Khabib or Islam. Who is Better?

Maybe Islam is better in the gym, but he isn't even close to have proven that he's better in the only place that matters : the cage.

I think Khabib is better. He has improved greatly from say the I aquinta fight to the McGregor fight and has better takedowns. Also when Islam got knocked out it was really just a knockdown that the ref stopped as soon as he hit the floor.
He gets dropped, puts his arms up to defend and Martins hammerfists him directly on the chin then both of Islam's arms go to his side as the ref is jumping in.

Maybe Islam is better in the gym, but he isn't even close to have proven that he's better in the only place that matters : the cage.
He's not better in the gym either.

Mendez said Khabib has by far the best grappling, takes it to a higher level than Islam. Islam only has "more technical standup".

At best Islam has won some rounds off of him out of many and is the only guy to do that.

rBrDDkQaATafsp8BTcWKKhu0gH5cJ_ZazI46z-enCFwWXTuKUwlY9RTIkJ3BQ5QKgt9A=s0-d-e1-ft

As it stands right now, it shouldn't even be up for debate.

Way too early to be asking this, but ISlam already has a loss on his record.

Let’s wait a bit before making this thread

I recently saw Josh Thomson say that Islam is better than Khabib everywhere except mindset. (I'm paraphrasing)

Thomson coaches both fighters at AKA for those that don't know.

EDIT: found it

Timestamped

Last edited:
Honestly, why? The point IS to speculate on where Islam's true level is.

Seems hard to do considering the level of competition is different. RIght? SKILL wise they might be similar with the sambo titles but until Islam’s got some fights against the top I feel we can’t get a real idea

Islam is more technical on the feet, perhaps a bit craftier with his wrestling, but Khabib I think might have a better grappling game overall in the sense that Islam can probably do more things in that phase than Khabib, but he can't do any of the things Khabib does better than Khabib. It's mentioned above that the one thing Islam lacks is Khabib's mindset, and I think that could hold some weight too because I've never seen Islam fight with the relentlessness and fearlessness that Khabib has.

Also physically I think it's a case where Islam has overall cleaner technique, but Khabib is a lot more athletic and just plain tougher, which allows him to still be better in spite of that. I've seen them compared to the Pettis bros, where Sergio clearly has better fundamentals, but is less of an athlete, not as durable, and less confident than Anthony, who is shaky on some fundamentals but is super athletic, durable, confident, and intimidating (or at least he was), and it led him to a lot of success over being a master technician. Of course that's not to say that Khabib or Anthony aren't technical, but they have physical gifts and mentalities that give them more leeway in that regard than Islam or Sergio have. I feel like Khabib knows he can be a little funky and make certain mistakes because he's tough and athletic enough to deal with the consequences or avoid them altogether; meanwhile Islam perhaps knows he can't fall back on that so he focuses more on not making mistakes, which can stifle dynamism, make you less dangerous, and at times even make you an easier opponent to deal with.

Of course none of this means Islam can't be every bit the heir apparent to the division Khabib says he is.

islam has potential to be better, hard to top khabib at 155 right now but if anyone could do it.

islam would be right at the top of the list.

it is funny how many posters commented that khabib had a better record.

but i think people just love to say that. over and over.....

it may be a shock to some, a better record does not make you a better fighter.

just ask izzy

Khabib

- far better athlete, far more explosive. Makhachev is a good athlete but Khabib is one of the best we've seen in MMA

- much better defensive sturiking and chin, we've seen Makhachev rocked by Davi Ramos and KTFO by Martins. Khabib is very awkward and not fundamentally sound but his defensive is undeniably very effective, very hard to hit him clean to the face

- has one of the better jabs in the division to stay at his range, Makhachev doesn't have the same range weapon standing to control distance

- is one of the best pressure fighters ever due to the above combined. Makhachev doesn't have a refined style because of it

Usman Nurmagomedov from Bellator has more potential than both

Islam’s grappling is extremely technical and complete, yet it doesn’t quite give the sense of unrelenting, punishing feel to it - Khabib likes to gnp more which is probably what explains it. Khabib probably has a better chin too but that’s yet to be seen

Seems hard to do considering the level of competition is different. RIght? SKILL wise they might be similar with the sambo titles but until Islam’s got some fights against the top I feel we can’t get a real idea

That's my point though is for us to speculate on Islam's potential. I wanted to ask early on purpose. At some point we'll have our answer and by then there would be no reason to have this discussion.

I think khabib would win because his standup is further along. Especially defensively. Haven’t seen Islam compete at a level where his standup is important yet. Hell get there. But he’s not on the level khabib was as a complete mixed martial artist.

