Locked JUSTICE LEAGUE Movie Thread v.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kissing scene was pretty good.

kiss-gal-gadot-kate.gif

and whoever said ESPN is bashing it, they are paid by Disney so of course they are going to bash it, I don't think I've head them praise any DC movie including WW

RT can go to hell and die along with Claw Man
DC should stop making movies for at least ten years, so people start missing the DCEU and blame rotten tomatoes and consider all those movies as cult classics.

Posted in the other thread but will here too.

I absolutely hated BvS, MoS and SS but I really liked JL. I went in with super low expectations but was genuinely surprised at how good it is. The reviews didnt reflect the movie for me at all. It was fairly heavy on cgi which wasn't great and Steppenwolf sucked but the characters ahd great chemistry and were well done. Aquaman was a badass and Ezra was a great flash. Going in I thought Ezra would suck from what I had see in the trailers but he definitely pulled it off and impressed me. Overall I'd give it an 8/10.

I was really disappointed that they cut the scene with alfred talking to someone from the trailer from the final movie, it seems a weird choice considering it was such a talked about point. Superman felt too powerful, he easily beat steppenwolf and made him become a non threat instantly. Deathstroke looked incredible in the cameo he had, cant wait to see more. Seeing a lantern even if only for 2 seconds was cool, left me wanting to see more.

alright, so the review isn't bad at all.

25 mil worth of reshoots probably had a lot to do with that.

i got my tickets for sat morning. i'm actually kind of excited to see it.

You know guys, we are lucky AF. We didn't have these awesome comic book movies as kids. So i don't take it personal if they don't make a 10/10 film. I enjoy them for what they are.

lol ben affleck's batman deserves so much better

IMO, they should have kept Cyborg a secret to be revealed at the end of the movie. I would have done it differently. Kind of long read, but it's how I would have handled Cyborg while introducing someone for the Geeks to love.

I would show a Black, bald-headed teacher in a High School grading papers. Vic Stone / Cyborg (still fully human) is at College preparing to start in his first home game. He texts his former teacher asking if he'll make it to the game and says he couldn't have it done it without him. The bald-headed teacher replies "Wouldn't miss it for the world, you earned it". The teacher walks out to a Chevy Volt, the camera shows the Volt's electric symbol as he puts his stuff into the hatch. Return of the Mack plays while driving and he turns it up.

At the field Vic sees his dad in the stands and waves. His dad beams with pride, takes a pic, and tells the guy sitting next to him "That's my boy, he made starting offense AND the Dean's list!"

The teacher arrives at the game as the sky darkens. On the field Vic makes a long run. As the players walk towards the huddle flashes appear in the sky. Parademons start flying out, heading downward towards their prey. The teacher runs to the stadium as people start screaming. The teacher runs to the back of the stands as a Parademon lands in front of him. It shrieks, grabs him off the ground by the face, and pulls back his arm which ends in a large blade. The teacher puts both hands forward and a huge bolt of lightning blasts his foe, burning the face off. The Parademon falls to the ground. The teacher pulls a pair of shades from his shirt pocket and puts them on.

On the field Parademons are cutting through the crowd and players. One grabs a child by the hair dragging her backwards. As it steadies a literal "hand canon" at the girl Vic Stone runs and hits it in the spine, knocking it down. The girl runs away. The Parademon levels his canon and blasts Vic who tries to cover up. Vic's dad is running down the bleachers yelling "No!". The Parademon walks off to stalk more foes. Vic's Dad gets to his son and holds him. The teacher eventually comes upon the scene. He helps load Vic into his Dad's car.

After that I would show Vic's Dad arriving at a secured building where a co-worker opens the front door anouncing "We're going into lock down!". Vic's Dad opens the car door showing Vic in horrible shape. He simply asks "Help me."

A bit later in the film the teacher is in a populated area fighting on. His clothes are tattered. He's in his dress pants and black undershirt. He runs into Batman who seems somewhat surprised at his powers. A woman runs out of a building, almost knocking down the Teacher who's hand is glowing. She's terrified. Batman says "We're here to help, he's with me." She asks "Who are you?" Batman replies "I'm Batman, this is........Black Lightning." The woman wearily nods and runs off. Black Lighting says "Black Lightning, really? You coulnd't think of anything else?" Batman replies "You're dressed in black and shoot lightning from your hands, it was all I could think of."

