News July 25 Naoya Inoue vs Stephen Fulton

nothing inoue has done in his career at flyweight, super flyweight and bantamweight suggests he is a better fighter than fulton. those weight classes are notoriously weak because there's not that many grown men who can get down to 115 lbs. i mean, there are rail thin 17 year old girls who weigh more than the flyweight champ.

fulton is better because he competes at a higher division with a deeper talent pool.

inoue is about to discover the difference between paul butler and fulton.

Well…

In Donaire 1 (the most enjoyable fight) he showed that he was able to survive and thrive even in suboptimal conditions, seeing double from a broken orbital bone; in Donaire 2 he showed more than any other fight that he is truly worthy of the moniker "Monster"; and in the Fulton fight he showed his boxing skill, coming up and outboxing the boxer. Honestly, nearly a perfect performance, all but dominating from start to finish, and for the small part he wasn't in complete control, Fulton tagging him in the 7th, he immediately return and punished him and finished him in the next round. All three fights together more or less show a full spectrum of fighter qualities and to the highest degree in power, skill, and will, but then we also have the rest of his carrier, being an unholy terror scoring knock out after knock out in divisions where knock outs are somewhat rare to come by.

He seems to be nearly perfect, possessing power, will, speed, skill, intelligence, and finishing instinct in an absurdly unlikely complete package. The only thing that's worrying me is physical toughness, Donaire having hurt him badly, and I feel that it would be from there his limit would show. But before this fight I believed that 122 would be where he would start looking human; however, now when he not only beat Fulton, and not only dominated him either, but absolutely terrorized him, the sky - in the euphoria of the moment - seems like the limit.

In any case, we're witnessing history being made - and by God, I'm enjoying it.

It makes me wonder if Inoue struggled to get down to the lower weights? He looked pretty damn healthy and sturdy at 122. His freaking legs were bigger than Fulton's. It reminded me of how Pacquiao's had those thick and sturdy legs, being at a lower weight. That is where the power is coming from. And from the looks of Inoue, he can probably get up to 130 and call it a day. I think he'll be just as strong and fast up to 130.

nothing inoue has done in his career at flyweight, super flyweight and bantamweight suggests he is a better fighter than fulton. those weight classes are notoriously weak because there's not that many grown men who can get down to 115 lbs. i mean, there are rail thin 17 year old girls who weigh more than the flyweight champ.

fulton is better because he competes at a higher division with a deeper talent pool.

inoue is about to discover the difference between paul butler and fulton.

The main difference being Butler managed to make it to round 11…

Watched this live last night but didn't post in the thread. Wow, what a performance. Truly special.

I'm actually in Japan at the moment (Kyoto) and looked into getting tickets, but the whole trip over to Tokyo and the tickets themselves would've made for a pricey adventure. But I kind of regret not going, just so in the future I could've said that I got to see this guy in his prime. You live and you learn.

are you a fuckin moron? i just saw the fight. i scored every round for inoue except for one. wtf is your problem? you got a bug up your ass because i was rooting against your hero? grow up, little man. inoue won tonight. just take your w and go in your little corner and be happy.

You scored a round for Fulton?

Just got done re-watching. Impressive how easily he was finding the distance with that jab. Big payoff at the end when he followed it up with the right.

Convinced Inoue takes at least 9/10 from Fulton in 10 head to heads
I'd be confident that Inoue beats him 10/10. Fulton just doesn't hit hard enough to stop Inoue and he can't outbox or outfight him. That was abundantly clear. He literally beat Fulton everywhere. Not only is Inoue way more skilled he's also a much better athlete.

I'd be confident that Inoue beats him 10/10. Fulton just doesn't hit hard enough to stop Inoue and he can't outbox or outfight him. That was abundantly clear. He literally beat Fulton everywhere. Not only is Inoue way more skilled he's also a much better athlete.
The amount of times they mentioned that Fulton just has no power was hilarious to me. tessitore just pulling out that graphic like yeah he can't hit for shit.

Back