News July 25 Naoya Inoue vs Stephen Fulton

The amount of times they mentioned that Fulton just has no power was hilarious to me. tessitore just pulling out that graphic like yeah he can't hit for shit.
Yeah but they're not wrong. Fulton is feather fisted. Even his finishing rate is only 38%. He's able to knock opponents down here and there but that's it. In one of the rounds, I think the 7th, he did land a hard shot on Inoue and he definitely felt it but he was never in any real danger. If Fulton was a bigger puncher it could've spelled disaster because that was a flush KO shot.

I'd be confident that Inoue beats him 10/10. Fulton just doesn't hit hard enough to stop Inoue and he can't outbox or outfight him. That was abundantly clear. He literally beat Fulton everywhere. Not only is Inoue way more skilled he's also a much better athlete.
i still cant believe he put Fulton down with a 1-2 .....with a jab to the body

that just tells you how good his jab is and he was going to the gut jab well all night .....set that fool up

i still cant believe he put Fulton down with a 1-2 .....with a jab to the body

that just tells you how good his jab is and he was going to the gut jab well all night .....set that fool up
It's a classic trap. In this case Inoue used pattern setting with that jab to the body. He was conditioning Fulton for it from the very beginning before going upstairs with the right hand behind it. Inoue made Fulton look like he'd never boxed a day in his life. I knew after the first round that he was screwed.

Just saw the fight. Inoue is amazing - hard to argue against him as P4P #1.

First time watching Fulton. I wasn't as impressed as I expected to be given the hype leading up to the fight. He reminded me of Willie Monroe Jr vs GGG - a basic version of a slick defensive fighter who was overmatched. I saw little head movement. Few feints. Basic punch selection (1-2). I thought Inoue's body jab left him open to a check hook, but all we saw from Fulton was the 1-2.

Is Fulton better than he looked vs Inoue? Was he simply overwhelmed by the moment? Or is Inoue an ATG caliber fighter capable of making excellent boxers look awful?

Last edited:
Yeah Fulton look straight scared made a choice to just try to survive the distance and Noaya still put him away , it's a lot harder to knock out a turtle like Butler that Fulton who took chances.
Yeah when I was watching it live I thought for sure Inoue wasn’t gonna be able to finish him just based on how defensive he was fighting. I’m not sure if he started to take a little more chances and just stand more because he was basically running and getting outclassed so early

As others pointed out, Inoue’s physique was one of the most impressive things. Faster by a country mile, throwing with bad intent at that, but physically looked and fought like the bigger guy, with the much thicker legs. Inoue’s speed and power has to be all stemming from the legs, that delayed swing kind of stuff where the punch is already 3/4s home before his fist has even moved, lol

idk man, that was really impressive and I legitimately felt bad for Fulton. It was as good as decided after 2 rounds. Inoue at that age now where he can put on weight and power checks out at 122. Would like to see him vs one guy who can at least crack an egg first before he moves up, but I think the stage is set for another weight class which seems truly unbelievable considering where it began.

I’d also like to point out that as a defensively/offensively responsible fighter who has dominated everyone his in ring mileage is almost nonexistent, so if he trains we’ll and his mind is healthy he has time to do even more great things in boxing for a while.

Just saw the fight. Inoue is amazing - hard to argue against him as P4P #1.

First time watching Fulton. I wasn't as impressed as I expected to be given the hype leading up to the fight. He reminded me of Willie Monroe Jr vs GGG - a basic version of a slick defensive fighter who was overmatched. I saw little head movement. Few feints. Basic punch selection (1-2). I thought Inoue's body jab left him open to a check hook, but all we saw from Fulton was the 1-2.

Is Fulton better than he looked vs Inoue? Was he simply overwhelmed by the moment? Or is Inoue an ATG caliber fighter capable of making excellent boxers look awful?

I think it's the latter. Inoue never gave him the chance to be in a position to do the things he's good at. Just like how Floyd could make master boxers like Marquez look basic. I wasn't so impressed by Fulton when I was watching his fights to get ready to see this fight but I expected him to give Inoue more trouble. It speaks to how great Inoue is at controlling distance for him to keep Fulton at the end of his jab while making the guy with the longer reach miss. There were a few times Fulton would just walk into range without feinting or throwing and Inoue would just pop him with the jab.

Since Fulton was the top guy at 122, this may be an indicator that the rest of the competition won't be much of challenge for Inoue and he's going to clean out another division before having to move up.

Anyone know Inoue's walk around weight? Ive seen anywhere between 132 and 145 lol

Watched the fight yesterday and although I already knew the result, I managed to avoid details about the fight.

The way Inoue just sonned Fulton was very impressive. Fulton’s gone toe to toe and won wars of attrition in the past (Leo, Figueroa) but he couldn’t even compete with Inoue and he wanted none of his power. Inoue’s power definitely translates up to 122.

Even though Inoue won fair and square and clean - no early stoppage, no hometown decision - did you guys notice that Fulton and his corner seemed salty AF and not one of them went over to congratulate Inoue?

I didn't think very highly of his team before the fight due to the cheating allegations, but the post fight scene makes me think even less of them. I at least thought Fulton himself seemed cool enough, so I was surprised he didn't show any sportsmanship at all - didn't show due respect afterwards to Naoya, and just made some bullshit post on social media about wanting a rematch too.

Makes me glad he got completely and utterly sonned by Inoue.

Back