Just had a bad experience rolling with a bigger, stronger guy

Years ago I bit a sweep or something on a purple at my gym. Guy was a NCAA wrestler and had won some GQ open weight divs or something. He went all out , got on top, and Americana kimura ed me. Cranked as hars as he could and injured my rotator cuff
Some people have no control and no respect. I never would roll with thay guy again. Even if they're skilled, a partner shouldn't injure you basically on purpose

Have you guys ever been hurt by a bigger dude doing some strong man thing and over-cranking a sub? I hit a sweep on this dude who is a blue belt like me but bigger and stronger. After the sweep we landed in side control. I was on top and holding position, then I felt him reach over for a Kimura on me and I was thinking I was ok because I had top pressure, side control. and also never had this next experience. He bench pressed all my weight off of him, flipped me over, cranked the sub, popped my shoulder, and now I'm injured.

I've had similar experiences with bigger dudes where if I mount them, they will bench-press me and flip me over. Pure strength. I know how to post properly, or shift my hips etc... to avoid this kind of thing but it still seems to happen when I'm against people with 20+ pounds on me. I've been working on my strength training this year at the gym in hopes that I can counter some of these tactics, however I'm just not very big or strong naturally so it's hard to close that gap. Discouraging af to have side control on a dude only to have my arm ripped off seconds later in training. I've never injured a training partner in 7 years and this guy is getting a bit of a rep for it within his first year at the club.

It sounds like you got too relaxed , and learned a valuable lesson when facing stronger opponents..

It sucks you got hurt, and it does sound like he went after it alittle too hard for a roll session.. Or practice..but you cant relax with stronger guys you gotta be in top form position wise to control them im a smaller jiujitsu guy (5'9 175lbs) as well and whenever im going with a stronger guy i always try and take away one limb from my opponent while maintaining control..this way they cant push or pull there way out using strength..

For your example..in side control i would of made sure my weight was down across the chest and one knee dug in against the armpit of that side of my opponents body and controling two hands on the other arm..no way im Getting kimura or benched he has no arms attacking or under me to lift me..then i wait for buck attempt that most strong guys try and thats when i go knee on belly to mount pass..once in mount i make sure lock my heels tight my opponets hips kinda like hooks and it keeps them from benching me off..and puts you in position for armbar counters if they do try and push straight arm style up..

Hope you get well soon and get right back on the mats and learn from this experience..theres not alot of room for play when facing bigger/stronger guys..

Years ago I bit a sweep or something on a purple at my gym. Guy was a NCAA wrestler and had won some GQ open weight divs or something. He went all out , got on top, and Americana kimura ed me. Cranked as hars as he could and injured my rotator cuff
Some people have no control and no respect. I never would roll with thay guy again. Even if they're skilled, a partner shouldn't injure you basically on purpose

This is clearily a gym culture issue..its sad to see but more and more gyms dont stop guys like this and it hurts the sport ..your coaches should of been watching and intervined or scolding such behaviour..rolling is for practice , for positional control, defense and attack but not at full out or revenge mode.. Its shame you got hurt..hate reading stories like this

Kimuras are very dangerous, they tore right in the joints, I've tore a ligament in the shoulder in my first week of BJJ.

For injury prevention, it's two ways in my opinion. If you lose control of your arm (grip in your gi/belt or grip with the other hand) you prepare to tap.

When you attack, you can yank it until it goes over the rib cage where there's no chance for him to get back a grip and defend. Afterwards you just put pressure slowly until he taps.

You can be explosive in training, but when you have everything, there's no need to finish with explosion. It's the same thing with armbars, kneebars, americanas, guillotines… IMO only chokes that don't crank the neck can be finished with full power. So you fight like crazy to break all the grips and defenses and to take full control of the position, but you calm down to put the final pressure to finish.

Maybe you won't get some taps from stubborn training partners, but at least you won't be the guy injuring everyone.

Yea i agree with this..focus should be on grips and techincal application of attacks and subs..not Full power outside of chokes..a higher belt should know when the technique is in and what is necessary power wise for the tap..going full power shows a lack of experience,skill,maturity and respect for the fellow training partners who are essential to their own training..

This is clearily a gym culture issue..its sad to see but more and more gyms dont stop guys like this and it hurts the sport ..your coaches should of been watching and intervined or scolding such behaviour..rolling is for practice , for positional control, defense and attack but not at full out or revenge mode.. Its shame you got hurt..hate reading stories like this
The gym changed owners and this guy was basically the assistant coach at the time. He also had a lot of medals, so that was prestige for the gym.
I ended up quitting and told the owner that he rolled too hard. I had a blue collar job and thay could have messed up my livelihood .
Some owners are afraid to say anything to their elite students for.dear of driving them away imho. But that makes it hard to keep the doors open when a lot of your regular students quit or never sign up.

