Khabib brutally dwarfed by football player (van dijk)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soccer isn’t that popular in the US and even then that doesn’t mean all the athletes are known or more famous. Trust me that guy isn’t known that well in the US, no one pays attention to soccer/football here. Khabib is far more famous all around then him, he’s known everywhere.
My man, its just simple math, soccer is 1000 times more popular than MMA around the world. MMA is not as big as you think it is. Maybe in your circle of friends it is, but worldwide it is not. I understand Khabib's popularity but to think he is well-known around the world is crazy. He is well-known in SOME parts of the world (US, Russia, parts of Europe). But soccer is the most popular sport in the world and is not even close. Virgil van Dijk, and countless other soccer players, are very well known around the world, in Europe particularly. I understand soccer is not big in the US but anyone who likes soccer even a little knows who is the best defender in the world.

You could make the argument with Mayweather or Canelo, they are probably very-well known all around the world, make more money, etc.

**EDIT**
BTW i dont know what sponsors you think Khabib has but there is no way they are paying him millions of dollars a year.

Last edited:
My man, its just simple math, soccer is 1000 times more popular than MMA around the world. MMA is not as big as you think it is. Maybe in your circle of friends it is, but worldwide it is not. I understand Khabib's popularity but to think he is well-known around the world is crazy. He is well-known in SOME parts of the world (US, Russia, parts of Europe). But soccer is the most popular sport in the world and is not even close. Virgil van Dijk, and countless other soccer players, are very well known around the world, in Europe particularly. I understand soccer is not big in the US but anyone who likes soccer even a little knows who is the best defender in the world.

You could make the argument with Mayweather or Canelo, they are probably very-well known all around the world, make more money, etc.

**EDIT**
BTW i dont know what sponsors you think Khabib has but there is no way they are paying him millions of dollars a year.
I never said mma is the most popular sport both a few athletes are known worldwide. Look at Khabibs Instagram followers. MMA still is a global sport. Soccer can be a bigger sport but doesn’t mean they have household names like lesser sports do. Nothing towards any other country but if your not known in the US then your not globally famous.

Yeah, when I mean work, I don't just mean training. I mean anything that helps them be a better fighter, like studying fights, shadow boxing, coming up with strategies, etc. A guy like Conor, for example, is obsessed to the point that even if he's not training, he's still thinking about fighting and trying to work things out, all the time. Probably has declined a bit now, but I'd bet he is still pretty obsessive. This obsessive behavior is much more clearly attributable, than just the somewhat abstract concept of talent, IMO.

It's also why I don't understand TJ getting shit for hitting pads on the baggage carousel. That's the kind of behavior I want to see from fighters. Fedor23
Fair, i understand that and i think i agree, being extremely passionate and obsessing about the martial art(s) is needed to make it to the top, or at least in pretty much all cases is needed, if one is not extremely lucky and hard and smart working in the other areas.

As for TJ: i understand both opinions on that, haha.
On one hand, it's great (and motivating) to see how much some guys do for their sport, but on the other hand, a day has 24 hours and i highly doubt that he did so much that day that he couldn't have done that same session with his coach in a gym/private room which would also be a better setting for most circumstances. (I'm saying most, because maybe he wanted to test TJ's sharpness in a situation where he feels uncomfortable, as strange as that sounds.)
<[analyzed}>
I get that. The point is, there's a lot more to it than learning techniques to successfully implement those techniques. Also, you don't really need to learn that many moves with soccer, so why do you think they would be exceptionally talented at it, in general? The variety of moves implemented in MMA vastly outnumbers what you see in soccer. I think dancing is a much better comparison for abilities that are translatable to fighting . Soccer doesn't set a high requirement in that area, TBH. People aren't coming out with revolutionary new soccer moves for as far as I know. It's always basically kind of the same. There is much more creativity in MMA and a much broader field of techniques.
For sure there's more to it - but - and i want to make that clear one more time to avoid misunderstandings:
That's why i've been talking about soccer players having the talent to solely learn the movements in a way that allows them to execute the technique itself in a sharp, fluid manner - of course in a real fight you'd need to stay calm (enough) and all that things, but that's why i've been focussing (basically only) on pro soccer players talent in learning movements with their limbs and their body very fast and having a brain that allows them to calculate moving things with extreme precision.

As for the moves in soccer vs MMA: you're 100% right! There aren't many movements in soccer, not even nearly as many in MMA, but - and that's the catch - it's impossible to execute them in a way that is good enough for the highest level if you're not born with an amazing gift in hand/leg-eye-coordination.
I give my best to explain why, but let me just say to my defense that i feel it's hard to explain to someone (or hard to understand for someone) who hasn't played (correct my assumption if it's wrong please!) soccer in a club for a few years.