Black Lightning says "Yeah, you're dressed in black and look like a bat but you're not "Black Bat". Then again you're not really Black either, right?"

The film goes on and Black Lightning doesn't join the league although he interacts with them. Batman says "If I need you, I know how to find you." The movie eventually ends. An extra scene in the credits shows a tech lab with a red tint to the light. Pan in and we see Vic's dad and co-worker stepping back from a table. Vic is covered up to his chin in a sheet, his head turned away. He turns his head towards the camera and his red eye is lit up as he puts a cyborg hand up to his face.

Now we gave Geeks Black Lightning and fleshed out Cyborg for a part II.

@Dragonlordxxxxx

Eeek

6.5 / 10

It's fun at times and Individually the Hereos are fine , but some of the Dialogue is so bad and the way the Story Flows leaves a lot to be desired.

The Good

Wonder Woman - Its clear that they edited it to where she is more prominent since the success of her solo Movie , I can dig that Gadot has a natural Charisma .

Flash -- Playing him as the wide eyed rookie in awe of the Other Heroes worked.

Aquaman -- Aqua Drogo had a cool quality about him , I like to rip on the Aquaman Character because of the old Cartoon Network Commercials but they presented him as this loner on the fence of what he wanted to be.

The Bad

The Story is pretty bad along with the Dialogue, it feels like 2 Movies one filmed by Snyder and mixed in with scenes edited and shot later by Whedon, the Tone doesn't Match.

The Ugly

Sunken Mustache CGI on you know who .

Ugh it's frustrating because you have Flashes of greatness , but overall jist falls flat.

I'm going to see it next week. I have basically no expectations so maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

@Dragonlordxxxxx

Eeek

6.5 / 10

It's fun at times and Individually the Hereos are fine , but some of the Dialogue is so bad and the way the Story Flows leaves a lot to be desired.

The Good

Wonder Woman - Its clear that they edited it to where she is more prominent since the success of her solo Movie , I can dig that Gadot has a natural Charisma .

Aquaman -- Aqua Drogo had a cool quality about him , I like to rip on the Aquaman Character because of the old Cartoon Network Commercials but they presented him as this loner on the fence of what he wanted to be.

The Bad

The Story is pretty bad along with the Dialogue, it feels like 2 Movies one filmed by Snyder and mixed in with scenes edited and shot later by Whedon, the Tone doesn't Match.

The Ugly

Ugh it's frustrating because you have Flashes of greatness , but overall jist falls flat.

Sounds like Whedon killed the movie

I'll wait for the Zack Snyder bluray cut

Fun movie. Love the World they are building.

Didn’t like how they made Batman such a pussy. I NEVER want to see Batman smile like that under his cowl again!

Didn’t like that they didn’t use the MoS theme.

7 out of 10

I miss my serious Nolan Batman movies now.

I miss Batman from BvS. He was such a badass in that movie.

Last edited:
Someone else should direct dc movies

So did synder snuck a 300 character in there?

Last edited:
It doesn't make a difference

Fandango refunds all my money and I can just use it to see another movie

bsYrdlz.png
fandango is great tho the imax near me doesn't sell their tickets on it for whatever reason

Affleck is probably about ready to be done with Batman.

Feels like no sooner did he start and he’s ready to stop lol. It’s kind of jarring cause they’re building to more Justice League movies and suddenly a core figure will be recast.

Can’t even think who would be a good replacement at this point. Affleck is damn good in the role though. Sucks that he’s ready to bail.

@Dragonlordxxxxx

Eeek

6.5 / 10

The Good

The Bad

The Ugly

Summed it up real well. Needed more Roose Bolton too.

Strange experience for me. Perfectly entertaining movie and felt like a good comic book flick but one of those films where a lot happens but it felt like nothing really happened at the end of it.

There’s certainly more i liked than disliked but they had a to cram a lot of stuff into two hours and you could feel that condensing. It was as though all the JL characters got their due but it still felt very contrived how they all ended up together and had to seamlessly become a functioning stable.

