Judo throws against a bent over opponent

Sumi-gaeshi 100%. If you don't know this yet, you can always try for a strong underhook and osoto-gari. I also like kouchi-gari from here too, even if you don't score from it.

The fake pull to the ankle pick is a classic. Only lighter nimble guys seem to be able to pop back up fast enough to hit it though. Sumi gaeshi seems more consistent across weight classes.

Fundamentally I think unless starting the match in top position is advantageous for your gameplan, there's no reason at all to consider takedowns in a BJJ sport context. That's really their only function in a tournament as far as I'm concerned.

It's either double guard pull, one pull/one plays top, or two top guys. Takedowns only matter in the last case. And usually even in that case it's not a matter of actually scoring with them but rather forcing the other top player out of his A game when he has to pull guard.

The easiest way to get on the board seems to be double pull and then immediately come up for an advantage.

The fake pull to the ankle pick is a classic. Only lighter nimble guys seem to be able to pop back up fast enough to hit it though. Sumi gaeshi seems more consistent across weight classes.

Fundamentally I think unless starting the match in top position is advantageous for your gameplan, there's no reason at all to consider takedowns in a BJJ sport context. That's really their only function in a tournament as far as I'm concerned.

It's either double guard pull, one pull/one plays top, or two top guys. Takedowns only matter in the last case. And usually even in that case it's not a matter of actually scoring with them but rather forcing the other top player out of his A game when he has to pull guard.

The easiest way to get on the board seems to be double pull and then immediately come up for an advantage.

For heavier guys you want a snap/TD like cash bill hits in this thread, less of the Mendes type full pull and ankle pick.

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/take-downs-in-bjj-or-lack-of.3773277/page-2

It’s very doable. Are you going to reliably score TD points? Absolutely not, for all the reasons you state. But especially in heavy divisions, or later in a fight, you’ll find some guys who can be hit with TDs because they don’t want to pull.

My first ever comp match was a blue belt match in the pan ams that I won with a trash-tier osoto in the last 30 seconds. It does happen, particularly when guys get tired.

Oh yeah I definitely still see takedowns scored. It's just rather rare. I don't have stats on it, but I'd guess it's <10% of all matches (sampling across all weights) will have a takedown scored at any point. Whereas I'd guess like 90%+ matches will have at least one sweep scored, and probably more than 50% would score a guard pass.

I have a different set of takedowns for opportunities to catch the guy off guard later in the match. De ashi barai works surprisingly well, shooting a double, osoto, sasae, and even uchi mata.

When the guy goes super defensive though, I'm probably not going to score with a quick opportunity. So I just work on dominating grips and trying to force the pull at that point.

What I see in the ultra heavy division where they really don't want to pull is they just run out of bounds when outgripped instead of pulling. Then they get to restart neutral in the center without grips again.

That's when you get the really dull grip fighting matches that end 0-0, maybe one advantage for one guy, but more likely it's just a ref decision.

Back