Wrestling? I mean, your guess is as good as mine. I felt like I was watching vintage khabib watching him handle dober like that
Not sure how to explain it, I feel like Islam CAN be better than Khabib, but at the same time, he also has a significantly higher chance of losing to inferior opponents than Khabib does.
I'm not as confident with Islam beating Khabib's opponents, he definitely doesn't have Khabib's chin, and that's a massive factor. His grappling looks smoother, but I'm pretty sure he himself has said several times that Khabib is better. It probably cancels out. I think Islam's potential is higher, but his chin just doesn't look good. If they fought each other, I don't know if chin would play a factor, it would be more about cardio and who can dig deeper. Would have to give Khabib the edge obviously.
I think Khabib is better. He has improved greatly from say the I aquinta fight to the McGregor fight and has better takedowns. Also when Islam got knocked out it was really just a knockdown that the ref stopped as soon as he hit the floor.
Makhachev might be as good as Khabib skill wise but he does not always deliver 100% when it counts. He seems not as confident as Khabib and might not be as mentally tough.
Skills are probably similar, but Khabib is a fucking animal

He has a great chin and his mental strength is insane. Look how he just marched down Edson and justin?

They probably have close spars,but if khabib went all out he would break Islam
Islam is apparently better skill wise according to everybody at AKA, but khabib just has the mental and ability to put it all together and take it to another level in the octagon, I don’t know if Islam will ever have that but he can still be one of the goat LWs without it. Just not as good as khabib
Islam is faster at diving in for legs, but i think Khabib got slower after when he tore his ACL.
Khabib has better cardio, chin and top control.
He's not better in the gym either.

Mendez said Khabib has by far the best grappling, takes it to a higher level than Islam. Islam only has "more technical standup".

At best Islam has won some rounds off of him out of many and is the only guy to do that.

rBrDDkQaATafsp8BTcWKKhu0gH5cJ_ZazI46z-enCFwWXTuKUwlY9RTIkJ3BQ5QKgt9A=s0-d-e1-ft
I recently saw Josh Thomson say that Islam is better than Khabib everywhere except mindset. (I'm paraphrasing)

EDIT: found it

Timestamped

Islam is more technical on the feet, perhaps a bit craftier with his wrestling, but Khabib I think might have a better grappling game overall in the sense that Islam can probably do more things in that phase than Khabib, but he can't do any of the things Khabib does better than Khabib. It's mentioned above that the one thing Islam lacks is Khabib's mindset, and I think that could hold some weight too because I've never seen Islam fight with the relentlessness and fearlessness that Khabib has.

Also physically I think it's a case where Islam has overall cleaner technique, but Khabib is a lot more athletic and just plain tougher, which allows him to still be better in spite of that. I've seen them compared to the Pettis bros, where Sergio clearly has better fundamentals, but is less of an athlete, not as durable, and less confident than Anthony, who is shaky on some fundamentals but is super athletic, durable, confident, and intimidating (or at least he was), and it led him to a lot of success over being a master technician. Of course that's not to say that Khabib or Anthony aren't technical, but they have physical gifts and mentalities that give them more leeway in that regard than Islam or Sergio have. I feel like Khabib knows he can be a little funky and make certain mistakes because he's tough and athletic enough to deal with the consequences or avoid them altogether; meanwhile Islam perhaps knows he can't fall back on that so he focuses more on not making mistakes, which can stifle dynamism, make you less dangerous, and at times even make you an easier opponent to deal with.

Of course none of this means Islam can't be every bit the heir apparent to the division Khabib says he is.
Islam’s grappling is extremely technical and complete, yet it doesn’t quite give the sense of unrelenting, punishing feel to it - Khabib likes to gnp more which is probably what explains it. Khabib probably has a better chin too but that’s yet to be seen
islam has potential to be better, hard to top khabib at 155 right now but if anyone could do it.

islam would be right at the top of the list.

it is funny how many posters commented that khabib had a better record.

but i think people just love to say that. over and over.....

it may be a shock to some, a better record does not make you a better fighter.

just ask izzy
Khabib

- far better athlete, far more explosive. Makhachev is a good athlete but Khabib is one of the best we've seen in MMA

- much better defensive sturiking and chin, we've seen Makhachev rocked by Davi Ramos and KTFO by Martins. Khabib is very awkward and not fundamentally sound but his defensive is undeniably very effective, very hard to hit him clean to the face

- has one of the better jabs in the division to stay at his range, Makhachev doesn't have the same range weapon standing to control distance

- is one of the best pressure fighters ever due to the above combined. Makhachev doesn't have a refined style because of it

Thank you guys. These are the type of breakdowns I was looking for. I read them all.

It's so easy to give the non answer of "It's too early." Which is obvious and defeats the purpose of the thread.

Islam isn't Khabib 2.0...he will probably hold his own on the ground but if they fight mma rules...khabib beats him handily...

I think the best way to determine this would be to rebook RDA v Islam. RDA at 36 years old is still a solid competitor and the perfect boost up in the rankings for Islam after his recent win. It'll be interesting to see if he can surpass Khabib's performance against a common opponent.

Back