Alright, so as someone who's untalented in terms of hand/leg-eye-coordination, i was (due to a ton of practice relative to my peers) somewhat decent at passing (in terms of direction, not so much in terms of putting the perfect amount of force into the ball, which means that sometimes a pass was to hard/fast or to soft/slow) or shooting a ball accurately, that i had already under control; meaning that the ball was on the ground and didn't bounce.
However, problems began to arise very quickly, once i had to control a pass that has been played towards me, where the ball slightly bounced, was mid-air or had a bit more pace on it - when that happened, i was very clumsy and clearly levels below my teammates; it either took me longer to bring the ball intro control, or the ball - despite my hardest efforts - bounced too far away from me, which as you can imagine, is not what you want.
Additionally, when i ran with the ball at my feet, i found it nearly impossible to keep an eye on my surroundings, since i had lots of trouble running with the ball at my feet without taking my eyes of it.

On the contrary, i was extremely good at reading my opponents and anticipating their movements, but since i was so bad on a technical level (technical = everything in regards to what i do with the ball) it wasn't of too much help, not was the fact that i was somewhat fast and robust.

TL;DR: i had extreme trouble with everything in soccer where the ball moved somewhat fast and/or came to me in a manner which required me to precisely calculate/estimate it's path + speed and the fact that i was very good at anticipating things and read my opponents, was somewhat fast and robust didn't even remotely make up for it.

And in regards to how soccer translates to MMA, i didn't mean to say that the things you learn in soccer are beneficial to MMA, but that being gifted with a mega good hand/leg-eye-coordination is something that you can massively benefit from in MMA, more than anything on the feet (and to be precise: in striking exchanges) i would say.
But you're right, soccer doesn't require you to learn a lot of techniques (at all) - it just requires you to be able to do them in a way which just requires insane amounts of hand/leg-eye-coordination, if you want to become a pro there.
Of course there are several overlaps, but not so strongly that you can easily transition into MMA at a late age. There might be some exceptions of course, but as a rule I don't see it.
That's fair.
I think that for most divisions, we currently see a significant increase in skill in MMA overall anyways; in particular guys like Umar Nurmagomedov and Arman Tsarukyan jump to my mind; fighters who can do it all, but not just what you'd consider jack of all trades, but guys which are very technical in both grappling and striking, on top of being fast and having good cardio.
It's an oversimplification of how genes work. But to humor you, post sources for said fact.
This is where i must disappoint you and believe me, i wish i had something to show you here right now.
Most of what i've mentioned here is from things i've perceived or read, this goes from the fact that when we (my old soccer team) played different sports, the guys that were technical at soccer, also always happened to be great (from a technical standpoint) in other sports (be it basketball or tennis) to stories about (very good) basketballers getting into striking martial arts and making irregularly fast progress there, to a former pro basketball player who was obese and trained far less (in soccer) than me and still was a lot better, to other stuff - and in regards to the technically good soccer players who immediately were/became good at basketball and tennis, i have several examples.

In regards to how many genetic factors are at play, i can't tell you, i only know (again, from what i read and anecdotal + personal experience) that people who're (technically) good at tennis have a (technical) talent for soccer and vice versa, so it doesn't seem to be the case that the genes make a difference between leg, torso, or arm movement in terms of if you're talented, be it due to the limbs always being equally effected, the ability of the brain to process the visual information being the factor for hand/leg-eye-coordination, or both.

What i do know however, is that there's apparently no correlation between gross motor skills (which i'm terrible at) and fine motor skills (which i'm really good at).
Depends on the person. Can't give you an answer that fits all.
Ya, no big deal.
Cardio vascular fitness is just the ability of your circulatory system to provide your body with oxygen, which directly benefits your muscular endurance, because your muscles need oxygen to endure stress for a prolonged time.
Of course it benefits the muscles, but if it was the only factor, a marathon runner would also immediately have great endurance on the mat, although there seems to be some kind of overlap and if not in grappling, then certainly in striking martial arts.

I only know that there are three energy systems; aerobic, anaerobic (lactic) and anaerobic(alactic).
The first uses oxygen, but the others don't.
As far as i know, the first one (aerobic) needs to be good in order to have a base to build the others up upon though.

But i need to re-read some stuff and inform me more, if we wanna discuss this matter further. In regards to martial arts, it just seems to be the case that the guys with crazy gas tanks also always run a lot. (and not sprints, but longer steady state runs).