Everyone’s shitting all over Steppenwolf but I thought he had a cool look at least.

Update: November 16, 2017

Dragonlord’s Review of JUSTICE LEAGUE
(No Spoilers)

Bottom Line: Clunky and doesn’t flow smoothly, Justice League is adequately entertaining but far from the excellence the world’s greatest superhero team-up deserves and could have been.

cYjTVjs.jpg

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice was a mess because Warner Bros. rushed to catch up with Marvel Studios and so stuffed what should have been a Man of Steel sequel with a plethora of characters and inserted, and ultimately wasted, different iconic storylines from the comic books (Death of Superman and The Dark Knight Returns). Coupled with Zack Snyder’s dour and joyless storytelling, BvS deservedly got panned by critics and audience alike.

Warner Bros. knew it had to course correct the direction of the DC Extended Universe. WB knew at that time that Snyder with his “dark, metallic visual style and grim, brooding, muscular-emo sensibility” was not a good fit for their brand, let alone be the one to shepherd the rest of the DCEU movies. But the studio didn’t have the time to search for a new writer or director without delaying the production and so bit the bullet (and to save face from the public) and proceeded with Snyder at the helm for Justice League.

Due to his daughter’s death, Snyder took some time off and Joss Whedon was brought in to finish post-production. WB used this opportunity to cut off Snyder’s power as he will now have less creative input in the direction of the DCEU going forward. WB spent a massive $25 million on extensive reshoots that lasted two months (average reshoots range from $6 million to $10 million). And so after knowing the history of the production and behind-the-scenes drama, has WB transformed Justice League into a winner? Eh. It’s not a home run but it’s not a trainwreck either.

Justice League is about Batman recruiting a team of superheroes to save the Earth against an alien invasion led by Steppenwolf from Apokalips who seeks out three MacGuffins, Mother Boxes, scattered all over the world. The story is generic as they come, no different from most of the other superhero movies out there, but it is the execution that counts which Justice League is a bit lacking.

The first half of the film is clunky and the flow of the movie doesn’t run smoothly. WB’s foolish decision to not introduce these characters in their own solo movies bites them here as the film drags a little due to giving these new characters background origins as well as updating what’s happening with the existing main characters. Lois Lane (Amy Adams) and Martha Kent’s (Diane Lane) scenes in the first hour were momentum killers.

aFhOJc7.jpg

Among the new characters properly introduced, the Flash (Ezra Miller) steals the show not only with his comedic awkwardness and wide-eyed, gee-whiz enthusiasm but also for the fantastic feats from his super-speed. But traditional Barry Allen fans might not like this new version of the Flash. Aquaman (Jason Momoa) is a bore when he just grimace and broods early on but becomes more fun when he lets his wild side loose. Cyborg (Ray Fisher) is bland but amiable and is just there to make the team’s job easier since he has a connection to the MacGuffin. Mera was a badass and actress Amber Heard looked smoking hot.

Coming off from the success of her solo movie, Wonder Woman (Gal Gadot) continues to be a bright spot. Her bracelet bouncing prowess during the terrorist attack was dope. In what may be Ben Affleck’s last performance as the Caped Crusader, Batman is pretty good in here but less cool in some ways and more quip-friendly.

The main villain Steppenwolf (voiced and motion-captured by Ciaran Hinds) is a dull CGI villain and joins the ranks of one of the worst villains in modern comic book movie history. Though he gets to kill a lot of people and beat up the Justice League, he has no charisma, likes to sprouts cliché lines and his motivation is so unimaginative. It doesn’t help that his CGI face looks fake and takes you out of it.

Snyder and Whedon’s styles are so distinctly different that you can practically guess correctly which scenes are from Snyder and which are from Whedon. The film is visually gorgeous thanks to Snyder but wished he would lay off the pretentious slow-motion shots in uneventful scenes like the thugs being arrested for harassing an ethnic-looking store owner.

The action looks terrific most of the time. But some of the action – Wonder Woman and Aquaman battling Steppenwolf in particular - gets repetitive at the end and seemed to drag on forever to finish. The best part of the film which put a huge smile on my face was the awesome fight scene roughly at the one hour mark (see spoiler box below).

