Judo one of the most common MMA bases in the world.

migeru29

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I want to kill this myth once and for all. The myth that judo is not effective nor popular base choice for MMA.
Yesterday after class I was talking to a Russian black belt about MMA and he brought a very interesting point. Just like in the U.S a lot of MMA fighters learned wrestling at some point when they were young same applies to Russian fighters, he told me if you check their background a lot of them started in Judo which is a great base. This doesn't mean they all are great grapplers just like there are MMA fighters with wrestling background but horrible MMA grappling. I'm just talking about the base.

I believe this myth started because we only pay atention to popular judokas, specially Olympic gold medalist. Yoshida, Ronda, Akiyama, etc. Which is silly really because thousands od Russian non-popular fighters do have judo background, that's a common kids/teen sport just like wrestling in the U.S

The other reason is that Judo in the U.S sucks and the Japanese influence is strong here. Which I don't understand why, dont get me wrong Japanese judo is beautiful but is really made for them, it works for them very well, Americans are physically bigger like Russians and Europeans so I don't get why they insist to adapt the Japanese soft judo style which turn out to be less effective for MMA as well since it 100% depends on the GI. Just take a look at Karo that's armenian judo - similar to Russian judo which adapted wrestling techniques (similar to sambo).

I would be surprised that (ironically) judo is the most popular MMA base after all since MMA nowdays is huge in Russia and Russian being the biggest country in the world.... Well think about it.

Last edited:
While wrestling is undoubtedly one of the best skill sets to have for MMA - I think one needs to remember that part of its success is down the US system, that spits out cohort after cohort of highly skilled wrestlers in their prime, into the same nation that hosts the majority of the major MMA promotion.

I think a lot of fighters coming from former soviet nations are often billed as having a Sambo background, which likely means they will have been involved in Judo to some degree.

But lets be honest, most people don't know the Russian MMA scene unless the fighter makes it into one of the western promotions. Just like I'm sure there are loads of Brazilian MMA fighters with a BJJ or Judo background that we've simply never heard of.

As a Judoka myself - I'm honestly not concerned with trying to upsell Judo in MMA - I don't think it detracts from the sport if there was never a successful Judoka in MMA, because almost all, especially the top level are focused on the Olympics and not MMA.

While wrestling is undoubtedly one of the best skill sets to have for MMA - I think one needs to remember that part of its success is down the US system, that spits out cohort after cohort of highly skilled wrestlers in their prime, into the same nation that hosts the majority of the major MMA promotion.

I think a lot of fighters coming from former soviet nations are often billed as having a Sambo background, which likely means they will have been involved in Judo to some degree.

But lets be honest, most people don't know the Russian MMA scene unless the fighter makes it into one of the western promotions. Just like I'm sure there are loads of Brazilian MMA fighters with a BJJ or Judo background that we've simply never heard of.

As a Judoka myself - I'm honestly not concerned with trying to upsell Judo in MMA - I don't think it detracts from the sport if there was never a successful Judoka in MMA, because almost all, especially the top level are focused on the Olympics and not MMA.

I'm speaking in general. Just because not many Russians fighters make it to the U.S promotions and viceversa make them a less relevant fighters. I'm just saying that Judo is a very good base and popular (contrary to what wrong notion). I believe is a much better base than Karate. Just like many MMA fighters in the U.S. don't really speak about their wrestling background not many Russian speak about their Judo background this is just taken for granted. Now when the fighters becomes popular then this things come to light like Ronda's Judo but that's it. Sometimes not even that, not many people talks about Khabib's black belt in Judo and Sambo but i bet you anything that if his base was BJJ and he was a well known BJJ blackbelt everybody would be talking about it.

I get your point about top level but I'm talking about overall Judo as a base. I can mention you hundreds of MMA fighters with wrestling background and that doesn't mean wrestling doesn't work for MMA. It's just that Judo is not as a popular in the U.S. and like I mentioned in my first post, for some reason the U.S. has a lot of Japanese Judo influence, they even follow every single tradition. In Europe and Russia is really not like that and the Judo has evolved more.

Many gold medalist in judo have tried luck in mma, truth is, their overreliwnce on the gi makes judo not the most efficient base for mma... wrestling is way superior of mma as an stand up art.

I want to kill this myth once and for all. The myth that judo is not effective nor popular base choice for MMA.
Yesterday after class I was talking to a Russian black belt about MMA and he brought a very interesting point. Just like in the U.S a lot of MMA fighters learned wrestling at some point when they were young same applies to Russian fighters, he told me if you check their background a lot of them started in Judo which is a great base. This doesn't mean they all are great grapplers just like there are MMA fighters with wrestling background but horrible MMA grappling. I'm just talking about the base.

I believe this myth started because we only pay atention to popular judokas, specially Olympic gold medalist. Yoshida, Ronda, Akiyama, etc. Which is silly really because thousands od Russian non-popular fighters do have judo background, that's a common kids/teen sport just like wrestling in the U.S

The other reason is that Judo in the U.S sucks and the Japanese influence is strong here. Which I don't understand why, dont get me wrong Japanese judo is beautiful but is really made for them, it works for them very well, Americans are physically bigger like Russians and Europeans so I don't get why they insist to adapt the Japanese soft judo style which turn out to be less effective for MMA as well since it 100% depends on the GI. Just take a look at Karo that's armenian judo - similar to Russian judo which adapted wrestling techniques (similar to sambo).

I would be surprised that (ironically) judo is the most popular MMA base after all since MMA nowdays is huge in Russia and Russian being the biggest country in the world.... Well think about it.

Nah, the takedown base for MMA is wrestling, even in Russia.