Sorry for that massive wall of text man, but i couldn't do it with less words, lol.
EDIT: i didn't mention it initially, but i have some training experience in MMA, so while i have way more personal experience in soccer, there's at least a bit of training experience in MMA.

Last edited:
Agreed, it's a super important element in a good team that fits that philosophy.. but most football teams aren't good enough to play this way, it takes a long time to implement that style of football into a squad like Barcelona, City or Arsenal even of the past, possession based teams excel with that type of defensive quality... But that isn't my favoured style of football to watch, it's arguably the most successful, but I prefer a riskier game-plan both to play in and watch.. I like wingers who cross balls, overlapping fullbacks, box to box midfielders and strike partnerships.. Old school lol. Like a lot of the Barcelona exclusive players, I think they struggle in a tougher more competitive league around shitter players.
Makelele to me îs a far more impressive player than Busquets because he did it in different countries and pretty much defined the role.
Yeah maybe you're right.
I like many kinds of football, it's hard for me to decide between a prime Klopp team or 2011 Barcelona, they're both marvelous to watch.
Klopp calls his kind of football "heavy metal fußball/football" btw, i think that fits greatly, lol.

Hm, i think it depends on the player, because i feel this is something that's often overblown; like when a player scores many goals and assists a lot and people say "yeah, but he's too dependant on the system!" i think that's often not true.
This is something that gets said about Messi a lot, but i think it couldn't be further from the truth in his case actually, but there are also footballers out there who actually do depend more on certain styles of play; Timo Werner for example seems to excel in teams who play lots of counter attacks, whereas he's not as good in possesion-based teams, from what i know.
Yeah agree with this, I mean I think there's a bias amongst attacking players themselves never mind in comparison to defenders lol
Absolutely.
It's understandable/logical that this is the case, but it still kinda sucks.
He's good when the pressure isn't on him, when the expectations fall on his shoulders, he shits the bed. Very much requires other people around him to lead the dance and he slots in where he's comfortable, sometimes quite well defensively, he put's a shift in for sure, but he can't grab a game by the balls and make the team better, like Roy Keane could or like Bruno does to an extent for us now.
Ah, that i can agree with.
I meant to say that Pogba is very much able to find solutions for crowded situations on the field, as in being very good to shield and protect the ball even in chaotic situations, sometimes in spite of being a big lad.
I think he lacks the mentality, yeah. I still hope for him he flourishes though, i like him and praised him too much in the past, so if he doesn't deliver, i'll look like an idiot, ahaha.
Yeah not sure what it was that damaged his other eye though.
Probably drank windshield washer fluid <45><Lmaoo>
Yeah I think so, truely Daredevil shit!
{<redford}

Brutally dwarfed? Is that even possible to do to another human?

I know what you mean, but the thing is that the talent to do the things they do with their feet and have brains that make it easy to treat a ball that is coming at them mid air with quite some velocity at times is the same talent that enables a guy like Anderson Silva to dodge three punches and sit his opponent down with a straight punch to the button right afterwards.

For this reason, people who're great at basketball, are unusually decent at soccer too and vice-versa.

I'd guarantee you that if you take any pro soccer player on the highest level (or any NBA player) and teach him MMA, he'd learn all the techniques super fast, especially if we're talking about a technically gifted player.
A guy on here told me basically the exact same thing; a friend of his was a gifted basketball player and when he got into boxing (or maybe it was kickboxing, not sure anymore) he picked up the technique and got good at it absurdly fast.

I think pretty much any athlete from any sport would have a huge advantage transitioning to MMA over just an average joe. Not only because of the obvious physical conditioning advatanges, but because of the coordination and reflexes they've developed.

I think pretty much any athlete from any sport would have a huge advantage transitioning to MMA over just an average joe. Not only because of the obvious physical conditioning advatanges, but because of the coordination and reflexes they've developed.
Yeah i mean over the average joe anyways, but in regards to soccer the hand/leg-eye-coordination was the thing that's great to have i focused on.

The movements are different (vastly) but like i said, the guys who're technical in soccer, always do insanely well at everything that requires hand/leg-eye-coordination, or to be more precise; anything that involves things/targets that move fast.

There was for example a documentation about Cristiano Ronaldo a few years ago, where he had to head a ball into a goal, but shortly after the ball was shot into the air from a bit further away, they turned the lights off and he had to do it completely blind, yet it didn't make a difference at all; he basically estimated the whole trajectory and speed of the ball fully correct, despite only seeing the first glimpse of the ball being shot/passed towards him.
Crazy stuff.

