Kicking the calf vs kicking the thigh, which is the better leg kick technique?

You haven't seen a high level Muay Thai fighter wilt from them because no one is using those kicks and no one is throwing them coz its not even a traditional muay thai technique. It seems harder to check, impossible to catch and brace for and even if checked, you kick the lower and weakest part of the opponent's shin

'traditional' ...what is that? Are you saying that the thais crossed that technique off the list at some point during sport MT's 100 year history? ...or do you suppose that it is some western invention that they have never heard of?

Any kick that is effective in MT can and will be used. The reason why no one uses it, is because it is easier to check, and because high level Thais are too well-conditioned to be stopped by, or even impeded by calf kicks.

I can see that they seem to be a nuisance in MMA, but again: MMA guys aren't properly conditioned to take, throw or even check kicks. So yeah, I expect that an MMA guy or MT hobbyist will find them painful. Imagine what happens to your average MMA guy if they land on a hard check like this:

okzu3a.gif

Oh yeah: *gruesomeshinbreak.gif*

Also: they don't check kicks because a) they aren't good at it b) they fight from a long stance, which makes it harder to check effectively

This is the real answer. Some guys condition their body and legs so they can absorb more. At the end of training we pair up with someone else and throw ten body kicks to each side, and then ten across the front. Then we do ten outside kicks and ten inside kicks followed by ten lower ones and inside lower ones. We don’t start out full force but when you get with someone that’s been doing it forever you can kick much harder.

You see a huge difference with guys that’ll get kicked in the liver hard as fuck and keep walking forward like nothing happened, or guys like matt brown who get kicked there once and cover up. It surprises me that everyone on that high of a level isn’t doing this conditioning more.
giphy.gif

Well, calf kicks are great in MMA because people have a wider stance, and are harder to catch. To be honest, I feel that the less meat is being struck, the more damage you inflict. With this I mean that you have to strike flesh with your leg kicks, but you should aim for the weak spots.

Calf-kicks and high leg-kicks targeting the hip/upper part of the thigh (where the tendons connect) IMO do the most damage. However, if you miss the spot you'll hit hip/shin, which might hurt a lot.

Ts is a smaller dude.

I’d say calf and side of the knee.

Thighs are bigger and can absorb more, even on an Uber Manlet.

How is it easier to check when people are used to lifting their leg up to check. Also, even when they check you're kicking the lowest and weakest part of their shin.
Because you don't have to lift your leg, you only need to turn your shin out to check. Easier.

Well, given that Cejudo's foot was literally non-functional for a couple of minutes, following a couple of DJ calf kicks, and given the havoc those same kicks have been wreaking in the cage lately, I am going with the calf. Short of a Pat Barry kick to the thigh, thigh kicks usually cause issues following prolonged use. It is very rare to see someone fold after just a couple of thigh kicks. But, lately the calves have sure been making guys limp, very noticeably, and after only a few kicks. I think with the density and the mass of the thigh muscle, it is built to withstand more damage. But, what happened to Henry's foot was the weirdest thing I had ever seen happen during a fight, his foot was just flopping on his leg, and he had no control or ability to position it.

I spar in Muay Thai regularly (usually hard and against bigger guys often) and have the goal of competing in MMA in the near future. I'm around 5"6 140 lbs. I find a lot of success landing naked leg kicks against almost anyone mainly due to speed and timing (instead of throwing combos first). When I kick lower, it puts them off balance allowing me to land punches. When I kick the thigh, It either makes more noise or it feels like I did more damage coz you're hitting more meat basically. Although you have to come closer, you're safer when kicking lower coz Its harder to check lower I think and it's nearly impossible to catch (which is useful when fighting wrestlers in MMA). Trading with a right hand is hard when off balance.

What I really want to know is which one does more DAMAGE for the rest of the fight with the FEWER KICKS? Finally, which one affects movement more and the ability to throw power punches with weight on the damaged leg.
I believe there is a nerve on the outside of the thigh which when hit can kinda shut down the leg. That’s what I’ve been told. It has happened to me and my leg goes almost numb.

I spar in Muay Thai regularly (usually hard and against bigger guys often) and have the goal of competing in MMA in the near future. I'm around 5"6 140 lbs. I find a lot of success landing naked leg kicks against almost anyone mainly due to speed and timing (instead of throwing combos first). When I kick lower, it puts them off balance allowing me to land punches. When I kick the thigh, It either makes more noise or it feels like I did more damage coz you're hitting more meat basically. Although you have to come closer, you're safer when kicking lower coz Its harder to check lower I think and it's nearly impossible to catch (which is useful when fighting wrestlers in MMA). Trading with a right hand is hard when off balance.

What I really want to know is which one does more DAMAGE for the rest of the fight with the FEWER KICKS? Finally, which one affects movement more and the ability to throw power punches with weight on the damaged leg.

Just be careful...
legsnap.gif

7FoO80G.gif

Yh but imagine they his were all going to his calf. Or we can ask Gilbert Melendez or Rory MCdonald. Or Robbie Lawler (inside leg kicks). Its just that more people learn kicking the thigh coz itz traditional. In the future everyone will be kicking the calf.
Why even ask the question if you’re mind is basically made up already.

gonna have to go with calf, seeing how many guys have been getting fucked up by just a couple of em in the last year or 2.

bendo bless.
Anyone know an mma fighter who was kicking the calf before bendo. He seems to be the first in the ufc

Thigh kicks.

I think calf kicks are just for fighters who can't kick use normal leg kicks very effectively.

'traditional' ...what is that? Are you saying that the thais crossed that technique off the list at some point during sport MT's 100 year history? ...or do you suppose that it is some western invention that they have never heard of?

Any kick that is effective in MT can and will be used. The reason why no one uses it, is because it is easier to check, and because high level Thais are too well-conditioned to be stopped by, or even impeded by calf kicks.

I can see that they seem to be a nuisance in MMA, but again: MMA guys aren't properly conditioned to take, throw or even check kicks. So yeah, I expect that an MMA guy or MT hobbyist will find them painful. Imagine what happens to your average MMA guy if they land on a hard check like this:

okzu3a.gif

Oh yeah: *gruesomeshinbreak.gif*

Also: they don't check kicks because a) they aren't good at it b) they fight from a long stance, which makes it harder to check effectively

In MMA people have to worry about takedowns.

Back