Social Kevin McCarthy ousted; Mike Johnson becomes US House speaker

No political reason or anything (though I do like their health care, education system, and commitment to the environment). CR is going to be my retirement home, love the place. I tried to get the wife to let me move us there and raise the kids as little American-Costa Ricans but she's too chicken.

I knew someone who had a place there, and they got burglarized all the time. Sounded awful, though they were surprisingly blasé about it.

It’s fine to say you dont want Biden, until it comes time to answer who we do want with a real shot at beating the MAGA cult.

This is a good channel where the guy just goes by hard numbers and trends:

Polls are a snapshot in time, with a little over a year to go.

Agreed. And to be clear, I’d have no problem at all voting for Biden again. I just don’t want the risk. Hopefully, you’re right and the polls move. But if they don’t…
Can’t watch the video right now, I will check it out later.

I knew someone who had a place there, and they got burglarized all the time. Sounded awful, though they were surprisingly blasé about it.
Petty theft is pretty common, not sure about burglary. Violent crime is very low. Most stories I’ve heard from ex-pats (sorry Sinister) are positive. I’m sure a lot depends on the neighborhood you choose.

Agreed. And to be clear, I’d have no problem at all voting for Biden again. I just don’t want the risk. Hopefully, you’re right and the polls move. But if they don’t…

Just remember the main reason the polls were wrong, first they are often skewed with loaded questions. Second they almost all consist of likely voters. Biden whooped Trump mostly on account of what are considered unlikely voters who turned up merely to keep Trump out of office.

Right this second the GOP are doing wonders for that sentiment.

Petty theft is pretty common, not sure about burglary. Violent crime is very low. Most stories I’ve heard from ex-pats (sorry Sinister) are positive. I’m sure a lot depends on the neighborhood you choose.

Her area seemed really nice from pictures. But there was like a really nice patio, and just whatever she left out overnight would be taken. Murder rate is crazy high now too (apparently a recent development).

Just make sure to say you're an immigrant and not an "ex-pat" like all the other Americans who flee like to refer to themselves as so they dont feel dirty

Immigrant is a word used by host country, ex-pat, diaspora, paisanos or whatever is a word used by immigrant themselves.

Just remember the main reason the polls were wrong, first they are often skewed with loaded questions. Second they almost all consist of likely voters. Biden whooped Trump mostly on account of what are considered unlikely voters who turned up merely to keep Trump out of office.

Right this second the GOP are doing wonders for that sentiment.
iirc the polls leading up were favorable to Biden in 2020, or at least very close. Like I said, it’s early, so I’m not panicking just based on current polls, but at some point you have to start believing them. And I sure as fuck don’t want to have to rely on AZ and GA to go blue again when the potus has like a 40% approval rating. I don’t have a great name for a replacement, tbf.

Her area seemed really nice from pictures. But there was like a really nice patio, and just whatever she left out overnight would be taken. Murder rate is crazy high now too (apparently a recent development).
The first sentence had me reaching for some tissues. The second sentence killed the mood. Third had me shed a tear and I was glad I had a tissue in hand.
What a great short story Jack. Bravo

This Israel/Palestine shit is gonna fuck him up real good. More votes for Cornell West...

This Israel/Palestine shit is gonna fuck him up real good. More votes for Cornell West...
Can’t see how him making a bunch of speeches on the world stage would improve his standing, gotta be honest. But at least he’s been right on the issue.

How do you think he does in swing states?

Really depends on who he's against. I think personality, and how a candidate connects with the voters is just as important as policy. We saw Joe win in swing-state Pennsylvania in 2020 (Yes I know he's from there) even though they're the 2nd largest producer of Natural Gas.

Back