Keystone pipeline leaks 210K gallons of oil in South Dakota

this is more of a regular pollution issue, not a climate change one. you know dumping oil on the grounf is bad yes?
consider that regular rail would have spit out considerably more than this measly 200K spill. I did the math in my previous post. 200K of spill vs 1.5B gallons of used crude.

So much hand wringing.

First we and they need to know what caused the leak. Then they need to get it cleaned up ( the company paying for all of this).
Then they need to determine if there is any on going problems that need fixing.

A pipe line is the safest way to transport oil. Look the the history of pipelines and other means.

consider that regular rail would have spit out considerably more than this measly 200K spill. I did the math in my previous post. 200K of spill vs 1.5B gallons of used crude.

so this is totally fine because larger spills have happened in the past? no need to change a thing?

So much hand wringing.

First we and they need to know what caused the leak. Then they need to get it cleaned up ( the company paying for all of this).
Then they need to determine if there is any on going problems that need fixing.

A pipe line is the safest way to transport oil. Look the the history of pipelines and other means.

Stop defending Trump you POS #Imstillwithher.

so this is totally fine because larger spills have happened in the past? no need to change a thing?
lmfao, where did I say that? I brought context to the thread, pipelines are regarded far safer than other methods, and way less pollution.

Kind of like allowing the elephant heads into the US again. Really now good way to spin it and if you do you sound like a dum dum

Lol, Trump wants to murder and decapitate elephants, spray oil all over the world and nuke North Korea.

Its not really all that much. Its easy to clean up aslong as its not getting into streams. Better it on land than a ocean vessel spilling the same amount directly into the ocean.

That sounds bad but pipelines are the best and safest ways to transport it

lmfao, where did I say that? I brought context to the thread, pipelines are regarded far safer than other methods, and way less pollution.

that doesnt mean that this isnt a pretty major fuck up.

Thanks captain obvious that point wasn't me already made a bunch and pretty known by all before this spill happened.

The context is why is this "state of the art" pipe that is only 7 years old already failing when much, much older pipes don't and what does this mean for the giant fucking transcontinental pipeline the same company is completing that they swear, like they did with this leaky POS, won't fail.

Where is anybody agruing to go back to just rail transport? You're in an imaginary debate against nobody.

The discussion should be how do we get the proper oversight to make sure corners aren't cut by profit obessesed oil companies so this doesn't keep happening and what motives are keeping our politicians from already doing that.

Thanks captain obvious that point wasn't me already made a bunch and pretty known by all before this spill happened.

The context is why is this "state of the art" pipe that is only 7 years old already failing when much, much older pipes don't and what does this mean for the giant fucking transcontinental pipeline the same company is completing that they swear, like they did with this leaky POS, won't fail.

Where is anybody agruing to go back to just rail transport? You're in an imaginary debate against nobody.

The discussion should be how do we get the proper oversight to make sure corners aren't cut by profit obessesed oil companies so this doesn't keep happening and what motives are keeping our politicians from already doing that.
so a pipe that has already moved 60+ Billion gallons is failing?

If you transport liquids, leaks will happen. I wonder if those protesters had a viable alternative to meet our needs for energy until we do go green. I'm willing to bet the answer is no.

Funny but the Keystone Pipeline has nothing to do with meeting our energy needs as the US is a net exporter of oil. The keystone pipeline was a favor to Kelsey Warren who is a big Republican donor.

I have no idea why this leaked, maybe it was sabotaged, maybe during the obama administration regulations were removed to make a point later? Normally this type of construction is highly regulated. The welders have to have special certifications, the welds are inspected with an x-ray machine etc.
Not saying they wouldn’t try and save cost on pipe or whatever but the pipeline companies that build and install these don’t just throw them in the ground and hope for the best

Obama didn't deregulate oil pipeline inspections and there's zero evidence of sabotage.

I've read statements by former oil company employees from Alberta that said when there's government oversight of construction the safety and integrity of the pipes is higher. When oil companies are left to their own corners are always cut.

Here in the state's we don't seem to have any government agency over seeing the construction, which TransCanada clearly needs as their state of the art pipes are failing after
seven years. When our environment and water tables are at stake that's unacceptable.

so a pipe that has already moved 60+ Billion gallons is failing?

Yes. There are much older pipes that have moved much more oil that haven't spilled thousands of gallons of it into the local environment. That's not failing.

Being relatively brand new, "state of the art", and spilling oil is failing. There's a reason be it materials, engineering/design, or construction for that fail and it should be investigated by someone who's not 100% financial invested in the company. The entire construction process should be overseen by a government agency that doesn't profit from cutting corners.

So I've read this thread and I've come to this conclusion.

Republicans or climate deniers seem to be all in favor of pointing out the environmental impact of using trains or trucks to move oil over a pipeline. You my friends are not allowed to talk about environmental impact if you deny fossil fuels have an impact in the first place.

that doesnt mean that this isnt a pretty major fuck up.
sure it's a fuckup, but we dont know why it happened. Find the problem and fix it. If needed, set a new regulation.

Even self driving cars fuck up, and it doesnt mean we should trash the idea, I want my self driving car already, I'm not getting any younger.

So I've read this thread and I've come to this conclusion.

Republicans or climate deniers seem to be all in favor of pointing out the environmental impact of using trains or trucks to move oil over a pipeline. You my friends are not allowed to talk about environmental impact if you deny fossil fuels have an impact in the first place.
I drive an electric car, owned the Leaf when it was first release. Do I get a moral authority award yet?

Funny but the Keystone Pipeline has nothing to do with meeting our energy needs as the US is a net exporter of oil. The keystone pipeline was a favor to Kelsey Warren who is a big Republican donor.
So it's just a containment device used to circulate oil?

Yet, they don't get pissed off at reports of giant wind turnbines killing hundreds of thousands of birds every year.
that's a legit issue that is being brought up sometimes, but i don't see why you keep deflecting this much. if you don't care why bother making yourself look like an asshole?

No, construction of XL hasn’t even started yet at all.

Maybe you’re thinking of the Dakota Access Pipeline, the one the Native Americans were protesting back in the fall. That one was mostly complete, then Obama shut it down, by taking away the easement for it, then Trump reversed that so it could be finished. That’s not Keystone XL.
I remember reading almost half of it was completed back 14, I’m on an iPad so I’m not going to started googling and linking old articles to win a goofy internet argument

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back