News Julia Ormond sues CAA

eddymotto

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
British actress Julia Ormond sues well known Hollywood talent agency for - she claims - acting like scumbag enablers of Harvey Weinstein in the 1990's

Ormond claims that she was paying CAA 10% of her income to represent her and in turn they set her up on a play date with somebody that they knew was a serial rapist and then helped to damage her career when she complained.

Cliffs:

• Julie Ormond is a British actress who was a rising star in Hollywood in the mid-90's
  • Ormond claims that she was sexually assaulted by Harvey Weinstein
  • Ormond is now suing her talent agency of that time, CAA, for enabling Weinstein's assault and breaking their fiduciary duty to her
  • Ormond claims that CAA knew that Weinstein was sexual predator because he had assaulted other CAA and non-CAA repped actresses and the CAA agents knew this
  • Ormond claims that when she reported the sexual assault to CAA, they discouraged her from filing a police report (claiming that she would get at most $100,000 and destroy her career in the process) or publicly accuse Weinstein (claiming that he would be able to sue her for libel)
  • Ormond claims that she rejected Weinstein's continued advances at which time Weinstein terminated her contracts with his production company and blacklisted her.
  • Ormond claims that after her complaints, she was demoted to less powerful agents within CAA.
  • In combination, the incident effectively ended her promising Hollywood career

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/...nstein-lawsuit-battery-caa-disney-1235744853/

Some added context:

1. CAA was considered incredibly close with Weinstein in the 90's and early 2000's
2. The CAA agents in Ormond's suit are still at CAA and considered some of the most powerful agents in Hollywood
3. CAA asserts that Ormond's claims are without merit and that they have had their lawyers do an independent investigation and they found no evidence of wrongdoing (surprise - lawyers hired by CAA conclude that CAA did nothing wrong!)

My layperson hunch is that this will be a difficult lawsuit to win.

But it does highlight how monsters like Weinstein required a system of people willing to look the other way in order to do what he did.

Personally, I hope that it gets at least as far as depositions

R.cf9a9881a7fccac61ad0b5873d621e96

She's been in quite a few things, but I know her as the baddie in The Walking Dead: World Beyond.

Wonder if it has anything to do with her being fat, over the hill, and unable to get roles any more.

Not surprising, there were so many enablers in the while Weinstein fiasco!

enablers, those who knew, etc. I can't imagine how many were complicit.

reminds me of Matt Lauer, and how many colleagues and friends of his knew of his pervy ways.

Don't forget that these are the same group that gave Harvey Weinstein a big thank you at Oscars.

On another note, these guys need to get a grip of reality. They're becoming a parody of themselves. LOL

Even QT felt uncomfortable. Leo laughing at QT and trying to hold back. Haha.

I'll conflate them all into one category. If you don't distance yourself from such a person, you're part of the problem in my opinion.

I would argue "distancing yourself" isn't enough.

if you knew of someone incredibly abhorrent, doing foul/illegal things, wouldn't/shouldn't one have the obligation to blow the whistle?

enablers, those who knew, etc. I can't imagine how many were complicit.

reminds me of Matt Lauer, and how many colleagues and friends of his knew of his pervy ways.

indeed

and in Ormond's case she is pointing out that she paid CAA to represent her

I recall that she was paid $3.5m for one movie during her peak. CAA would have been earning around 10% of that

British actress Julia Ormond sues well known Hollywood talent agency for - she claims - acting like scumbag enablers of Harvey Weinstein in the 1990's

Ormond claims that she was paying CAA 10% of her income to represent her and in turn they set her up on a play date with somebody that they knew was a serial rapist and then helped to damage her career when she complained.

Cliffs:

• Julie Ormond is a British actress who was a rising star in Hollywood in the mid-90's
  • Ormond claims that she was sexually assaulted by Harvey Weinstein
  • Ormond is now suing her talent agency of that time, CAA, for enabling Weinstein's assault and breaking their fiduciary duty to her
  • Ormond claims that CAA knew that Weinstein was sexual predator because he had assaulted other CAA and non-CAA repped actresses and the CAA agents knew this
  • Ormond claims that when she reported the sexual assault to CAA, they discouraged her from filing a police report (claiming that she would get at most $100,000 and destroy her career in the process) or publicly accuse Weinstein (claiming that he would be able to sue her for libel)
  • Ormond claims that she rejected Weinstein's continued advances at which time Weinstein terminated her contracts with his production company and blacklisted her.
  • Ormond claims that after her complaints, she was demoted to less powerful agents within CAA.
  • In combination, the incident effectively ended her promising Hollywood career

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/...nstein-lawsuit-battery-caa-disney-1235744853/
If this happened in the 90s why didn't she sue then? Or did find this later about CAA/Weinstein
problems.

She wasn't up for the Megan Fox roles, chucklefuck, she can actually act.

Awwww he's butthurt...sorry sweetie!

I never said she couldn't act. I said she's suing in 2023, at least in part, because her looks have dried up and so have the roles and her bank account.

Last edited:
Wonder if it has anything to do with her being fat, over the hill, and unable to get roles any more.

She's a classically trained actress, she wasn't getting roles because of her looks.

If this happened in the 90s why didn't she sue then? Or did find this later about CAA/Weinstein
problems.

I would think that Weinstein now being a convicted rapist significantly improves her legal position.

btw - she is also suing Weinstein for assault as well as Disney and MiraMax for enabling the assault.

I focused on CAA because it was the part of the story that I found the most unique and interesting

Back