against volk .

I’d be ok if Emmett got next shot ….I’d be ok if he didn’t ‍♂️

Think Bryce is the one to beat him if he can get Volk down, Allen would be a better match than Emmett too imo.
Volk has incredible tdd, IF he is taken Down he pops up fast (very Hard to control). Watch emmet vs mendes.
Allan is also one of The few i think has a shot but i think he might fade in The later rounds

How is he getting robbed?? lol

Sorry but Emmett seems like a nice guy and he is a solid fighter, but he barely ever fights, he doesn't have some incredible win streak either, sure he has won a couple of fights in a row, but its not like he has won 10 in a row against all the best. He needs to fight way more and for people to know him, because he is not exactly active and putting in the work. He is old too.

Nice guy I'm certain of it, but stop this entitled behaviour, you really haven't done anything outstanding for a title shot, he is soooooo inactive. IF he fights much more and against better competition then I'll be more than happy for him to have a title shot.
This. Have no idea how this thread exists or how some people don't see it as unbelievably dramatic. Many would agree that Emmett could/should be on a 2 fight losing streak against mid-tier competition so why is he suddenly so "deserving" of a title shot?

Is this some sort of bizarre sympathy because of his age? I'm sorry but Emmett is in no way, shape, or form getting robbed here. Genuine LOL @ Volk shutting out Max Holloway over 5 rounds and then people think he still needs to beat Josh Freakin Emmett to truly "clean out the division". Should we bring back Jeremy Stephens also as the ultimate test?

Volk vs Charles while Islam vs Dariush happens, let Emmett fight someone else and try to win decisively before a title fight can even be discussed.

Josh Emmett whines too much always crying about bonuses and then about his surgery now this

hMkAbkQ.gif

Volk vs Charles while Islam vs Dariush happens, let Emmett fight someone else and try to win decisively before a title fight can even be discussed.
Is there a top 5 contender that Volk didn't fight?
Yes, infact, 3 contenders: no.3 Emmett, and no.5 Allen, and no.4 Yair if he wins vs Ortega.

Is there a top 5 contender that Oliveira didn't fight?
Yes, no.4 Makhachev.

Both fighters didn't even clean their divisions.

Dana already said he wants to make Dariush vs. Gamrot, so even Dana gave up on Islam vs Dariush, beause its pointless to make a no.1 contender fight when there is no champ. So, no.1 Oliveira needs to fight the next contender or someone else will fight Islam for vacant belt. Volk also says he broke his hand and we don't know how long he will need to recover.

Does anyone really think he has anything for Volkanovski?
I do. There's a reason Volk chose a washed up Korean Zombie over Emmett...and now he's trying to fight Cejudo instead of Emmett (Cejudo is smaller hasn't fought in a decade).

The thing is, Emmett has excellent footwork and can cause a lot of trouble for the Volk.

Seeing him explain why he deserves a title shot actually made me think he doesn’t deserves one lol. His streak he has going on is pretty okay but pretty light, they’re okay wins but nothing I would say deserving of a title shot. You need SOMETHING to push you to a title shot, he just has some okay wins with some close split decisions.

If not him, who?
He is the rightful contender.
Arnold Allen wouldn't be bad either, but he lacks that top 5 win. Maybe make Allen vs Emmett while volk goes for 155 or heals his injury?

Emmett finished no.3 ranked Lamas:

Lamas submitted Charles Oliveira before to get his top 5 ranking in FW:

time: 6:06

Emmett missed weight for the Lamas win (148) and it was in 2017. That's why he had to fight stephens who highlight reeled him back. Emmett was out for a year+ with facial injuries and came back into a new division and started again around that top 10-15 number. Lamas doesn't count anymore but his current run would be good enough if the Kattar win wasn't so close. He will probably get it just like zombie did and the fight will go just like the zombie fight did.

If not him, who?
He is the rightful contender.
Arnold Allen wouldn't be bad either, but he lacks that top 5 win. Maybe make Allen vs Emmett while volk goes for 155 or heals his injury?

Something like this is the way to go. They need to avoid the mistake they made at LW and match some contenders.
And then match the winners and losers of fights to hopefully build the upcoming talent.

Back