News July 25 Naoya Inoue vs Stephen Fulton

yeah? who? i haven't heard shit.

i mean it's a stupid allegation. it's either allowed, or it isn't. if it is, shut the fuck up. if it isn't, point it out when they're wrapping his hands and be done with it. running his mouth with "i have proof on my phone" conspiracy level bullshit is so fucking stupid i can't even.
Looks like it depends on the commissions if it is or not. Seems to vary. Seems like worth mentioning if even many regulars weren't too sure on this.

again, legal in japan. legal by the commission.

is fulton gonna have an issue with the gloves next?

This is bad news. In Japan they allow "stacking" and also allow it in some states here in the US but not in the UK. It isn't Steph it's his trainer that has such an issue with it. He'll be in the dressing room to watch them wrap Inoue's hands. He said if the tape touches the hands/skin and alternates between tape & gauze in a layered manner (stacking) then the fight is off. I personally think it should be prohibited everywhere but if they allow it in Japan, which they do, then Inoue isn't breaking their rules. Hopefully this is all just to get inside his head. However, I'm not certain that's what is going on here.
If @Kovalev's "Man Bag" says its sus....then the trainer is right to bring it up...However, bad timing lol. They could of worked that out in negotiations lmao

We already know that Inoue's team stacks his wraps (see video below). It was a controversial topic last year and even Russ Anber weighed in on it. It's kind of a gray area as it's allowed in some jurisdictions but is prohibited in others. The Japanese commission allows it.

It's even more interesting when you consider the dude has the touch of death like a comic book character.

the way inoue wraps his hands are perfectly legal by the commission.
it's legal in japan, and also legal in different parts of the USA or the world.

NOW, fulton's trainer is raising an issue 3 days before the fight.
when he knew well in advance how inoue wraps his hands.
when he says he got proof, it's just prefight video footage of inoue getting his hands wrapped.
again it's legal in Japan, and legal by the commission.
fulton is now saying that he's doing it to protect fulton's health. which is completely bullshit.
they're asking inoue to wrap it in a different way.

team inoue's response to fulton.

"don't be naive. laughing..."

fulton is getting SCARED OF THE POWER... it's coming man
We know that it's legal in Japan but it's still a questionable practice otherwise it would be legal everywhere. For example, the Nevada State Athletic Commission allows it but recently they've been contemplating on whether to ban it. The NSAC director recently asked Russ Anber if he thinks it should remain legal. His answer was absolutely not. Anber is a veteran with over 40 years experience wrapping hands. Other trainers have taken issue with "stacking" wraps before. Abel Sanchez did with Canelo when he fought Golovkin. It's a genuine concern.

I do, however, agree that it's quite late in the game to raise the issue now. Fulton's trainer has known about it. Why bring it up now? Possibly just to get inside Inoue's head. Hopefully that's all this is.

Last edited:
We know that it's legal in Japan but it's still a questionable practice otherwise it would be legal everywhere. For example, the Nevada State Athletic Commission allows it but recently they've been contemplating on whether to ban it. The NSAC director recently asked Russ Anber if he thinks it should remain legal. His answer was absolutely not. Anber is a veteran with over 40 years experience wrapping hands. Other trainers have taken issue with "stacking" wraps before. Abel Sanchez did with Canelo when he fought Golovkin. It's a genuine concern. I do, however, agree that it's quite late in the game to raise the issue now. Fulton's trainer has known about it. Why bring it up now? Possibly just to get inside Inoue's head. Hopefully that's all this is.
Agree 100%. Not only is it too late but since its legal in Nevada it's less of a big deal to me now.

Agree 100%. Not only is it too late but since its legal in Nevada it's less of a big deal to me now.
I think it won't be for much longer in Nevada. California and New York don't allow it. That means 2 out of 3 of the biggest commissions here in the States prohibit it. It's also banned in the UK.

We know that it's legal in Japan but it's still a questionable practice otherwise it would be legal everywhere. For example, the Nevada State Athletic Commission allows it but recently they've been contemplating on whether to ban it. The NSAC director recently asked Russ Anber if he thinks it should remain legal. His answer was absolutely not. Anber is a veteran with over 40 years experience wrapping hands. Other trainers have taken issue with "stacking" wraps before. Abel Sanchez did with Canelo when he fought Golovkin. It's a genuine concern.

