Should the UFC make it rain?

• Total voters

Kowboy On Sherdog

Once Upon a Time in The UFC
Staff member
Sherdog.com Staff
Reaction score
upload_2023-11-12_11-36-44.png

Khabib Nurmagomedov claims he has never fought with money as his primary motivation.

Nurmagomedov, 35, hung up his gloves at his peak in 2020, retiring as a champ with a perfect 29-0 record. The former Ultimate Fighting Championship lightweight king recently hinted that he has received multiple million-dollar payday offers to bring him out of retirement.

While Nurmagomedov admits it isn’t easy to turn down that kind of big money, “The Eagle” refuses to budge from his decision, one he claims he will never regret.

“When you’re the best fighter in the world, when you’re strong enough, when you have money, when you’re famous, it’s very hard to say no to all these things,” he told Daniel Cormier on UFC Fight Pass’ "Ultimate 30” countdown (transcription via MMAFighting.com). “It’s very hard. It’s not easy. It’s not easy [to] just say no to $20, $30, $40 million dollars. But for myself, it’s not everything. This is not most important. It was not an easy decision, but if I decide, I decide. It’s finished. I leave this alone. I am happy and I never regret my decision. Never.”

Nurmagomedov walked through the UFC lightweight rankings during his championship reign, leaving behind the likes of Justin Gaethje, Dustin Poirier, Rafael dos Anjos and Conor McGregor in his wake.

Nurmagomedov’s decision to retire came following a Round 2 submission win over Gaethje at UFC 254, keeping a promise he made to his mother after the demise of his father and coach, Abdulmanap Nurmagomedov.

Dana White initially brushed off Nurmagomedov’s retirement announcement as an emotional outburst, insisting the Dagestani would return to action. However, White also came to terms with Nurmagomedov’s retirement with time as “The Eagle” remained firm on his stance, even recently walking away from full-time coaching duties.

No amount of money is likely to bring Nurmagomedov out of retirement, as the former UFC champ claims that has never been his motivation. Recalling a conversation from his early career, Nurmagomedov reminded Cormier how surprised the latter was to hear the purse he was getting paid to fight. However, “The Eagle” was unbothered, having had only one goal in mind since his childhood training days in Dagestan: to become a UFC champion.

Continue Reading
https://www.sherdog.com/news/news/K...Down-Massive-Paydays-to-End-Retirement-191694

If they want him to come back that bad then sure, pay hi. Whatever. But honestly, I doubt that money would be what brings him back. He's enjoying retirement

Make it rain?

h6s07l6it5d11.gif

To come back and do what? He's not going to fight at lightweight whilst Islam is champ and despite everyone making out that Khabib is the only guy to ever cut weight, 155 is where he fights.

Khabib Nurmagomedov claims he has never fought with money as his primary motivation.
There's a few fighters that I could believe that from. He's included on that list, though that's not to say that he was probably benefited from already being comfortable with his other avenues in life

View attachment 1011316

Nurmagomedov, 35, hung up his gloves at his peak in 2020, retiring as a champ with a perfect 29-0 record. The former Ultimate Fighting Championship lightweight king recently hinted that he has received multiple million-dollar payday offers to bring him out of retirement.

While Nurmagomedov admits it isn’t easy to turn down that kind of big money, “The Eagle” refuses to budge from his decision, one he claims he will never regret.

“When you’re the best fighter in the world, when you’re strong enough, when you have money, when you’re famous, it’s very hard to say no to all these things,” he told Daniel Cormier on UFC Fight Pass’ "Ultimate 30” countdown (transcription via MMAFighting.com). “It’s very hard. It’s not easy. It’s not easy [to] just say no to $20, $30, $40 million dollars. But for myself, it’s not everything. This is not most important. It was not an easy decision, but if I decide, I decide. It’s finished. I leave this alone. I am happy and I never regret my decision. Never.”

Nurmagomedov walked through the UFC lightweight rankings during his championship reign, leaving behind the likes of Justin Gaethje, Dustin Poirier, Rafael dos Anjos and Conor McGregor in his wake.

Nurmagomedov’s decision to retire came following a Round 2 submission win over Gaethje at UFC 254, keeping a promise he made to his mother after the demise of his father and coach, Abdulmanap Nurmagomedov.

Dana White initially brushed off Nurmagomedov’s retirement announcement as an emotional outburst, insisting the Dagestani would return to action. However, White also came to terms with Nurmagomedov’s retirement with time as “The Eagle” remained firm on his stance, even recently walking away from full-time coaching duties.

No amount of money is likely to bring Nurmagomedov out of retirement, as the former UFC champ claims that has never been his motivation. Recalling a conversation from his early career, Nurmagomedov reminded Cormier how surprised the latter was to hear the purse he was getting paid to fight. However, “The Eagle” was unbothered, having had only one goal in mind since his childhood training days in Dagestan: to become a UFC champion.

Continue Reading
https://www.sherdog.com/news/news/K...Down-Massive-Paydays-to-End-Retirement-191694

Good for him.

One of the few fighters I never doubted, to be honest.

Dana saying he would bring him back just showed how different the two are as characters.

To come back and do what? He's not going to fight at lightweight whilst Islam is champ and despite everyone making out that Khabib is the only guy to ever cut weight, 155 is where he fights.
The only thing I can imagine is GSP, but that ship has sailed a few times over.

Even if Conor got a BS shot and somehow managed to spark Islam, and Dana came calling while talking about the storyline of avenging him, Khabib would probably still be like, "No, this is not my revenge to take. Islam will grow. He will be champion again. Alhamdulillah."

If his only motivation was to become UFC champ, why not do it in a division where he doesn't need to kill himself to make weight?
2x champ gotta be appealing.

Lets see how he does at WW boys.

I can't wait until I'm dead so I never have to hear about him anymore.

20 30 million? I wanna see who legit offered him this, because it wasn't the UFC.

I still can't believe the figures for Ronda and Conor that came out recently. They were being robbed blind.

If his only motivation was to become UFC champ, why not do it in a division where he doesn't need to kill himself to make weight?
2x champ gotta be appealing.

Lets see how he does at WW boys.
Well when the person you got into fighting for dies, the fire of competition dies with it. Life is a bitch like that

Back