The most ironic thing is the ending to Justice League is very similar to the climax of Whedon’s Avengers: Age of Ultron. But there is one critical flaw in JL’s ending and that is it felt so isolated with no media coverage, no government monitoring and only a few civilians were seen and in harm’s way. As formulaic as it is, you can’t have an epic save-the-world scenario without those elements. That’s one of the reasons why JL’s climax felt flat.

aVdiJn1.jpg

As much as BvS got it wrong, there were a lot of really cool scenes in that movie. Justice League doesn’t have a lot of highlight reel moments. Though there are less mistakes and blunders, Justice League feels safe and didn’t take enough risks with Snyder being shackled and Whedon unable to effectively create any big impact on the movie with the limited window he had.

Danny Elfman did a good job with the score and I particularly loved it when he incorporated Tim Burton’s Batman theme and Richard Donner’s Superman theme in there. Wasn’t happy with the music he chose for the terrorist attack scene, reminded me of Elfman’s typical superhero score he prevalently used in the early 90s which made that terrorist attack scene feel too cartoony.

There’s two post-credits scene. The first one, which I bet is from Whedon, is an awesomely fun scene that pays tribute to its comic book roots. The second post-credits scene is an exciting meeting between an old DCEU character and the debut of a popular comic book character.

Does the film succeed in making me excited to watch the planned solo movies for the individual characters? It's a mixed feeling. Cyborg movie? Don't really care. Aquaman movie? Only if it's the wild and talkative Aquaman. If it's the brooding Aquaman, I'll still see it but don't have high hopes for it. Flash movie a.k.a. Flashpoint? If WB proceeds with the planned Flashpoint storyline, then the studio still doesn't have a clue what they're doing since you don't introduce a major altering storyline to a live-action universe that is just getting its feet wet.

The most disappointing of it all is they cut out all the scenes of the sixth member of the Justice League despite being heavily promoted in their posters [1] [2], cover books [3] and they even showed a clip [4] of this member in action.

Overall, Justice League is adequately entertaining with a few shining moments but seeing that this is the first live-action movie about DC Comics’ most iconic superhero group, you can’t help but feel that this could have been so much better.

Rating: 6.5/10 or 7/10

The movie was sort of bleh for the first hour but things got a whole lot more exciting when they revived Superman and he started fighting the League. This is my favorite part of the movie by far. I was grinning like a kid when Superman’s eyes suddenly followed Flash’s movements.

The ending with Steppenwolf showing fear and swarmed by Parademons was a bit lame. It got even lamer when they were all teleported presumably back to Apokalips. They should have killed Steppenwolf.

It would have had more of an effect if Lois Lane's first appearance here was when Alfred drops her and is revealed to be the "big guns." Meaning they shouldn't have shown her in the first hour.

I’ll add more after a while.

Link to previous thread: http://forums.sherdog.com/posts/135845257/

Great review!

Excellent, excellent point about Justice League playing it safer so making fewer mistakes but having fewer highlight reel moments. Titular fight in Dawn of Justice and the Batman warehouse scene >>> any action setpiece of Justice League.

That said, there were certainly moments of cool action in the big setpieces.

Supes vs. the rest of the League was a patently awesome scene, I will agree. Awesome way to highlight how powerful Superman is. The moment where his eyes follow Flash, as you said, and Flash looks shocked and scared shitless was easily one of my favorite funny moments in the movie but it was also a great moment in that it emphasized the extent of Superman's powers. It reminded me of the moment in DOJ when Batman is punching a Kryptonite-impacted Superman viciously in the face but the effects of the Kryptonite start to wear off and it's like Batman is literally punching an iron jaw. Moments like that just highlight cool comic bookish things that movies can do.

I felt like Cavill was doing more of a Reeve-esque aw shucks type interpretation this time around. Less of the world-weary Superman from the previous film. I like him in the role. And, just as I was hoping for, he returned and it was a squash match against Steppenwolf. Dude had absolutely nothing for him MMA style mismatch. "Is this guy still bothering you?" Completely son'd.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back