Like mentioned in a large post of mine here, i know a couple of (very technical, relative to their team and league) soccer players who're also very good tennis players, despite being new to the latter.
I am 99% certain that what enables them to process the visual input of a moving ball so quickly and accurately is the same thing that enabled a guy like Conor to intentionally evade a punch from Eddie Alvarez very narrowly but perfectly and return with a super accurate counter.

Yeah maybe you're right.
I like many kinds of football, it's hard for me to decide between a prime Klopp team or 2011 Barcelona, they're both marvelous to watch.
Klopp calls his kind of football "heavy metal fußball/football" btw, i think that fits greatly, lol.
Of the two Klopp's is way closer to my preferred style, Tika-Taka makes me sleepy, I actually prefer Pep's Premier League adaptation of what he did at Barcelona.
Heavy Metal Football haha, what a dude, I'd say Millwall in the 80's or early 70's Leeds were more "heavy" though lol.

Hm, i think it depends on the player, because i feel this is something that's often overblown; like when a player scores many goals and assists a lot and people say "yeah, but he's too dependant on the system!" i think that's often not true.
This is something that gets said about Messi a lot, but i think it couldn't be further from the truth in his case actually, but there are also footballers out there who actually do depend more on certain styles of play; Timo Werner for example seems to excel in teams who play lots of counter attacks, whereas he's not as good in possesion-based teams, from what i know.
I believe Barcelona's general tactical philosophy has been the same for the most part for years and years, minor tweaks from managers here and there, but essentially Cruyff's "Total Football" initially ingrained what has continued all these years later to become possession based football or Tika Taka if you like, the only time Messi has had to perform in a system radically different to the one at Barcelona is with his National Team, where he has notoriously not looked as good basically his entire time in it with a few exceptions.. If he was asked to play in a Hoofball 4-4-2 system, or an Italian 5-3-2 defensive counter attacking situation, I genuinely think he struggles to make half the impact he has done... Though saying that I do believe him to be versatile and i'd rate him the 2nd best attacking player of all time.

For sure you're right on Werner! Intrigued to see how he does at Chelsea now with the new manager, and Kai.

Ah, that i can agree with.
I meant to say that Pogba is very much able to find solutions for crowded situations on the field, as in being very good to shield and protect the ball even in chaotic situations, sometimes in spite of being a big lad.
I think he lacks the mentality, yeah. I still hope for him he flourishes though, i like him and praised him too much in the past, so if he doesn't deliver, i'll look like an idiot, ahaha.
Oh yeah, he's amongst the best i've seen at shielding the ball, his balance is unreal with shrugging dudes off the ball, and his gangly long legs control the ball in a really difficult way for defenders on him. I rate him highly, certainly not one of these United fans who want him out, though it seems likely. In a more comfortable team than ours he does the business, totally needs the right players around him to deliver to his maximum capability, Pirlo and Vidal quality around you and you're laughing, McTomminay and Matic aint making anyone look good around them lol.

Probably drank windshield washer fluid <45><Lmaoo>

LOL, He's a mad bastard wouldn't put anything past him.. last time I listened to Bisping Podcast he was talking about going into surgery the next day to get his neck fixed and it required them "putting him to sleep, slitting his throat and moving everything out the way" so casual about it, that dude gets a major surgery every week it seems.

giphy.gif
Talk about insecure. U know this thread has nothing to do with conor right?

Of the two Klopp's is way closer to my preferred style, Tika-Taka makes me sleepy, I actually prefer Pep's Premier League adaptation of what he did at Barcelona.
Heavy Metal Football haha, what a dude, I'd say Millwall in the 80's or early 70's Leeds were more "heavy" though lol.
Fair enough, i'd have to go back and watch old barca, but from an excitement-standpoint, i think i'd currently favor to watch a prime Liverpool as well.

And lol @ the Millwall thing, they were heavy indeed haha.
I believe Barcelona's general tactical philosophy has been the same for the most part for years and years, minor tweaks from managers here and there, but essentially Cruyff's "Total Football" initially ingrained what has continued all these years later to become possession based football or Tika Taka if you like, the only time Messi has had to perform in a system radically different to the one at Barcelona is with his National Team, where he has notoriously not looked as good basically his entire time in it with a few exceptions.. If he was asked to play in a Hoofball 4-4-2 system, or an Italian 5-3-2 defensive counter attacking situation, I genuinely think he struggles to make half the impact he has done... Though saying that I do believe him to be versatile and i'd rate him the 2nd best attacking player of all time.
Barca has stayed the same basically indeed, would agree to that.
I do (partially) disagree on Messi though, i think the problem with Argentina is, that they're just generally terrible as a team and i also think that some players don't always push themselves as hard as necessary when Messi's around, since they (consciously or subconsciously) expect him to do the important stuff.