I'm speaking in general. Just because not many Russians fighters make it to the U.S promotions and viceversa make them a less relevant fighters. I'm just saying that Judo is a very good base and popular (contrary to what wrong notion). I believe is a much better base than Karate. Just like many MMA fighters in the U.S. don't really speak about their wrestling background not many Russian speak about their Judo background this is just taken for granted. Now when the fighters becomes popular then this things come to light like Ronda's Judo but that's it. Sometimes not even that, not many people talks about Khabib's black belt in Judo and Sambo but i bet you anything that if his base was BJJ and he was a well known BJJ blackbelt everybody would be talking about it.

I get your point about top level but I'm talking about overall Judo as a base. I can mention you hundreds of MMA fighters with wrestling background and that doesn't mean wrestling doesn't work for MMA. It's just that Judo is not as a popular in the U.S. and like I mentioned in my first post, for some reason the U.S. has a lot of Japanese Judo influence, they even follow every single tradition. In Europe and Russia is really not like that and the Judo has evolved more.

Judo in France is heavily influenced by Japanese judo so I disagree.

Many gold medalist in judo have tried luck in mma, truth is, their overreliwnce on the gi makes judo not the most efficient base for mma... wrestling is way superior of mma as an stand up art.
this i dont see how its even debatable now i train with a kid whos been doing judo since he was 10 whos a pro now at 24 and done karata his whole life his strikings great but he cant really take anyone down and his tdd is horrible for pro mma the up right stance and not dealing with leg attacks most judo guys try to uchimata harai o goshi guys when guys get there hips that can be a good option but shouldnt ever be your only option

There have been alot of high level wrestlers who didn't do very well in MMA either... There are not many examples of top level Judo guys quitting Judo in their prime and focusing exclusively on MMA with a top camp like you see with wrestlers all the time. The ones who did, like IShii have done pretty well. Why is this even being debated anymore?

this i dont see how its even debatable now i train with a kid whos been doing judo since he was 10 whos a pro now at 24 and done karata his whole life his strikings great but he cant really take anyone down and his tdd is horrible for pro mma the up right stance and not dealing with leg attacks most judo guys try to uchimata harai o goshi guys when guys get there hips that can be a good option but shouldnt ever be your only option

Dumb example and needles to say I believe you made that up. He's been doing Judo for 14 years and doesn't know how to attack the legs at all? The leg grab rule has only been in place for a few years now.... What did he do for the other 10 years? Can't take anyone down? He must really suck...

There have been alot of high level wrestlers who didn't do very well in MMA either... There are not many examples of top level Judo guys quitting Judo in their prime and focusing exclusively on MMA with a top camp like you see with wrestlers all the time. The ones who did, like IShii have done pretty well. Why is this even being debated anymore?

im not saying judo sucks, im saying wrestling is way better suited for mma, and while there were many olympic wrestlers not fairing so well in mma, the ammout of wrestlers dominting mma speaks for it self..

im not saying judo sucks, im saying wrestling is way better suited for mma, and while there were many olympic wrestlers not fairing so well in mma, the ammout of wrestlers dominting mma speaks for it self..

amount of AMERICAN wrestlers dominating MMA you mean? Ameriacans are not representative of the whole population. Again in Russia having a Judo base is pretty common.

What's soft a bout Japanese Judo

Please start using abstract thinking, don't take everything literally. But yeah Japanese is really "soft" in contrast to Russian Judo which use a lot more strength, every Judoka know this.

amount of AMERICAN wrestlers dominating MMA you mean? Ameriacans are not representative of the whole population. Again in Russia having a Judo base is pretty common.

Most Russians do judo wrestling and sambo... st least judo and sambo, and the amount of wrestlers that have dominated Mma around the globe is way bigger than judo/sambo guys, combined.

Judo is MMA. End.
Without Judo, there is no 'mma'.

Sub branches of Kodokan Judo:
Modern Judo
BJJ
Sambo

Kano is the guy who introduced the idea of removing dangerous strikes and training full out within a limited rule set, which is the basis of modern mma training.

The GOAT of MMA is a Judo guy.
fedor-and-yoshida.jpg

Yes it needs adapting no gi.
If you do no gi Judo it is a fine alternative to wrestling for MMA with many obvious advantages also.
Dont agree about 'Japanese Judo is soft and for the Japanese'. It is biomechanics and leverage. Do it as efficiently as possible then add power on top.

Last edited:
Judo is MMA. End.
Without Judo, there is no 'mma'.

Sub branches of Kodokan Judo:
Modern Judo
BJJ
Sambo

Kano is the guy who introduced the idra of removing dangerous strikes and training full out within a limited rule set, which is the basis of modern mma training.

The GOAT of mma is a Judo guy.
View attachment 465267

Yes it needs adapting no gi.
If you do no gi Judo it is a fine alternative to wrestling for MMA with many obvious advantages also.
Dont agree about 'Japanese Judo is soft and for the Japanese'. It is biomechanics and leverage. Do it as efficiently as possible then add power on top.

Actually jiu jitsu is Mma, judo is a sub branch of jiu jitsu

Actually jiu jitsu is Mma, judo is a sub branch of jiu jitsu

Actually not.
Judo is a combination of several different Japanese Ju Jutsu styles, with strikes removed and randori added.

Judo is the first time it looked like anything resembling modern mma training. Before that various Ju jutsu school were doing prearranged movements etc but they had some techniques just not trained live.

So Judo is the core of MMA
BJJ is a substyle of Kodokan Judo.

Actually not.
Judo is a combination of several different Japanese Ju Jutsu styles, with strikes removed and randori added.

Judo is the first time it looked like anything resembling modern mma training. Before that various Ju jutsu school were doing prearranged movements etc but had they had some techniques just not trained live.

So Judo is the core of MMA
BJJ is a substyle of Kodokan Judo.

Ju jutsu =Japanese jiu jitsu...

Back