Have you guys ever been hurt by a bigger dude doing some strong man thing and over-cranking a sub? I hit a sweep on this dude who is a blue belt like me but bigger and stronger. After the sweep we landed in side control. I was on top and holding position, then I felt him reach over for a Kimura on me and I was thinking I was ok because I had top pressure, side control. and also never had this next experience. He bench pressed all my weight off of him, flipped me over, cranked the sub, popped my shoulder, and now I'm injured.

I've had similar experiences with bigger dudes where if I mount them, they will bench-press me and flip me over. Pure strength. I know how to post properly, or shift my hips etc... to avoid this kind of thing but it still seems to happen when I'm against people with 20+ pounds on me. I've been working on my strength training this year at the gym in hopes that I can counter some of these tactics, however I'm just not very big or strong naturally so it's hard to close that gap. Discouraging af to have side control on a dude only to have my arm ripped off seconds later in training. I've never injured a training partner in 7 years and this guy is getting a bit of a rep for it within his first year at the club.

You should explore changing the way you hold side control, especially on bigger guys. I very rarely hold a traditional side control against anyone, and I very rarely get reversed.

I sprawl in side control (keeping my knees off the ground and my hips back), so that I have the force of gravity plus my whole weight working for me. One hand goes behind the neck gripping the collar and my other had controls the hip or leg (to keep them from turning into me) with my head down pressing against their body and my toes digging into the mat. Here, I am mobile. From here I can easily transition to KOB, NS, or whatever.

As a small person, I never want my to be static in this position, and I never, ever want my weight distributed too much over my opponent (which lead to reversals).

You should explore changing the way you hold side control, especially on bigger guys. I very rarely hold a traditional side control against anyone, and I very rarely get reversed.

I sprawl in side control (keeping my knees off the ground and my hips back), so that I have the force of gravity plus my whole weight working for me. One hand goes behind the neck gripping the collar and my other had controls the hip or leg (to keep them from turning into me) with my head down pressing against their body and my toes digging into the mat. Here, I am mobile. From here I can easily transition to KOB, NS, or whatever.

As a small person, I never want my to be static in this position, and I never, ever want my weight distributed too much over my opponent (which lead to reversals).

I like this, would work well in GI, how about no GI? ..would you wrap up the head like a guillotine or more of a scarf hold position or arm triangle position to achieve the same thing?

I like this, would work well in GI, how about no GI? ..would you wrap up the head like a guillotine or more of a scarf hold position or arm triangle position to achieve the same thing?

I use the same concept in no gi, however it’s WAY more effective in the gi with grips.

That grip behind the collar/head in gi effectively keeps them from turning into you to get a shrimp going. In no gi, that same arm can go behind the head/neck but without the grip.

Given my size, I prefer kob or n/s over side control in no gi depending on size of my opponent.

Maybe, I’ll make a technique vid one of these days.

I use the same concept in no gi, however it’s WAY more effective in the gi with grips.

That grip behind the collar/head in gi effectively keeps them from turning into you to get a shrimp going. In no gi, that same arm can go behind the head/neck but without the grip.

Given my size, I prefer kob or n/s over side control in no gi depending on size of my opponent.

Maybe, I’ll make a technique vid one of these days.

I actually prefer side control then knee on belly, and i use north south too in no gi.. but whenever i pass to mount ill do so with a knee on belly slide less the chance of my opponent rolling..

Yea i thought the same for videos..never get to it tho lol

You always protect yourself, especially if you are a low belt/going against low belts

Don’t know why everyone is flaming OP.

Anyways if he didn’t give you time to tap, just talk to your instructor.

OP should've tapped earlier.

If dude gave him no time to tap, talk to the dude first then the coach.

Op nice troll post, 20 pounds amount to 4 big macs lol, a noteable size diference would be over 20 kg.

Maintaining position is mostly technique. Blaming someone else being strong is a cop out. You're just not good enough yet to hold someone down or transition on top of them when they move. Strength training is not the problem, there's always someone stronger. You just need to get better at keeping your weight on people and feeling them move so you can transition off their movement.

Op nice troll post, 20 pounds amount to 4 big macs lol, a noteable size diference would be over 20 kg.

Agreed. It's an advantage, but not a major weight difference to the point of smashing someone.

Agreed. It's an advantage, but not a major weight difference to the point of smashing someone.

Agree.....at times.

100 vs 120 bigger difference.
200 vs 220 not so big....
Math and stuff....

agreed
100 vs 150 50% w/w difference
200 vs 250 25% w/w difference

then it would matter more for the first case but again it matters more how much of it is lean mass and where is the weight located, besides stamina and strength which are the two most important things besides technique.

You can wear weighted clothes if you think weight makes that of a difference.

As far as OP is concerned it sucks knowing that you're gonna drop weight class if you take a dump in the morning, I feel you bro.

Last edited:
Back