From all the articles i've read, i certainly can't point to a weakness in Messi which would be dependent by any type of footballing system.
I wish the article existed in german, because both the article and the page is absolute cream of the crop when it comes to analyses of players, games and systems, but there's a page called Spielverlagerung.de which is mainly done by guys who to my knowledge had/have jobs at clubs like Mönchengladbach, RB Salzburg etc. and they have an in-depth-analysis on Messi (also one on C. Ronaldo, the brazilian Ronaldo and others i think) and i was blown away when i first read it.
It's like reading kindergarten books to explain stuff for your whole life (even as an adult) and all of a sudden you read something written by Stephen Hawking... obviously an exaggeration, but it's really crazy how much there is to football, players and the tactics, they call themselves the best page about football too i think, lol. (and it's certainly not an outlandish claim).

Now what i wanted to say here, is that the only "real" weaknesses they've assigned Messi are that he's sometimes a bit lazy defensively, which is why he doesn't capture the ball as often from the opponent, which according to the article is something he used to be great at, due to his fast reaction time, cleverness, speed and physicality (agility and balance mostly, i guess.)

The article is written by Rene Maric who (i googled it now) is currently assistant coach at Borussia Mönchengladbach.
It's german, but here's it anyways:
(Note: it was made at the end of 2012)
https://spielverlagerung.de/2012/10/19/spieleranalyse-lionel-messi/

Fun fact: if Messi, Xavi and C. Ronaldo were all 180 cm tall, Ronaldo's legs would be 99 cm long, Xavi's 96 cm and his own 87 cm long. (The average for the height would be 95 cm, btw)

Here's a great article on the Messi vs Ronaldo debate from 2016 in english though (focuses on Messi):
https://grup14.com/article/messi-s-edge-over-cristiano-ronaldo-is-far-beyond-golden-balls.html
For sure you're right on Werner! Intrigued to see how he does at Chelsea now with the new manager, and Kai.
I think he had a bit trouble thus far, but who knows how much the overall state of the team/club plays a role - Lampard got sacked i think, after all (could be wrong though.)
Kai is quality, i think he's less dependant on counter attacking than Werner is, but we'll see, hehe.
Oh yeah, he's amongst the best i've seen at shielding the ball, his balance is unreal with shrugging dudes off the ball, and his gangly long legs control the ball in a really difficult way for defenders on him. I rate him highly, certainly not one of these United fans who want him out, though it seems likely. In a more comfortable team than ours he does the business, totally needs the right players around him to deliver to his maximum capability, Pirlo and Vidal quality around you and you're laughing, McTomminay and Matic aint making anyone look good around them lol.
Summed it up perfectly!
LOL, He's a mad bastard wouldn't put anything past him.. last time I listened to Bisping Podcast he was talking about going into surgery the next day to get his neck fixed and it required them "putting him to sleep, slitting his throat and moving everything out the way" so casual about it, that dude gets a major surgery every week it seems.
I know right?<45>
The dude is like 50% bionic right now, lol. I hope that was the last surgery for a while though, i only really started to like him when he retired, but i don't want him to become "brittle" or a wreck.

@Jose Beehive i would love to see how many letters we type on average per post, because in that regard i think we're quite elite, or certainly on our way to become it, with how the discussions in this thread turn out.<Lmaoo>

It's a good way to gauge for sure(First touch), did you see Ronaldo volleying(well not quite but nearly) those corners in pitch darkness? lol

You get guys with far inferior first touches who are better at other aspects that involve coordination, guarantee Wan Bissaka is a better pin point tackler than all of those listed, which also requires amazing coordination to time correctly, and yet he's only recently become a defender in his career so it seems weird to me because he hasn't grown up learning those defensive habits.

Side note just cos it interests me - You also get dudes like Ousmane Dembele and Adriano(Barcelona), Mason Greenwood, who are naturally 2 footed, born ambidextrous, yet rarely do we see any of these types of players ever become top 5 in the world at their respective positions.. Which to me is weird to me when you get dudes like Robben who are almost exclusively 1 footed in everything they do.

What I've realised is that most left-footed players struggle shooting with their right foot. Whereas right-footed players seem to be a lot more comfortable when shooting with their weaker foots.

