Jury acquits bail agent for murdering a guy

Somebody doesn't understand the rights and responsibilities of bail agents. They have to make sure the person they supplied bail for makes it to court and have to bring them in if bail is revoked. As such, they have more rights than police officers to catch their clients. They can enter buildings without a warrant and don't have to knock and announce. Many bail agreements, signed by the person who bail is being provided for, allow any amount of force necessary to be used to restrain or capture a client who doesn't want to return to custody.

Even with that being the case, she should have had more backup (a couple of bigger guys ready to help restrain him). He obviously didn't want to get in a scuffle with her and she clearly didn't want to get physical with him so she just goes for the gun. Like, what was her thinking going into this? "If he starts to resist, I'll just shoot him because I clearly can't stop him if he doesn't want to surrender peacefully."

Being a bounty hunter shouldn't give you free reign to just start shooting people at the first sign of resistance.

well, at least its not the cops getting away with murder this time. here we have a bail agent pretty clearly just murder someone.

Prosecutors Monday released video of a Stillwater bail agent fatally shooting one of her clients last year at her office.

Chasity Dawn Carey was charged with first-degree murder after the shooting. On Friday, Payne County jurors acquitted Carey, 42, of Drumright, in the Aug. 9 shooting.

At trial, Carey testified she shot the client, Brandon James Williams, 38, of Stillwater, in self-defense. She and her 19-year-old son, Justin Henderson, were attempting to take Williams, who was free on bail, back into custody at the time.

(Story continued below...)
Carey testified Williams attempted to grab her gun before fleeing out her office window. She said she beat Williams to the gun and turned to fire just as he was going out the window. She shot Williams in the back.

i am all for the second amendment, but am definitely coming around on us needing major reforms. this woman has no business at all having one. at least not using it in the line of duty. she really needs a new line of work. it was not self defense.

http://m.newsok.com/article/5586793...m&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=NIC-Facebook

That's murder if you ask me.

well, at least its not the cops getting away with murder this time. here we have a bail agent pretty clearly just murder someone.

Prosecutors Monday released video of a Stillwater bail agent fatally shooting one of her clients last year at her office.

Chasity Dawn Carey was charged with first-degree murder after the shooting. On Friday, Payne County jurors acquitted Carey, 42, of Drumright, in the Aug. 9 shooting.

At trial, Carey testified she shot the client, Brandon James Williams, 38, of Stillwater, in self-defense. She and her 19-year-old son, Justin Henderson, were attempting to take Williams, who was free on bail, back into custody at the time.

(Story continued below...)
Carey testified Williams attempted to grab her gun before fleeing out her office window. She said she beat Williams to the gun and turned to fire just as he was going out the window. She shot Williams in the back.

i am all for the second amendment, but am definitely coming around on us needing major reforms. this woman has no business at all having one. at least not using it in the line of duty. she really needs a new line of work. it was not self defense.

http://m.newsok.com/article/5586793...m&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=NIC-Facebook

Murder is unlawful killing. This is lawful killing. Please re-title thread.

That's murder if you ask me.

Not if you ask Websters/

I was told CCDW class you cannot fire on someone running away from you.

I was told CCDW class you cannot fire on someone running away from you.

I taught ccw. And former law enforcement.

Once the threat is over, fleeing or no longer a threat...deadly force is no longer justified. But each case is weighed on its own unique merits, too.

Once the threat is over, fleeing or no longer a threat...deadly force is no longer justified. But each case is weighed on its own unique merits, too.
I was told if they are running away firing on you or someone else you can use lethal force. You just need to be aware the situation.

I was told if they are running away firing on you or someone else you can use lethal force. You just need to be aware the situation.

Yes. They still pose a threat. If you're using deadly force on another's behalf you better be 110% sure of the situation

I learned that if you see the fleeing guy has big, intimidating traps it's still permissible to fire.

Seems a very clear difference in how this is being viewed compared to the mother daughter team who shot that guy who was fleeing after robbing their liquor store.

The liquor store guy had been in the process of committing armed robbery. Come on, son.

Smells like corruption to me. Very clear cut case of 2nd degree murder yet she walks free because they asked for too much.
same thing happened with zimmerman, prosecution went for murder, jury was happy with manslaughter charges but not murder, but since they wanted murder he gets to walk free.

The liquor store guy had been in the process of committing armed robbery. Come on, son.

Had just committed an armed robbery and was leaving. This guy's an escaping criminal who was also shot at while leaving.

Had just committed an armed robbery and was leaving. This guy's an escaping criminal who was also shot at while leaving.

Yeah, the guy in the bail bonds office had just held up the bail bondswoman and her son with a shotgun before trying to flee out the window.

And came back.

I think he only came back after getting shot the first time, though. lol

I was critical of the women's decision to fire on him in that thread, too. But I can still see an ocean of difference between that liquor store shooting and this one in the bail bonds office.

Back