I do, however, agree that it's quite late in the game to raise the issue now. Fulton's trainer has known about it. Why bring it up now? Possibly just to get inside Inoue's head. Hopefully that's all this is.

it's to try to get into inoue's head, and it's also because fulton's game plan is to win on pts not damage.
and it's probably also to spread doubt on media, so they can make excuses later.

regarding the extra taping.
other than nevada, i think it's legal in many places including texas...

new york is always the least agreeable with anything.
they banned MMA until 2016. they were the last state to allow MMA events.
i wouldn't use NY as the standard for boxing or any martial arts.

it's to try to get into inoue's head, and it's also because fulton's game plan is to win on pts not damage.
and it's probably also to spread doubt on media, so they can make excuses later.

regarding the extra taping.
other than nevada, i think it's legal in many places including texas...

new york is always the least agreeable with anything.
they banned MMA until 2016. they were the last state to allow MMA events.
i wouldn't use NY as the standard for boxing or any martial arts.
The Texas commission is one of the biggest jokes in the US. They've appointed idiots like Laurence Cole as a ref. This isn't MMA. The New York State Athletic Commission has a rich history in the sport of boxing. As I said prior, along with California, they're two of the three biggest state athletic commissions in the US. Nevada is the only major commission here that allows stacking and that could change soon. They've already started gathering expert opinions on whether they should ban it.

The Texas commission is one of the biggest jokes in the US. They've appointed idiots like Laurence Cole as a ref. This isn't MMA. The New York State Athletic Commission has a rich history in the sport of boxing. As I said prior, along with California, they're two of the three biggest state athletic commissions in the US. Nevada is the only major commission here that allows stacking and that could change soon. They've already started gathering expert opinions on whether they should ban it.

i didn't know california recently banned it.
i would imagine every other state other than NY, CA, maybe NJ is still flexible like texas.

Even if Nevada changes its rules in the future it's still been one of the most major places in the world for boxing for a very long time so this isn't some weird thing that almost no one has ever been allowed to do.

If Fulton has a problem with it he can wrap his hands the same or he shouldn't have signed up.

i didn't know california recently banned it.
i would imagine every other state other than NY, CA, maybe NJ is still flexible like texas.
It varies per jurisdiction. Nearly all of Inoue's fights have taken place in jurisdictions that allow it. However, he's also smashed guys in places that don't—he KO'd Rodriguez in Scotland and Nieves in California where it's banned. Obviously Inoue doesn't derive his power from stacked wraps but he does seem to prefer fighting in places that allow the practice.

fulton-inoue-3.jpg

Stitch Duran gave Bob Benett of NSAC the exact opposite answer of the one Russ Amber gave.

He said stacking is totally fine and proved it to Benett by wrapping his hands both ways.

It's not that Nevada neglected the issue it seems. It looks like they decided stacking is ok.

Edit: found the video

Stitch Duran gave Bob Benett the exact opposite answer of the one Russ Amber gave.

He said stacking is totally fine and proved it to Benett by wrapping his hands both ways.

It's not that Nevada neglected the issue it seems. It looks like they decided stacking is ok.
Stitch is entitled to his opinion but he's primarily a cutman. Anber has been wrapping hands since the 80s along with doing cut work. He's also the creator of the Rival gloves brand so he's more than qualified in his opinion. Nevada has always allowed it but recently Bennett contacted Anber and asked for his opinion on the matter. It seems to me that they're contemplating as to whether they should change their policy.

You know what power of Inoue has to be less of a factor in this fight, weightclasses exist for a reason, I’m getting flashbacks to Canelo/Bivol with this one. If Fulton can handle Inoue’s power and use his boxing to limit the work Inoue can even get off, and there’s any truth to Fultons distance management then that can be quite the combination of things. Now add it’s Inoue’s first fight in division and Fultons top dog. Damn

Looks like it depends on the commissions if it is or not. Seems to vary. Seems like worth mentioning if even many regulars weren't too sure on this.
again, what's the problem if it's legal?

i remember abel sanchez complaining in canelo's locker room when they were wrapping his hands that they were stacking. i'm not sure about the result of that, but i think the commissioner told them it was fine.

"they are loading gloves and i have proof on my phone" is not the appropriate way to describe the situation. "they're wrapping hands in a legal way that i disagree with" is more apt, but doesn't give them the chance to clutch at their pearls in indignation. in fact, it's so fucking far off the mark he might as well be saying inoue has horseshoes stitched into the gloves.

It varies per jurisdiction. Nearly all of Inoue's fights have taken place in jurisdictions that allow it. However, he's also smashed guys in places that don't—he KO'd Rodriguez in Scotland and Nieves in California where it's banned. Obviously Inoue doesn't derive his power from stacked wraps but he does seem to prefer fighting in places that allow the practice.
i highly doubt he prefers to fight in japan because they let him wrap his hands like that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
africancelary
Back