I never said mma is the most popular sport both a few athletes are known worldwide. Look at Khabibs Instagram followers. MMA still is a global sport. Soccer can be a bigger sport but doesn’t mean they have household names like lesser sports do. Nothing towards any other country but if your not known in the US then your not globally famous.
This is simply not true. Again, just because your average American doesnt know someone doesnt mean those people are not very well known around the world. The fact that hundreds of soccer players are litrerally millionaires and very well known around the world proves that they dont need the US to be global.

Fair enough, i'd have to go back and watch old barca, but from an excitement-standpoint, i think i'd currently favor to watch a prime Liverpool as well.
If you enjoy a minimum of 70% possession and 1000 passes a game then it's fantastic, chances created perfectly from making the opposition uncomfortable with and without the ball. It's truly masterful, it's like Adesanya or Floyd Mayweather, but I don't enjoy them either for very similar reasons lol. It's not why I watch football or fighting, I can appreciate it hugely but if everyone played like that or fought like that i'd quickly lose interest in all those sports, thankfully that is and will never be the case though :)

Barca has stayed the same basically indeed, would agree to that.
I do (partially) disagree on Messi though, i think the problem with Argentina is, that they're just generally terrible as a team and i also think that some players don't always push themselves as hard as necessary when Messi's around, since they (consciously or subconsciously) expect him to do the important stuff.
He's been in that Argentina squad for 16 years, they have had some amazing world class players and coaches, yet underperform. He did okay in a pretty fortunate running in the 2014 world cup squad, but the remaining 15 years as an Argentina player have mostly been full of frustration.
You could be right in that some don't push themselves when he's in the team, but the best team player in the world and captain should be making them.

From all the articles i've read, i certainly can't point to a weakness in Messi which would be dependent by any type of footballing system.
I wish the article existed in german, because both the article and the page is absolute cream of the crop when it comes to analyses of players, games and systems, but there's a page called Spielverlagerung.de which is mainly done by guys who to my knowledge had/have jobs at clubs like Mönchengladbach, RB Salzburg etc. and they have an in-depth-analysis on Messi (also one on C. Ronaldo, the brazilian Ronaldo and others i think) and i was blown away when i first read it.
It's like reading kindergarten books to explain stuff for your whole life (even as an adult) and all of a sudden you read something written by Stephen Hawking... obviously an exaggeration, but it's really crazy how much there is to football, players and the tactics, they call themselves the best page about football too i think, lol. (and it's certainly not an outlandish claim).

lol Nice! Will try and find a way of translating the page... most of my journalistic research comes from Four-Four-Two magazines, I have thousands of them and they are the worst thing for moving house as they weigh a fucking shit load! Amazing articles in them though and often some incredible photography too.

I mean it's all hypothetical really, I think to an extent it does a disservice to the players who he's benefited from playing with and the concrete philosophy of Barcelona to say he could do it in another league.. of course he has the ability to perform in a great team in another league, I think he'd do really well at Liverpool or City in recent years, one which has insanely direct cutting in from wide players(Liverpool), and one that is basically perfectly cut out for his style(City) he'd smash it at Paris, Bayern, Juve no doubt too because basically any very good player would, but teams a peg down from the best in the league like Mourinho's Spurs, Lampards Chelsea, Arteta's Arsenal, or Ole's United, Conte's Inter etc etc I think he struggles to hit anywhere near the numbers he has done, he looks like that frustrated Messi at Argentina imo... However I do believe Ronaldo scores 20-40 goals in any of those teams listed under any tactical approach and is far more independently led minded, he's way more of a psychological leader, who is infectious on the players around him also wanting to try really hard(Like that Portugal side) a Passion Merchant one might say lol.

Now what i wanted to say here, is that the only "real" weaknesses they've assigned Messi are that he's sometimes a bit lazy defensively, which is why he doesn't capture the ball as often from the opponent, which according to the article is something he used to be great at, due to his fast reaction time, cleverness, speed and physicality (agility and balance mostly, i guess.)

The article is written by Rene Maric who (i googled it now) is currently assistant coach at Borussia Mönchengladbach.
It's german, but here's it anyways:
(Note: it was made at the end of 2012)
https://spielverlagerung.de/2012/10/19/spieleranalyse-lionel-messi/

Fun fact: if Messi, Xavi and C. Ronaldo were all 180 cm tall, Ronaldo's legs would be 99 cm long, Xavi's 96 cm and his own 87 cm long. (The average for the height would be 95 cm, btw)

Here's a great article on the Messi vs Ronaldo debate from 2016 in english though (focuses on Messi):
https://grup14.com/article/messi-s-edge-over-cristiano-ronaldo-is-far-beyond-golden-balls.html

I think that's mostly a fair article from that time though I don't come to the same conclusion's because of the information, I agree with most of how they describe Messi's qualities and tactically what he offers the team(Though there are more things to criticise him on in 2021).

They say in that article Messi doesn't need height and heading ability because it's not what he needs for the type of player he is, yet suggest Ronaldo lacking some of the technical aspects of Messi makes him inferior, with no "He doesn't need them" option, which I don't think is fair, as I actually think less is more with Ronaldo's game style.

It all essentially comes down to what do you prefer a creative team playing Wide Attacking Midfielder who is 10/10 at everything he needs, or a Goalscoring more one dimensional Forward who is 11/10 at competitiveness, hard work and is aggressively direct and goal hungriness but like 7/10 in many other areas.
It's Roy Keane vs Zidane, It's Cantona vs Bergkamp, it's Bruno vs Modric, it's Rio vs Vidic, Pirlo vs Gattuso etc etc ... Everyone who picks Ronaldo picks the bolded, everyone who picks Messi picks the other.

I think he had a bit trouble thus far, but who knows how much the overall state of the team/club plays a role - Lampard got sacked i think, after all (could be wrong though.)
Kai is quality, i think he's less dependant on counter attacking than Werner is, but we'll see, hehe.
Yeah both have been pretty flat so far, though Bundesliga players often struggle at first.. They just got Tuchel from PSG to replace sacked Lampard, i'm not super familiar with him I know he did pretty well with Dortmund post Klopp.

I know right?<45>
The dude is like 50% bionic right now, lol. I hope that was the last surgery for a while though, i only really started to like him when he retired, but i don't want him to become "brittle" or a wreck.
My favourite Bisping gif lol
UniformBoldGreendarnerdragonfly-max-1mb.gif

@Jose Beehive i would love to see how many letters we type on average per post, because in that regard i think we're quite elite, or certainly on our way to become it, with how the discussions in this thread turn out.<Lmaoo>
LMAO Is pretty outrageous! Think we've done this shit thread some justice to some degree ... I hope anyway.

TLDR: It's too long don't read.

What I've realised is that most left-footed players struggle shooting with their right foot. Whereas right-footed players seem to be a lot more comfortable when shooting with their weaker foots.
Yeah I could see that, though I think most players who are exceptionally Left Footed get more attention paid to it positively.

For example, Robben or John Arne Riise always had people banging on about how good their left foot is whilst, Antonio Valencia who was also extremely Right Footed got slated for that.

Last edited:
If you enjoy a minimum of 70% possession and 1000 passes a game then it's fantastic, chances created perfectly from making the opposition uncomfortable with and without the ball. It's truly masterful, it's like Adesanya or Floyd Mayweather, but I don't enjoy them either for very similar reasons lol. It's not why I watch football or fighting, I can appreciate it hugely but if everyone played like that or fought like that i'd quickly lose interest in all those sports, thankfully that is and will never be the case though
Yeah, that's fair and obviously a question of taste.
He's been in that Argentina squad for 16 years, they have had some amazing world class players and coaches, yet underperform. He did okay in a pretty fortunate running in the 2014 world cup squad, but the remaining 15 years as an Argentina player have mostly been full of frustration.
You could be right in that some don't push themselves when he's in the team, but the best team player in the world and captain should be making them.
From what i've seen, the squad overall seems to be horribly lethargic at times, it's crazy.
Plus many players perform worse than in their clubs, yet Messi often has good performances.
If it wasn't for him scoring three goals in which i think was the final qualifier game, they wouldn't have been at the 2018 world cup at all.
If he could just incite more fire in his team mates on an international level, that'd be great, but i don't criticize him or any other player in a similar role for that matter that much, because there needs to be a certain level of overall "motivation" so to say in any team and in argentina, this often does not seem to be the case, because it shouldn't take a captain to be motivating as hell to beat opponents (significantly) below your level, which is something that argentina has often failed to do in the past.
lol Nice! Will try and find a way of translating the page... most of my journalistic research comes from Four-Four-Two magazines, I have thousands of them and they are the worst thing for moving house as they weigh a fucking shit load! Amazing articles in them though and often some incredible photography too.
They're great, though i only infrequently read some of their articles, but those i do read, definitely enjoyed.
Regarding the topic, they did great articles in their "100 greatest footballers ever" series.
I mean it's all hypothetical really, I think to an extent it does a disservice to the players who he's benefited from playing with and the concrete philosophy of Barcelona to say he could do it in another league.. of course he has the ability to perform in a great team in another league, I think he'd do really well at Liverpool or City in recent years, one which has insanely direct cutting in from wide players(Liverpool), and one that is basically perfectly cut out for his style(City) he'd smash it at Paris, Bayern, Juve no doubt too because basically any very good player would, but teams a peg down from the best in the league like Mourinho's Spurs, Lampards Chelsea, Arteta's Arsenal, or Ole's United, Conte's Inter etc etc I think he struggles to hit anywhere near the numbers he has done, he looks like that frustrated Messi at Argentina imo... However I do believe Ronaldo scores 20-40 goals in any of those teams listed under any tactical approach and is far more independently led minded, he's way more of a psychological leader, who is infectious on the players around him also wanting to try really hard(Like that Portugal side) a Passion Merchant one might say lol.
Surely you can't forget the players around him, but at least when comparing him with Ronaldo, i don't take that into consideration too much, because they've both played in probably the best teams that ever existed (and gosh do i hate to say that about Real Madrid, lol).
I don't know if Ronaldo would deliver more in the slightly worse teams you've mentioned than Messi would do, i think they'd both be great at the top teams and slightly worse but still damn good in the lesser teams, though Ronaldo's the more infectious (passion-wise) person on the pitch, so if that's part of your consideration, then Ronaldo *might* help a team more then messi solely because that quality is so good in him and helps to elevate his team mates.
I think that's mostly a fair article from that time though I don't come to the same conclusion's because of the information, I agree with most of how they describe Messi's qualities and tactically what he offers the team(Though there are more things to criticise him on in 2021).

They say in that article Messi doesn't need height and heading ability because it's not what he needs for the type of player he is, yet suggest Ronaldo lacking some of the technical aspects of Messi makes him inferior, with no "He doesn't need them" option, which I don't think is fair, as I actually think less is more with Ronaldo's game style.

It all essentially comes down to what do you prefer a creative team playing Wide Attacking Midfielder who is 10/10 at everything he needs, or a Goalscoring more one dimensional Forward who is 11/10 at competitiveness, hard work and is aggressively direct and goal hungriness but like 7/10 in many other areas.
It's Roy Keane vs Zidane, It's Cantona vs Bergkamp, it's Bruno vs Modric, it's Rio vs Vidic, Pirlo vs Gattuso etc etc ... Everyone who picks Ronaldo picks the bolded, everyone who picks Messi picks the other.
Ya i see where you're coming from with that comparison apparently being unfair, but for me it's like this: on a footballing level, Messi can do almost anything that Ronaldo does and he's better in most regards, plus he's amongst the world's best in regards where Ronaldo clearly isn't (be it dribbling, playmaking or passing) and i think that's what they base their comparison on, they don't compare them relative to their roles, but relative to the sum of all of their offensive abilities.
I'd prefer Messi because i could use him in Ronaldo's role (in which he'd obviously less of an aerial threat, but more of threat in things like driblling, etc.) but i could use him when and however i want in another role as well and if it's any offensive position on the field, he'd still be absurdly good.

Messi's versatility also leaves way more options for combinations in the offense, but another way that i think illustrates what i mean in this regard is the following; i think there are from time to time, at least for a season or so, strikers that can match (or almost match) Ronaldo in his role, be it current Lewandowski, a prime Suarez, or a prime Falcao (man what a player he was years ago...) and you'll also always have insanely good playmakers, be it Iniesta, De Bruyne, a prime Özil or someone else - but the thing with Messi is, is that he can fill either of these roles to an extent where you couldn't ever possibly say "we need a better player than him in this position" imo - he's basically a 10/10 at everything with the ball; if you manage to not let him through to goal, he'll split defences with passes, if you want to successfully mark him for 90 minutes, you'll inevitably open up a fair lot of space elsewhere, he's just so damn good.
Yeah both have been pretty flat so far, though Bundesliga players often struggle at first.. They just got Tuchel from PSG to replace sacked Lampard, i'm not super familiar with him I know he did pretty well with Dortmund post Klopp.
You're right, totally forgot about Tuchel lol.
In terms of expertise and football knowledge, Tuchel is insanely good, but i think he lacks a lot of the interpersonal component which especially nowadays is needed to successfully coach a team, especially over longer periods of team.
In that regard, he reminds me of Guardiola a bit, though i think that on a superficial level, Guardiola still is more of a likeable guy to have as coach, if that makes sense.
Don't get me wrong though, Tuchel isn't a horrible person, but there's something very aloof about his demeanor.
My favourite Bisping gif lol
I'd say that's pretty accurate, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back